Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GoCardless Tip & Tricks

Most successful sign up method?

• Text with link

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Email link

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Website payment page

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Windows cleaned slips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On the doorstep in person

• Letter explaining new method

• Total voters

Brandon

Poll doesn't show on Tapatalk app. Click here to go to website: 

As GoCardless has proven to solve the issues with chasing debts, flaky customers and better cash flow within the window cleaning industry, more and more people are signing up to use it.

We all know that it can be difficult to get customers to sign up to direct debit as it's fairly new to small businesses and people don't like new.

I thought this thread could be used for sharing your tips, tricks and methods on getting customers to sign up.

These guides have some useful points:

https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/guide-for-window-cleaners/

https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/encourage-customers-to-pay-by-dd/

Personally, I find it easier to sign up new customers as I offer it as the only payment option. Existing customers are the main battle for me.

For a while, I have texted customers after cleaning their windows stating that I've cleaned their windows today, their current balance and to pay their bill by following the GoCardless link.

I probably got about 2 sign-ups doing this.

I then started adding a brief explanation on how it works etc. This had a better result but still, people would ignore the text and pay via BACS anyway, even though stating that direct debit is twice as secure as BACS.

Since the end of April, I have been doing the same but offering a 10% discount on the next clean if they sign up. Again this has had slightly better results but definitely doesn't solve the problem.

I currently have 29% of my round on GoCardless so I'm slowly approaching a third of my customers paying by direct debit. 

What works for you?

What doesn't?

Which methods have given you the best sign up rate?

How often do you remind customers?

What incentives do you offer?

How and when do you get new customers to sign up?

What do you do if a customer refuses?

What do you do for customers with no internet access (elderly people)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I closed my my old bank account and dropped letters telling them that the accepted method was GC worked wonders for existing clients.

County Durham Lad

I closed my my old bank account and dropped letters telling them that the accepted method was GC worked wonders for existing clients.

County Durham Lad

That's an interesting method. Did you make it optional or words to the effect of "this is now the accepted method of payment, take it or leave it"? Could you upload the letter for use as a template?

I've made flyers I give to new customers on the first clean and tell them that is my payment method. It explains it enough to get them comfortable enough with the idea. And they generally sign up pretty quickly. Existing customers are the issue though!

15258030208752582878900089794218.jpg

That's an interesting method. Did you make it optional or words to the effect of "this is now the accepted method of payment, take it or leave it"? Could you upload the letter for use as a template?
I did it around 2 years ago so no template but very easy to put a letter together and their option wash GoCardless or nothing for the majority of previous bacs payers except the good ones who would pay me within 2-3 days without fail.

County Durham Lad

Guys, I’ve set up my GC account so I’m up and running ...don’t quite understand plans , do I have to set up a fixed amount and payment interval , as it’s asking me this.
I don’t use any other software

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Guys, I’ve set up my GC account so I’m up and running ...don’t quite understand plans , do I have to set up a fixed amount and payment interval , as it’s asking me this.
I don’t use any other software

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

No mate all you need to do is get customers to sign up.
You can do this by going to the Customers page.

Click ‘Add Customers’ at the top right of the screen.

Send your customers the link to sign up.

Once they’ve signed up and you’ve cleaned their windows and want to take a payment, click the customer that you want to take the payment from.

When you’re on that customers page, there will be a green button at the top right of the screen that says ‘Create’ with a drop down menu when you click it.

Click ‘Payment’ then set the amount you want to take and the description, then click ‘Create Payment’ and you’re done.

Hope that helps [emoji1360]
I did it around 2 years ago so no template but very easy to put a letter together and their option wash GoCardless or nothing for the majority of previous bacs payers except the good ones who would pay me within 2-3 days without fail.

County Durham Lad

Okay mate no worries. Would be handy to see what your wording was as I tried something like that and it sounded a bit too pushy/direct. [emoji23]

Will you try and get those good ones on GC eventually or continue with BACS?

I've made flyers I give to new customers on the first clean and tell them that is my payment method. It explains it enough to get them comfortable enough with the idea. And they generally sign up pretty quickly. Existing customers are the issue though!
View attachment 13714

Completely agree with you, new customers are easy as you just say I take payment via direct debit, go to my website to sign up here and that’s that. No other options so no need to push for direct debit.

It’s the existing customers who have paid by BACS or cash for years who are tricky to convert. What’s so annoying is how much easier it is for the customer.
People hate change!

This is a good topic.  

I had a long six month fight to drag em screaming and kicking on to GoCardless but I am now 99% GC (the remainders are commercial and very large very profitable jobs that pay on the day on the card) 

Now if I am on the door I will sign them on GC on my phone right there and then.  If they are calling back after I have given a quotation then I will take their details on the phone and sign them on GC right there and then.  

As of now it is a new policy -- No GoCardless in place, no clean.  Simple as that.  

Yeah, I hear you all screaming -- 'my customers won't sign up for it'  and that's simply cause you're still giving them the choice..  Sure I lost a few when I went hardcore GC but nowhere near enough to be bothered about the loss compared to the gains of time and efficiency by having all the other customers on it.  

This will be my next step to get the vast majority on GC. it makes no sense to build a big round then have to fight to get paid every month.

This is a good topic.  

I had a long six month fight to drag em screaming and kicking on to GoCardless but I am now 99% GC (the remainders are commercial and very large very profitable jobs that pay on the day on the card) 

Now if I am on the door I will sign them on GC on my phone right there and then.  If they are calling back after I have given a quotation then I will take their details on the phone and sign them on GC right there and then.  

As of now it is a new policy -- No GoCardless in place, no clean.  Simple as that.  

Yeah, I hear you all screaming -- 'my customers won't sign up for it'  and that's simply cause you're still giving them the choice..  Sure I lost a few when I went hardcore GC but nowhere near enough to be bothered about the loss compared to the gains of time and efficiency by having all the other customers on it.  

I wondered when you'd drop in...

Six months seems long to you, that would be a relatively short battle for me! Saying that you are more ruthless than most and that's probably the reason you've had great success with GC sign up rates.

If I may (and for the benefit of the forum of course ?) pick your brains on some things ....

For existing clients...

How many would you say you lost by making it not optional anymore?

What did you find the best method/wording for getting them signed up?

For new clients...

What do you do/say if customers don't give details over the phone?

What do you do/say if customers don't have email (or internet)?

What do you do/say if customers don't want to sign up on the door for security reasons etc?

Appreciate it's a lot of questions but you're the best guy to ask! TIA ?

This will be my next step to get the vast majority on GC. it makes no sense to build a big round then have to fight to get paid every month.
Surely it would be easier to sign them up while building the round as opposed to building a big round and then have to change EVERYONE over?

I find it so much easier getting new custys on than existing as I don't offer the option of BACS or cash anymore. I send them to my website's payment page and the only option on there is GoCardless.

For existing clients...

How many would you say you lost by making it not optional anymore?

What did you find the best method/wording for getting them signed up?

For new clients...

What do you do/say if customers don't give details over the phone?

What do you do/say if customers don't have email (or internet)?

What do you do/say if customers don't want to sign up on the door for security reasons etc?

1: Not enough to lose any sleep at all (I would have to do too much homework to give accurate numbers) 

2: We now ONLY accept GoCardless -- simple as that -- I do not need explain my business decisions to clients, if they want my service they need to meet my terms.  

1:  Direct them to my website with and point out that if they have not signed by the tie the clean is due they wont be cleaned

2: They need email to be on GoCardless -- we dont do the 'monthly plan' thing, we use the authorize after each clean thing and this needs their email.

3: Again, refer to website with explanation that if not signed by due date wont be cleaned.  

However I do not meet these objections as I explain myself clearly and professionally to the customer.  And also remember there is a difference in customer perception when a guy in uniform, with ID badge, business card in hand, sign written van and ltd company turns up as opposed to someone in a Vauxhall Astra with ladder on the roof in Addidas tshirt and a pair of jeans asking for bank details. 

I’ve had a few customers ask about the direct debit side of things but I just explain that it’s not a standing order, if a cleans not done then no money is taken until it is. The stragglers who don’t sign up after the invoice has been sent annoy me but don’t worry me because like Green said if you get to the third clean and they still haven’t paid then don’t do it! I had one lady refuse so I asked her to transfer the balance via the bank and that would conclude our business, she signed up after that. 

I have said to customers that it’s for both parties security, but again like Green said, uniform/ID/sign written van/Businescards! 

Letter headed invoices, professional slips through the door...anything that supports the professional image. 

Most customers prefer GC anyway so don’t worry about it. 

Okay mate no worries. Would be handy to see what your wording was as I tried something like that and it sounded a bit too pushy/direct.
emoji23.png

Will you try and get those good ones on GC eventually or continue with BACS?
No point in pushing clients onto GC who pay me faster than a GC payout 

No point in pushing clients onto GC who pay me faster than a GC payout 

Go cardless is a great tool and an Assett to mine and your business.
But I don’t understand a lot of windys latest decisions to push everyone and be 100% GC. ?
I understand your frustrations in getting paid on time.
My analogy is:-
1. Customers come out and stuff cash in my hand before I have started. Happy days.
2. Customers who pay by bacs and money is my account in 2-3 days or even on same day before I have even uploaded my worksheets
3. Customers are on GC and payment around 5 days.

So I would never sack off a good paying customer where I can get paid faster than GoCardless.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Go cardless is a great tool and an Assett to mine and your business.
But I don’t understand a lot of windys latest decisions to push everyone and be 100% GC. ?
I understand your frustrations in getting paid on time.
My analogy is:-
1. Customers come out and stuff cash in my hand before I have started. Happy days.
2. Customers who pay by bacs and money is my account in 2-3 days or even on same day before I have even uploaded my worksheets
3. Customers are on GC and payment around 5 days.

So I would never sack off a good paying customer where I can get paid faster than GoCardless.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
I agree with the above, But the vast majority of my new jobs come through fb or my website so are lets say young professionals and a bit older so its hardline GC sign up otherwise no clean. If a retired person(s) in their 70's approach me from a neighbouring house in a street i already clean then i usually don't request that they need to sign up to GC. 

So in terms of new clients its near enough 99% GC or no clean at all 

11 hours ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

A short video, Its 16.29 minutes long I'll watch it later 

[mention=1930]Green Pro Clean Ltd[/mention]

I like the fact you use ID badges as that small touch instills more trust in the client as it gives a professional image and they know who you are.

I think having these would help with quoting jobs and getting them signed up on the door so I’m going to get a couple printed up, one for me and one for my worker.

What would you say is important to have printed on yours apart from photo ID, name and company name and logo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back