Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Black marks on old windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Craigmac

I have tried just no nonsense degreaser with wfp but that does not shift it.

I understand you can just use a magic eraser to scrub this off. But how would you remove them from the first and second floor just using wfp?

Not planning on doing any ladder work.

@Clisty1989 @Iron Giant @Green Pro Clean Ltd 

Regards

20180505_160708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think some Unger Rub Out on a sponge tied to your WFP might get that off, but as it looks like the seals breaking down they will come back fairly quickly anyway.
I was thinking the seals are past their prime. 

The amount of **** that came off them was crazy. 

Thanks part timer 

As above seal shot, even if you do manage to get the white, within 2 months they be the same again. I just explain the seals are shot, only way to fix it is replace it. Managing expectations is a big part of the job.

I can't see why you would need to remove it from a second floor, only ever had one customer this fussy but he really needed a full restoration not a window clean. Has the customer asked for this or is it just something you want to get done for the sake of your workmanship?

I can't see why you would need to remove it from a second floor, only ever had one customer this fussy but he really needed a full restoration not a window clean. Has the customer asked for this or is it just something you want to get done for the sake of your workmanship?
It is just something I want to get done before I unleash myself on paying customers. 

And am curious to see how strictly wfp workers get around this.

It is just something I want to get done before I unleash myself on paying customers. 

And am curious to see how strictly wfp workers get around this.
The guys on here have taught me to set expectations on things like this. Getting rid of marks like that or greying is heading into restoration territory and you can charge a lot more than you do for a window clean.

I turned up to a one off clean where the guys windows were grey all over. He wanted them brought back to bright white but wanted to pay for a window clean. I made the mistake of not setting his expectations from the start.

Once you head into removing all marks like that you are looking at hundreds. I know you said you're not interested in ladder work but a restoration job like that could pay a couple of hundred quid. I wouldn't push it because you will be there all day polishing frames but if the customer asks for it then its something you should consider. Even having to buy a ladder and some Unger rub off the first job would easily pay for itself.

The only thing to note is that the seals are shot. As the other guys have said this will return in a couple of months. The guy who wanted this from me planned to clean them himself in future ? Realistically he would have not bothered for months at a time and probably not cleaned the frames. I reckon he would have been back on the phone in 2 months when they started to grey up again.

Back