Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weed free sand for block paving

WCF

Help Support WCF:

padman

Just wanted to ask if any one has used this in the past and is it any good.

I use normal Kiln dried but was thinking this may be better long term with the weeds after cleaning. 

!cid_39000281-d73b-44fc-9201-e9e82fe3bc88.jpg

It says that it sets hard. Seems to me that it has cement in it and acts like mortar. You could try a test patch and see how it goes. I on the other hand will be trying biocide and then re-sanding to see if it makes a difference.

Ive just come back from a job where a homeowner had used dansand setting sand and then been a little liberal with the water to set it........needless to say the block paving is just about ruined as it has sand set all over it and is practically impossible to remove, I hit it with full power with the FSC and turbo nozzle on my 21lpm 3500psi machine and its made little to no difference aside from make the sand more visible without the surrounding dirt. I would tread very carefully before using this kind of material as its one thing cleaning up after a customer has made a mistake, quite another if youve messed it up yourself with this stuff and have to try to put it right, far better to use kiln dried and a reliable cheaper end sealer than use this and bring on an insurance claim, that said if your experienced with it and confident then i dont see why not, but if using it for the first time then do it somewhere as a practice first then offer it as a service. personally after seeing what I saw today I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Oh and its polymeric with a bit of cement in it, this means that the top will be hard but the lower levels of it will be spongy and flex witht he joints to prevent cracking, it has its uses but over a wide area your going to get cement stains and your going to get sand setting where you dont want it unless your super meticulous and use a leaf blower to ensure theres literally nothing on the surface whatseover before you wet it, this is supposing you've got your sprayer on a very fine mist to begin with and dont hit it with a heavy spray that forces even the smallest amount out onto the surrounding paving.

TLDR: Dont use it, for the love of god dont use it!

That's the reason the professionals don't use it. When you only use sand, then you can easily remove the sand and blocks and fix the area and re-sand. You would need to use brick acid to remove the cement stain. Kiss, means keep it simple Sam, if you follow kiss logic then you wont go far wrong in life. Only the bean counters make it complicated so they can get more money out of the public. :1f609:

That's the reason the professionals don't use it. When you only use sand, then you can easily remove the sand and blocks and fix the area and re-sand. You would need to use brick acid to remove the cement stain. Kiss, means keep it simple Sam, if you follow kiss logic then you wont go far wrong in life. Only the bean counters make it complicated so they can get more money out of the public. :1f609:

Exactly. the best approach is generally to advise them of options and then follow through with what you KNOW works, never dabble to see if somethings going to be better unless youve proof that its foolproof and will work faultlessly. I do cleaning, sanding and sealing. I do offer the weed free dansand labelled "no weed" which is £11 from wickes as a supplement to people who dont want sealing but that dosent set and cant go wrong, using products with anything permenant IE cement in it is a path to problems and bad recommendations down the line. just clean it, sand it and if they want  it....seal it, if not prepare an aftercare sheet to inform them that weeds will come back unless they weedkiller it a few times a year and your golden, try to make your job as easy as possible with the least comeback possible and you'll be doing ok ?

Back