Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using biocides over hypo

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Applepicker

Apparently the biocides kill the roots of the moulds, fungae etc on patios and hypo just the stain and top part so it comes back.  Planning on buying some from softwash solutions.  Just did their day course.  Will mix it myself in a sprayer though before, can't afford a mixing machines yet.   Anyone used their biocides? 

If I can reduce my use of hypo and all the risks associated with using it, it's gotta be a good thing 

Biocide max is £35 for 5litres but it has a 1 in 30 ratio. I use it as a weed killer. Its good for killing moss quickly a week before you powerwash and hypo a patio or driveway. That's what I plan to do unless the powerwash and hypo gets rid of it then I will put it down before I re-sand. 

Apparently the biocides kill the roots of the moulds, fungae etc on patios and hypo just the stain and top part so it comes back.  Planning on buying some from softwash solutions.  Just did their day course.  Will mix it myself in a sprayer though before, can't afford a mixing machines yet.   Anyone used their biocides? 

If I can reduce my use of hypo and all the risks associated with using it, it's gotta be a good thing 
micks scared you a bit hasn't he?,i'm far more wary of the biocides like softwash solutions/algoclear and benzs than I am of hypo,

For example the patio in photo.  It butt's right up to grass so worry either biocides or hypo would kill the grass.  He sells a safe wash and also a mixing machine which keeps the biocide below 2.75% at all times.  I don't have the money for one quite yet so was going to mix it in a hand pump.   

Health and safety, they talked about how dangerous hypo is really, picture of a burnt face from someone who left their barrel of hypo in the sun and it shot into his face when he opened it. Other stories of people being careless with hypo and spraying it where they shouldn't have etc kids in a primary school going home with white spots on their clothes

15265564933261593839972.jpg

For example the patio in photo.  It butt's right up to grass so worry either biocides or hypo would kill the grass.  He sells a safe wash and also a mixing machine which keeps the biocide below 2.75% at all times.  I don't have the money for one quite yet so was going to mix it in a hand pump.   

Health and safety, they talked about how dangerous hypo is really, picture of a burnt face from someone who left their barrel of hypo in the sun and it shot into his face when he opened it. Other stories of people being careless with hypo and spraying it where they shouldn't have etc kids in a primary school going home with white spots on their clothes

View attachment 13774

Hypo isnt dangerous , it’s the people who use it inappropriately who are dangerous not using ppe if the person concerned was using goggles and face shield he wouldn’t have got it on his face , common sense tels you you don’t leave a barrel of it in the sun , you shouldn’t leave any containers with chemicals in in that environment, some of these company’s try and scare people with horror stories to persuade you to buy there safer products don’t be fooled by marketing strategy, hypo is a very useful tool to have , so is a bio product horse for courses no one product is suitable for all scenarios 

I echo pjj's comments,hypo can be dangerous but if you do the research wear the best ppe you can afford,think whilst you are working think about what you are doing and controlling the results then its controllable and safe,its those people who just spray it all over with abandon that are dangerous (and to be fair I was once one of them).

I take safety seriously now both mine and the people/objects/pets around me and take precautions whilst working,i'm not the anal barrier tape etc type but just plain common sense one.

biocide like the softwash solutions one won't affect the grass-he should have mentioned all this

hypo will but with controlled spraying theres no need to pre wet the grass or use socks etc just put the hypo exactly where it needs to be.

as for the biocide,i've done the courses and come away thinking this is the future,bye bye hypo.

that didn't last long,

biocides such as softwash solutions have their place just as hypo has,its just knowing when and where and at what point during the work to use them

as for health and safety,i asked this just out of curiousity btw,i asked mick when I was on one of his courses considering biocide has the possibility to penetrate the skin either through the eyes or skin how it affects the body,he stuttered a bit and there was a long pause then the reply was cover your skin up and protect your face etc-back to the old ppe,strange that.

this stuff has injured or killed many a pet over the last few years by people having a bash at this and I've heard of vets bills over £300 to treat tommy the cat who has licked his paws after a bit of biocide has been sprayed not to mention the severe damage to your eyes if you don't use ppe-skin rashes is a common one too and just try spraying in an enclosed area and try to cough.

don't get me wrong I know training courses are the correct way to learn and you take away knowledge you didn't know before and this is good but that training course was only a chapter of your knowledge so far,experience and learning will add more chapters and in time you'll have a book of knowledge.

ps don't bother with the dosatron unless you are cleaning large jobs,the safe wash doesn't work whatsoever and benz makes a nicer biocide imo

I echo pjj's comments,hypo can be dangerous but if you do the research wear the best ppe you can afford,think whilst you are working think about what you are doing and controlling the results then its controllable and safe,its those people who just spray it all over with abandon that are dangerous (and to be fair I was once one of them).

I take safety seriously now both mine and the people/objects/pets around me and take precautions whilst working,i'm not the anal barrier tape etc type but just plain common sense one.

biocide like the softwash solutions one won't affect the grass-he should have mentioned all this

hypo will but with controlled spraying theres no need to pre wet the grass or use socks etc just put the hypo exactly where it needs to be.

as for the biocide,i've done the courses and come away thinking this is the future,bye bye hypo.

that didn't last long,

biocides such as softwash solutions have their place just as hypo has,its just knowing when and where and at what point during the work to use them

as for health and safety,i asked this just out of curiousity btw,i asked mick when I was on one of his courses considering biocide has the possibility to penetrate the skin either through the eyes or skin how it affects the body,he stuttered a bit and there was a long pause then the reply was cover your skin up and protect your face etc-back to the old ppe,strange that.

this stuff has injured or killed many a pet over the last few years by people having a bash at this and I've heard of vets bills over £300 to treat tommy the cat who has licked his paws after a bit of biocide has been sprayed not to mention the severe damage to your eyes if you don't use ppe-skin rashes is a common one too and just try spraying in an enclosed area and try to cough.

don't get me wrong I know training courses are the correct way to learn and you take away knowledge you didn't know before and this is good but that training course was only a chapter of your knowledge so far,experience and learning will add more chapters and in time you'll have a book of knowledge.

ps don't bother with the dosatron unless you are cleaning large jobs,the safe wash doesn't work whatsoever and benz makes a nicer biocide imo
So better to use hypo or biocide on that patio? There are not any cats living there

if there is black spot i would use hypo every time i think using both is the best way treat with hypo to get it clean then bio it to finish it off , as for scare mungruling ive hurd this from a friend who did a biocide corse in luton he said they chap was very anty hypo then all of a suden out pops a drum of hypo  :1f602:   

Back