Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

how to get them first customers

Josh Foster

hi looking to hopefully start window cleaning for myself as a sole trader.i know this questions gets asked a lot. i have the equipment squeegees, applicators cloths all the stuff i need i just dont know how to start like getting the customers do i make and order leaflets, do i go out and knock on peoples doors. if so any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. i know i want get a round overnight or even in a couple weeks or months i just need that little bit of guidance. I only clean my parents windows but being doing it for a couple of years now and think i can do a decent job. if i was to do this i would offer a full service which would include cleaning the glass the frames the window sills. even trying to get the upvc back to white if they were bad. anyway i am rambling a bit now if someone could just give me that bit of advice that would be great. thanks for reading. any help much appreciated thanks in advance

I would canvass a new housing estate rather than old haunts. You could try and ask around it anyone is retiring or selling a round. You could always ask your parents neighbours because you are working there anyway. Good luck.

Get leaflets or flyers printed then go knocking doors. Look for streets with upstairs windows looking bit dirty. Someone in give them your spiel, and leaflet,no one in leave your leaflet

Not rocket science.........but you will get more no,s then yesses....how the game works, remember in football, the best strikers are the ones who shoot at goal most, not every one goes in the back of the net, but more tries more goals!!!!, like door knocking/canvassing.

Oh...and when you do a job for a customer...do a decent job.....then you get recomendations........and also neighbours watching see you doing decent job, are more inclined to use you...especially after seeing you turn up two or threetimes on the street.

As a lot of others have said (although I'm a bit late to the game!) Get some business cards/flyers made up, get a uniform, or at least a smart looking t-shirt/work trousers combo and go out knocking at new estates freshly built. Do mention the fact you will include frames and sills in the price. DONT say your new as it may put people off, just say you're local and looking at increasing your portfolio/expanding your customer base in the area.
My brother-in-law has done this, charging I think roughly £12-15 a house. In 10 days of canvassing he has over 60 customers! As hard as it might be to knock on doors, it does seem to work.

I got a solar panel clean today for 14 panels (£40) because the guy was delivering my customer's medication. He seen the writing on the van and asked me about it. So the writing cost £40 and it got my money back, it was a bit like "Tails of the Unexpected" today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing a leaflet drop worked well for me, especially this time of year when your out and about putting them in letterboxes speak to everyone!! You never know. I got a new customer as she was walking past with her dog. Saw me get out the van. 20 mins later i went round gave her a quote turned into a £30 job every month and her neighbours called today wanting quotes too. Facebook i find is good. Its free easy and easy to use. Offer to do friends and families windows cheaper in exchange for reviews and likes and shares.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I bought 500 cards from vistaprint, some equipment, and hit up every business in town. People see you cleaning windows and will ask when you will clean theirs. Then you hand them your card. Instant customer. I’ve cleaned local businesses for pennies just to get the residential stuff.
Pennies here in Utah USA...tuppence for you brits![emoji51]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back