Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How many chances do i have to give my employee

A Pane In The Glass

At my wits end with my employee

Been with my 6 or 7 months n still can't clean a complete window properly (mostly framework).

It should be to the point where I shouldn't be checking his windows.

I clean the 1st floor whilst he cleans the ground floor.

A few weeks ago I gave him one week to shape up which seemed to work but now it's going back to him just being totally inept

So My question to you guys is what do i do next as I'm thinking monitor silently and if I'm really not happy just fire him or should I invest more time in him.. I just don't think he has that attention to detail trait that s needed

Shame really cos he is a good kid

Advice please as I'm coming home unhappy thinking I've got all these customers now and far too busy to cope on my own but on the other hand I don't have time and shouldn't be checking or spot checking his work

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sack him if you aren’t happy. Your business your choice. Sounds like he’s had a fair chance to learn.

Thay just shows he doesn't have any pride in his work or respect for you

He should be at the point he is checking his own work to make sure he hasn't missed anything 

If he doesn't give a toss now he never will 

Here's a good one ... I questioned him after checking a window and he said I've gotta go back and check it.. I said I've told u before make sure that window is totally clean before u move to next window... bloody hell if I did that I would be forever going back n toward n up n down ladders more than I needed too

Some people just don't have the right mindset for thorough cleaning. I've worked with some that have been doing it for years and make elementary mistakes like getting water in vents and missing sills. Some people seem to get away with it and grow their business anyway but I think people are either thorough or not and they don't change easily. 7 months is more than enough time to see which he is.

Some people just don't have the right mindset for thorough cleaning. I've worked with some that have been doing it for years and make elementary mistakes like getting water in vents and missing sills. Some people seem to get away with it and grow their business anyway but I think people are either thorough or not and they don't change easily. 7 months is more than enough time to see which he is.
Yep.. I have grown my business from nothing to having 400 customers in a year n a half I didn't have a clue and I told him that I had to learn pretty quick or I wouldn't have a business

Sorry, no one to blame but you here mate, you're the boss. 

He wouldn't have lasted a month here let alone 6.  

'He's a really good kid'  -- No he's not, he's a P.I. Staker!  

Your trying to keep on someone that you feel is 'a good kid' and be that guy when you need to start being a boss and replace him right away. 

Sorry, no one to blame but you here mate, you're the boss. 

He wouldn't have lasted a month here let alone 6.  

'He's a really good kid'  -- No he's not, he's a P.I. Staker!  

Your trying to keep on someone that you feel is 'a good kid' and be that guy when you need to start being a boss and replace him right away. 
Yea I know mate .. I do hear you. That's why I like this forum good honest opinions ... I hate the fact I'm gonna give up on him.. I have such a good nature .. but at the end of the day it is my business that I've worked hard to grow

My wife works with me n it pains me sometimes at some aspects of her style, but she is still good. But even though doesnt do the job i think she should, we dont get complaints,so far, i cant get rid of her.

So maybe you should consider that side of things, you have invested a fair bit of time in him. Is their any guarantee in someone else wanting to make you a pile of cash. If he is a nice kid, he might grow some maturity n mind you pay for what u get in some circumstances. Just a thought mind, do what you think is best for you.

My wife works with me n it pains me sometimes at some aspects of her style, but she is still good. But even though doesnt do the job i think she should, we dont get complaints,so far, i cant get rid of her.
So maybe you should consider that side of things, you have invested a fair bit of time in him. Is their any guarantee in someone else wanting to make you a pile of cash. If he is a nice kid, he might grow some maturity n mind you pay for what u get in some circumstances. Just a thought mind, do what you think is best for you.
O he gets paid well for his age trust me ... I'm giving him one week I'm silently monitoring him i think

I'd tell him he got 1 chance. Mess up and he gone, that way he knows the score, and you've given him fair warning, he has his chance so your not the bad guy and if you sack him it's his fault, and you still get to be the nice guy. Also means he can't claim unfair dismissal and try and take you to court, as you gave him a warning. Give it to him in writing, keep a copy and get him to sign it, the fear may force him to change, or he'll quit, or you end up sacking him.

Are you actually getting complaints from customers as a result of his poor work? Could you provide him with some incentive - eg: £x bonus each month if he gets no complaints.

If you are employing someone he/she will never ever do as good a job as you for the simple reason that they are an employee & you actually own the business. This is probably the case in every business...

Give him a final warning followed by a days retraining of how you expect him to clean. Then a further week on the job to buck up his performance and then let him go or start recruiting if its not working out still.. 

He has had warnings. I appreciate that he will never work has hard and treat it like me as it's my business .. but some of the stuff I see a customer could see ... I did have a complaint about a door frame 2 days ago which I returned to sort today ... luckily no other complaints but as I'm spot checking windows it's not likely I will.

I have food for thought on this

I'm retraining tomorrow anyway as all the new moerman equipment came thru and we have nice new liquidators to try out

I think you've will have covered all bases. He's only got one person to blame. Just diarise all steps you have taken with him for your records.

Apparently young folk don't work as hard as we used too. They seem to be on their phones all the time. Different work culture now, they don't believe in hard work. Aye, how things have changed when I was a lad. 

Don't tar us all with the same brush! I work extremely hard and I'm young. Plenty of lazy old gits out there also

I second that. A full time job (40hrs as a security officer), one full day a week on the windows and I also foster a child. Hard worker and only 26 years old...

I think some people these days just don’t know the value of hard work. I work hard, but I play hard too. I wouldn’t be able to play at all if I didn’t work as hard as I did! And I’d just be bored...

I second that. A full time job (40hrs as a security officer), one full day a week on the windows and I also foster a child. Hard worker and only 26 years old...

I think some people these days just don’t know the value of hard work. I work hard, but I play hard too. I wouldn’t be able to play at all if I didn’t work as hard as I did! And I’d just be bored...

Yep, I'm 26 too. I probably work 40 hours cleaning windows...more if you include the admin.... then I spend virtually all my free time renovating my house.

Back