Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

bird poo on custys window

gwindows

Got a text from a custy saying there was bird shite on her window  after i had done them ??? Never missed any even done the bit on her door 
 But she sent me the text ten days later after they had been done  :??
What do they expect me to do after ten days ????

Last edited by a moderator:
I do some on the NE coast and they have been hit over night. Customers know that's the luck of the game. If they're really good customers then tell them that next time you're passing you'll do the window. If they aren't really good customers then tell them you'll get it next time. 

I had one last year 1-2 days after the clean saying I had missed bird poo on the patio doors impossible I thought to myself impossible ? , So apologised and said I would call back first thing the following morning and re-clean it , No she said it's absolutely fine but can we cancel the windows apparently they were cutting back on  expenses and this had being the push to give me the shove. 

8 weeks later they had a tradder cleaning them for not much cheaper as he came and told me that he had been asked to quote them but knew that I cleaned them and didn't want to be treading on my toes, So I explained what had happened.

I had one last year 1-2 days after the clean saying I had missed bird poo on the patio doors impossible I thought to myself impossible ? , So apologised and said I would call back first thing the following morning and re-clean it , No she said it's absolutely fine but can we cancel the windows apparently they were cutting back on  expenses and this had being the push to give me the shove. 

8 weeks later they had a tradder cleaning them for not much cheaper as he came and told me that he had been asked to quote them but knew that I cleaned them and didn't want to be treading on my toes, So I explained what had happened.

Some just don't like the windows left wet. We had it often in the early days. Our neighbour at the back of us was a typical example. She had a trad window cleaner for years. He went wfp and was dumped for another tradder who also went wfp. The cycle happened about 4 times but she couldn't find a repalcement tradder the last time.

She asked me to make a special exception and trad her windows. I said no and she eventually asked me to clean them. We made sure the windows were left spotless and now 5 years later we are still cleaning them and have had several referrals from her.

We got cancelled for a streak we supposedly left on a window 2 cleans previously. We cleaned the family home for years until she left him and moved out. She asked us to clean her windows but he thought we were telling her what he was doing - hence he dumped us.

Over the years we have heard the same excuses.

We are having new windows fitted is one. We drive past one every month and years later the windows are still the same.

We are going on holiday and will give you a call when we get back. Still waiting for the call.

Can we cancel as its coming to winter so we don't want them cleaned. We will call you to resume cleaning them in spring. No they don't.

My husband has lost his job and we are having to cut back. See husband on the high street a few months later and ask if he has found a job yet. He didn't loose his job and knew nothing about us not cleaning the windows anymore. On parting;  "Please give our best wishes to your wife." I'm sure that made an interesting few minutes when he got home.

Then we have all had the 'I'm looking for a good reliable window cleaner and have been unable to find one. Please can you do our windows.' After the first clean the regular clean then miraculously turns into a one off. 'We will call you when we need you again.' We had one that caught my son with that and then asked me a few years later. She didn't know we were on the same team. We warned a few others and her windows were dirty for a long time after that.

But someone has since done them and I'm sure they got caught as well.?

We've just got a new dog and we don't want you to clean the windows because he gets scared.

I wish someone would come up with a really good excuse for cancelling us. We are looking for that real corker of an excuse that we can admire for its ingenuity.

I had one the other day just finished the conservatory and walked around wiping sills and a bit of bird poo just missed my head and splattered all down the window lucky for them it wasn't 5 mins later or the wouldn't even of dryed and had been hit all ready lol as they say **** happens

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I've had surprisingly quite a few "sorry we're divorced" and just assume that is that. When pressed they always say it's the other partners responsibility to pay. I mean yeah I'm sorry your marriage is going through a hard time but what's that got to do with paying your window cleaning bill? 

I've even had one use this excuse, giving me the sob story to say why they're cancelling and why they can't pay the 3x cleans owing and I've let them off. Only to find out from their neighbors later that they didn't get divorced, they weren't even married for a start! And the real reason they cancelled is so her 'partner' (who is a layabout who always complained about there being no work about and constantly stunk of weed) has started window cleaning with a set from home bargains deliberately poaching my customers telling them I and the wfp system leaves scratches and they're better off going with him!!

I was annoyed they were telling my customers that I would scratch their windows and considered reporting them as they are quite outspokenly benefits cheats but I'm not usually the resentful kind and thought that's their business and I should just put it down to experience.

Some just don't like the windows left wet. We had it often in the early days. Our neighbour at the back of us was a typical example. She had a trad window cleaner for years. He went wfp and was dumped for another tradder who also went wfp. The cycle happened about 4 times but she couldn't find a repalcement tradder the last time.

She asked me to make a special exception and trad her windows. I said no and she eventually asked me to clean them. We made sure the windows were left spotless and now 5 years later we are still cleaning them and have had several referrals from her.

We got cancelled for a streak we supposedly left on a window 2 cleans previously. We cleaned the family home for years until she left him and moved out. She asked us to clean her windows but he thought we were telling her what he was doing - hence he dumped us.

Over the years we have heard the same excuses.

We are having new windows fitted is one. We drive past one every month and years later the windows are still the same.

We are going on holiday and will give you a call when we get back. Still waiting for the call.

Can we cancel as its coming to winter so we don't want them cleaned. We will call you to resume cleaning them in spring. No they don't.

My husband has lost his job and we are having to cut back. See husband on the high street a few months later and ask if he has found a job yet. He didn't loose his job and knew nothing about us not cleaning the windows anymore. On parting;  "Please give our best wishes to your wife." I'm sure that made an interesting few minutes when he got home.

Then we have all had the 'I'm looking for a good reliable window cleaner and have been unable to find one. Please can you do our windows.' After the first clean the regular clean then miraculously turns into a one off. 'We will call you when we need you again.' We had one that caught my son with that and then asked me a few years later. She didn't know we were on the same team. We warned a few others and her windows were dirty for a long time after that.

But someone has since done them and I'm sure they got caught as well.?

We've just got a new dog and we don't want you to clean the windows because he gets scared.

I wish someone would come up with a really good excuse for cancelling us. We are looking for that real corker of an excuse that we can admire for its ingenuity.

I have had most of those excuses as well ?

Got a text from a custy saying there was bird shite on her window  after i had done them ??? Never missed any even done the bit on her door 
 But she sent me the text ten days later after they had been done  :??
What do they expect me to do after ten days ????
If you're passing you could pop by and clean the one window? Just be clear that in future they have 24 hours if they are out and 12 hours if they are in to call through. You won't be able to tell when it was hit because the sun will have baked it on by now

If you're passing you could pop by and clean the one window? Just be clear that in future they have 24 hours if they are out and 12 hours if they are in to call through. You won't be able to tell when it was hit because the sun will have baked it on by now

I would and have done the same. If its a genuine customer, then I wouldn't argue. You know that you cleaned all the windows so the bird strike must have happened after you left but before they came home.

But it has been the case on a couple of ocassions over the years that we did accidently miss cleaning a window, so I would always investigate. (I often wonder how many more windows we inadvertently missed and we were never told about.) If the rest of the window looks like we did clean it then so be it. I would clean it anyway and just tell the customer your findings. "We did clean that window as the window itself is clean, so that strike must have happened after I left. Never mind, I've removed it and we see you next time."

Now if its a complaining customer, then I would still attend to the strike but I would then quitely suggest that the customer find a trad cleaner as the wfp system we use doesn't suit your (the customer's) expectations. Then I would thank them for their past business and leave in a dignified manner.

If I bump into them in the street or see them when we are out and about I will always greet them and ask them how they are etc.

"The miss's has gone blind unfortunately, so as she wont be able to see out of them anyhow we,ll cancel"

Strange, she seemed to be reading the newspaper in the library well enough. Oh well.

Back