Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting up again

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scrimpouch

Hi guys

I use to be on the forum a lot but not so much recently.

I use to have my own commercial round that was good and earned me a decent living .

At the time I was living on my own in a rented flat

And didn’t really have any responsibilities

Since then I have met my girlfriend and we set up home together and I have a good job earning £35k

With pension but I’ve been struggling with stress and depression for the last year and really want to start up again but I’m worried being the only bread winner ,Will it work ??

My mate who’s been in the biz for years has told me it will be ok just claim every benefit going !

I’m unsure about this and haven’t got a clue were to start.

It was easier when I was on my own but now I have a Mrs and kids it’s different.

I still have my vivaro and hot water system and all my gear so that’s not a problem it’s just time scales and money

Any advice from fellow family men window cleaners

On Benefits and start up would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi guys

I use to be on the forum a lot but not so much recently.

I use to have my own commercial round that was good and earned me a decent living .

At the time I was living on my own in a rented flat

And didn’t really have any responsibilities

Since then I have met my girlfriend and we set up home together and I have a good job earning £35k

With pension but I’ve been struggling with stress and depression for the last year and really want to start up again but I’m worried being the only bread winner ,Will it work ??

My mate who’s been in the biz for years has told me it will be ok just claim every benefit going !

I’m unsure about this and haven’t got a clue were to start.

It was easier when I was on my own but now I have a Mrs and kids it’s different.

I still have my vivaro and hot water system and all my gear so that’s not a problem it’s just time scales and money

Any advice from fellow family men window cleaners

On Benefits and start up would be much appreciated

Cheers

Mark
Couldn't disagree more! Me and the wife don't claim anything. Tax credits etc penalise you massively if you go over the estimated amount you say you will earn. You need to have a PHD in economics to understand their system, they hit people with massive fines and take money back all the time. I will give you an example... In 2012 me and the wife had 2 children that live with us, the cut off for eligibility was 32k per year. We were due to earn 31500ish but because there was an extra pay period we went over. They were giving us around £150 per month and decided we owed every penny back... So we went over by literally a few quid and we needed to pay £1800 back!!! This was on top of a debt we incurred when a nursery went bust and had no record of us as customers. They accused us of making up receipts and charged all of our childcare costs back!

Next up there is housing benefit. I left my job in 2013 to train as a car sales manager, training wage was just £12k plus commission. This entitled us to full housing benefit of around £550 per month until i finished training. I left my £25k job in October and was paid for this in November (month behind as most jobs do) I claimed from the date I left work as this was the date I stopped earning my 25K wage... I left the job in December as I got offered something self employed to start in Jan, decided to have xmas off and use a bit of our savings. Basically 6 months later they charged back all of my housing benefit because I got a pay packet each month. Although you are no longer working at a place they decided that you can't start claiming until you receive your final wage.... Then when you start a new job you should stop claiming on day one of starting the job... Theres a massive black hole there in the middle where you aren't working or earning but are waiting for a wage and thus can't claim anything. No wonder so many people can't be ar5ed to find a job!

With the above I have assumed you are talking about claiming legitimate benefits and not claiming and working.

I have just left a job where I earned a similar amount to you. I have a wife and 4 kids to support. I worked tirelessly since the middle of last year to get myself to around 45-50 customers paying me on average £500 PCM. I literally worked 7 days a week, every week. Quoting in the evening etc. In the last 4 weeks since leaving I have doubled this. The benefit you have is that you already know the business and have the kit. A few hours practice on some friends houses and you are away. I had to learn it all from scratch. There will come a point where you need to jump ship and go for it, it is scary but just keep your eye on the prize... A full round can earn £4-6K a month. That is a family holiday twice a year, a new car each, a nice house and your kids university fees paid... Bottle out and you end up working for £35K a year again making money for someone else but at least you will never ask yourself what it!

Couldn't disagree more! Me and the wife don't claim anything. Tax credits etc penalise you massively if you go over the estimated amount you say you will earn. You need to have a PHD in economics to understand their system, they hit people with massive fines and take money back all the time. I will give you an example... In 2012 me and the wife had 2 children that live with us, the cut off for eligibility was 32k per year. We were due to earn 31500ish but because there was an extra pay period we went over. They were giving us around £150 per month and decided we owed every penny back... So we went over by literally a few quid and we needed to pay £1800 back!!! This was on top of a debt we incurred when a nursery went bust and had no record of us as customers. They accused us of making up receipts and charged all of our childcare costs back!

Next up there is housing benefit. I left my job in 2013 to train as a car sales manager, training wage was just £12k plus commission. This entitled us to full housing benefit of around £550 per month until i finished training. I left my £25k job in October and was paid for this in November (month behind as most jobs do) I claimed from the date I left work as this was the date I stopped earning my 25K wage... I left the job in December as I got offered something self employed to start in Jan, decided to have xmas off and use a bit of our savings. Basically 6 months later they charged back all of my housing benefit because I got a pay packet each month. Although you are no longer working at a place they decided that you can't start claiming until you receive your final wage.... Then when you start a new job you should stop claiming on day one of starting the job... Theres a massive black hole there in the middle where you aren't working or earning but are waiting for a wage and thus can't claim anything. No wonder so many people can't be ar5ed to find a job!

With the above I have assumed you are talking about claiming legitimate benefits and not claiming and working.

I have just left a job where I earned a similar amount to you. I have a wife and 4 kids to support. I worked tirelessly since the middle of last year to get myself to around 45-50 customers paying me on average £500 PCM. I literally worked 7 days a week, every week. Quoting in the evening etc. In the last 4 weeks since leaving I have doubled this. The benefit you have is that you already know the business and have the kit. A few hours practice on some friends houses and you are away. I had to learn it all from scratch. There will come a point where you need to jump ship and go for it, it is scary but just keep your eye on the prize... A full round can earn £4-6K a month. That is a family holiday twice a year, a new car each, a nice house and your kids university fees paid... Bottle out and you end up working for £35K a year again making money for someone else but at least you will never ask yourself what it!
4 - 6k a month. That is good going! 

Personally I will work 7 days a week for a few years if it makes me 6k a month, then get some employees onboard and take some time back.

Thing about human nature is  saying and doing are two different things.Working 7 days a week is a recipe for stress, burnout etc.

Some guys on here probably earn 6k a month, but bet was gradual on year rise.

A big reason for people to set up in this business is to have that work/life balance back. But good luck.

Personally I will work 7 days a week for a few years if it makes me 6k a month, then get some employees onboard and take some time back.

Thing about human nature is  saying and doing are two different things.Working 7 days a week is a recipe for stress, burnout etc.

Some guys on here probably earn 6k a month, but bet was gradual on year rise.

A big reason for people to set up in this business is to have that work/life balance back. But good luck.
Well I broke the golden rule when I wrote this.... Don't tell people what you're gonna do, show them what you've done! However I didn't start this for a work/life balance. I think people working PAYE have no need to moan. So my job used to make me work 50 hours a week. I got 2 days off most weeks, 5 weeks paid holiday every year. If I ever fell sick I would be paid after the first few days. Someone else paying into a pension with me (even if it is a pitiful amount). People who work this type of job and moan about a work/life balance have no idea what they're on about! Generally the people that do jump from job to job finding the same issue. My reason for doing this is to achieve my life goals. I never got myself a trade because I had a kid at 19, with hard work this gives me the opportunity to achieve my life goals, retire at 55, place in the sun somewhere etc etc....

Sounds easy on paper. The reality is working 7 days a week is not only impossible due to weather but totally non sustainable.

Take an employee on and earn the same in 4 days

I’ve done 7 days a week since that beast from the east. It’s stupid and probably unproductive long term. Muscles need to rest.

Get on entitledto.gov and see if you can claim tax credits.

good luck!!

Used to do it in my twenties, its a young thing. Eventually the brain matures and it begins to balance out. Money more important than time till you reach 45 and then it swings the other way. Time and leisure become more important after fifty because no one wants to be the richest man in the graveyard or the Gov takes all your money to pay for your care home. :1f609:

Used to do it in my twenties, its a young thing. Eventually the brain matures and it begins to balance out. Money more important than time till you reach 45 and then it swings the other way. Time and leisure become more important after fifty because no one wants to be the richest man in the graveyard or the Gov takes all your money to pay for your care home. :1f609:
It’s not just about health, but life in general.

This isn’t a rehearsal, this is it, one go at life, one innings.

Loads of hobbies and fun to be had at weekends, and spare time.

Just my opinion, but I personally think it’s a bit sad working 7 days a week. Enjoy life, you never know what’s round the corner 

It’s not just about health, but life in general.

This isn’t a rehearsal, this is it, one go at life, one innings.

Loads of hobbies and fun to be had at weekends, and spare time.

Just my opinion, but I personally think it’s a bit sad working 7 days a week. Enjoy life, you never know what’s round the corner 

Love reading your input on this Steve , always gives me the motif to say F*** it it’s only work and to go and enjoy myself doing something more fun lol. There’s been too many times I’ve stressed over this job when I just need to remember I’m the boss !

I think we as a society stress about life too much in general.

Whats it all about really, this pursuit of money ?

Im at my happiest when im doing the things i love, for me thats my family, doing my hobbies such as biking and fishing and going on holiday etc

You only need a limited amount of money to do those things so i often wonder why we work so hard and stress so much amount money, i think its a fruitless task anyway, ask anyone at any level of riches and they always want more more more, never satisfied.

Im starting to look at things differently lately, i took on a part timer a few months ago and whilst its going absoloutely fine having 2 vans to sort out on an evening an extra work to organise etc i find myself pondering whats the point, do i really want this on a large scale? 5 vans etc...hell no.... sun is shining outside i could have been out on my bike instead im sat here sending payment reminders, organising worksheets etc.

I mean i think we spend too much time generally wondering whats next than actually living in the moment. Half of the things you think you want once you get them you no longer want them, but thats the curse of the human race.

That was quite philosophical lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ok ok I take the points people are making but realistically this is not an ''on paper'' exercise for me, I have been working 7 days a week for the last 3 years. The last time I took a holiday was when I got married. I had a failed business idea 3 years ago and moved on to window cleaning. I know the one life live it theory but I also know that there will be time for that when I have established the business and have a steady income. I don't much care if its 'sad' to some other people and I am in no way saying that anyone needs to work 7 days a week long term, I am happy to do it in the short term. I'm not in my 20's anymore, I spent my 20's jumping from sales job to sales job because the targets were constantly increased at every company until they were unrealistic.

I see this as a good opportunity to better my life and the advice I was giving to Scrimpouch was based around his situation and his worries about money. If you leave a well paid job (as I have just done) to do this full time and have a family to support (as I do) I genuinely believe you need to be willing to work 7 days a week for a short time... how long is determined by how much you want the business to give you.

I can't wait to be in a position to take it down to 6 days and then 5. Once my monthly income from this reaches my old wage I can happily drop to 6, once it reaches where I want it to then 5, get an employee etc etc.

I think we as a society stress about life too much in general.

Whats it all about really, this pursuit of money ?

Im at my happiest when im doing the things i love, for me thats my family, doing my hobbies such as biking and fishing and going on holiday etc

You only need a limited amount of money to do those things so i often wonder why we work so hard and stress so much amount money, i think its a fruitless task anyway, ask anyone at any level of riches and they always want more more more, never satisfied.

Im starting to look at things differently lately, i took on a part timer a few months ago and whilst its going absoloutely fine having 2 vans to sort out on an evening an extra work to organise etc i find myself pondering whats the point, do i really want this on a large scale? 5 vans etc...hell no.... sun is shining outside i could have been out on my bike instead im sat here sending payment reminders, organising worksheets etc.

I mean i think we spend too much time generally wondering whats next than actually living in the moment. Half of the things you think you want once you get them you no longer want them, but thats the curse of the human race.

That was quite philosophical lol

Couldnt agree more mate. But it’s a vicious circle. I couldn’t imagine living on my poor wage starting out at this now. If I don’t earn what I earnt the previous week I’m ****** at myself. The more I make the more I want as you say and in turn stresses me lol . I wouldn’t say I’m any happier earning more. If anything it’s been less family time etc. But I never seen myself 10 years ago being in the position I am now with what I have. That’s why my attitude is work hard and take your bank holidays off for family time or a day off if the weather is going to be a scorcher and do your hobbies and forget about work as said you only get one crack of the whip 

Couldnt agree more mate. But it’s a vicious circle. I couldn’t imagine living on my poor wage starting out at this now. If I don’t earn what I earnt the previous week I’m ****** at myself. The more I make the more I want as you say and in turn stresses me lol . I wouldn’t say I’m any happier earning more. If anything it’s been less family time etc. But I never seen myself 10 years ago being in the position I am now with what I have. That’s why my attitude is work hard and take your bank holidays off for family time or a day off if the weather is going to be a scorcher and do your hobbies and forget about work as said you only get one crack of the whip 

i totally get that, i have a minimum target each week and if i dont hit it im panicking. Im going away next week for two weeks and im panicking about that as well. wages to pay, hope the weather holds out etc. its one big stress lol, thats what im saying why put yourself through it just for money. Part of the issue is we earn more so our standard of living goes up with it, so in turn we need more and more to keep up. earn more buy a bigger house and a bigger car, thats why you cant escape it if you get used to eating steak you are not going to want to go back to eating wafer thin ham. So its just an endless pursuit to the grave. 

I lived on minimum wage £1000 -1200 per month  for over 10 years before this job. As i can recall i had a roof over my head a car and went on holidays, i never would have called myself skint, you just learn to live on what you have.... but like you i could not live on that now, whats changed? my standard of living.

Last edited by a moderator:
i totally get that, i have a minimum target each week and if i dont hit it im panicking. Im going away next week for two weeks and im panicking about that as well. wages to pay, hope the weather holds out etc. its one big stress lol, thats what im saying why put yourself through it just for money. Part of the issue is we earn more so our standard of living goes up with it, so in turn we need more and more to keep up. earn more buy a bigger house and a bigger car, thats why you cant escape it if you get used to eating steak you are not going to want to go back to eating wafer thin ham. So its just an endless pursuit to the grave. 

Lol it’s funny reading that because it’s just so bloody true ?

I had two big rounds up until a year or so ago. My mate Danny did my other round for six years and I earned nicely from it.

However, the grief of running that round (customers, texting, collecting etc) got on my nerves.

I sold that round to Danny in the end and he’s still doing it to this day.

Yes, I don’t have that bit of income, but I have something much more valuable, a life.

I had two big rounds up until a year or so ago. My mate Danny did my other round for six years and I earned nicely from it.

However, the grief of running that round (customers, texting, collecting etc) got on my nerves.

I sold that round to Danny in the end and he’s still doing it to this day.

Yes, I don’t have that bit of income, but I have something much more valuable, a life.

I have a lad out on his own in a van and me in the other but im considering just having him out with me in the one van, i know we will earn less but it will be so much easier not having the extra van and seperate worksheets to sort out. Also he rings me a few times a day, i couldnt do this house gates locked or pumps stopped working in van what do i do etc ect...

Everyone's target is different, some want to have a big business, some want to stay as a sole trader. @P4dstaris new at this game and can see there are some, potentially, very big rewards to be achieved. After a few years of knocking himself out, like most on here have done, he might still be a sole trader earning enough to be able to sit back and decide, do I want to go hell for leather for another 2 or 3 years or do I want to consolidate and have a nice lifestyle with not a lot of stress.

Most on here at some stage have thought like him, some have built nice businesses, some have found it all too much and some have accepted that big houses and flash cars would be nice but not worth the extra hassle. All I would say is the bigger it gets the greater the stress gets and I hope all that try find a goal they are happy at.

Back