Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Relying on Diary over Tech

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mike007

At moment still use a big diary to keep my customer schedule in. End of day tick of the jobs done and book them in four weeks on, easy peasy. Also have all info on a excel so not a complete caveman.

BIG PROBLEM Wednesday, Computer wouldn,t open Windows!!!! took to computer nerds, got it back next day with new hard drive and had to try to get it back and running.Had some stuff backed up thankfully, but discovered how much I rely, maybe too much on that computer tower of tech.

We must I suggest be mindful of how easy something can go wrong with technology we rely on to aid us and make things better.

If I didn,t use my diary and relied solely with excel spreadshheets would of still muddled through till found a fix to the problem, but sometimes low tech is good enough tech, if your a one man band, methinks.

So much nowadays is backed up in the cloud it's really easy to keep. I use my iPhone, iPad and Mac which all sync together nicely. Even if all 3 went at the same time I can still access my diary online but it's a worthy point for some who may just be using excel etc on a desktop. I would suggest sign up for Dropbox and back things up to there, it's free and all cloud based so you can access it on any PC.

May I recommend Google sheets as an excellent spreadsheet app. It automatically backs up online, and are reachable from wherever you are online.

A friend of mine lost his entire work schedule (for a while) because he somehow had it saved locally on an iPad with no cloud sync where the screen broke. Had to get an replacement iPad to get it working again, and pay through the nose so the techs could to a data transfer from the old to the new.

Coming from a IT background I'm sorry but I can't fathom why anyone would rely on local copies of important documents.

Offline documents are soooo 2003.

Would like to use Google Spreadsheet but I wonder who owns the data once its inserted in the spreadsheet same with using their calendar?

Would like to use Google Spreadsheet but I wonder who owns the data once its inserted in the spreadsheet same with using their calendar?
I’m fond of a good conspiracy theory but much to worry about. I mean, define “owns”. You have an encrypted system that only you have the password for, so what if a multi billion dollar company actually owns the data, they don’t need it and won’t use it for anything that should trouble you.

https://privacy.google.com/take-control.html

You own the data of course, and merely grant Google access to it so they can save it and move it around on their servers as needed. Google reads your data so they can give you targeted advertisements. You can opt out of that if you want.

Just make sure it's backed up.

I save mine tibhard drive, external USB and cloud every evening.

I've had a couple of laptop failures and glad I had backups

Back