Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Effects of weather

Gasket

Guys

Having done trad for 10 years I got to understand the weather and the effects on the glass etc. How does the weather effect wfp, I ask Cos I thought hot sunny would be better , quicker drying times , but some of my first cleans I did this week were a mess, very embarrassing to knock the door when u can see it. Maybe I need more rinsing in the sun ??

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Gasket. Unless your super thorough with the 1st clean they won't be perfect.
Hang in there though as we all went through the pain of 1st wfp transition clean. Before you know it you'll be looking back thinking how the hell you trad for so long and the thought of traditional cleaning all day sends shivers down your spine lol.
When I used to trad when I collected of an evening you could just see where I had detailed with a cloth but no other marks but now there's never any marks just super reflective glass. That's the beauty of pure. Pure magic

[emoji9]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Direct sunlight is a nightmare in any cleaning job. The glass can be hot and you are trying to clean it without using loads of water. I would say rinsing a little longer is the answer but it will be good to hear from the old hands.

Hot sunny weather seems to make hydrophobic glass a lot more phobic (repellent to water) which can present rinsing problems. For me the answer has been to use good flow. Don't skimp with the water!

Sorry guys if this sounds daft ...but as newbie, what is a good flow rate , I’m using 35 on my pure freedom controller .. and how long is a good rinse....I’m rinsing until I can’t see any debris and another one on top of that but still mixed results

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Difficult to tell from controller setting as they vary.

I use a 5 litre per minute (5lpm) pump and run it between 80 and 100% of full flow. I use fan jets and rinse either on the glass or very close to it. But as others have said it takes practice and the confidence will come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows that the sun are blazing on all day are a nightmare. I’ve a house in particular that the water sheets down and I’ve rinsed very well and all has looked well. Then time for the insides and once they’ve dryed on the outside it’s been a just a big smear. Had to end up just tradding it. Seen a post tench done earlier this week saying he scrubs once and rinses and then scrubs a second time and rinses 

Appreciate this guys, I thought that as it was pure it wouldn’t matter that it dried quickly , unlike the trad work I’m used to. Every day is a school day

Sorry guys if this sounds daft ...but as newbie, what is a good flow rate , I’m using 35 on my pure freedom controller .. and how long is a good rinse....I’m rinsing until I can’t see any debris and another one on top of that but still mixed results

If the spotting is at the top then you've probably not spent enough time cleaning the top frames. If mainly towards the bottom then you haven't rinsed enough. Also if just converted from trad soap tends to be under the seals and will leach out for a few washes. 

I use a 4 jet brush and my PF controls are set at 30 with no problems rinsing on maintenance cleans. 

A window cleaner in Cyprus once told us that they have to rinse the glass first and cool it down before scrubbing and rinsing.

We have to cool the air gap between the glass when cooling the window down.

You need the water to drain away down the glass taking the dirt with it. If the water dries before it does this, then the dirt is left behind when the water evaporates. You will see the issue if the glass is streaky or spotting occurs at the bottom of the glass. It doesn't happen very often in the UK, but is a popular problem in hot countries such as Australia.

Pure water will dry perfect weather the glass is hot or cold.  However it will not dry perfect if it is still contaminated, dirty (contaminated water) needs to be rinsed off so the pure water that's left dries fine.   The surface temperature makes no difference other than the dirty water drying before it leaves the glass so more rinse is required. 

It is frustrating for you starting out as we are discussing a topic that really can only be learnt through experience.   Even experienced lads still **** this up.  I did a clean in the heat on Monday (first clean) thought I had nailed it, as I came back to the van to pack up I looked back and the windows were streaked to hell so only option was to re-do the whole property.  After a second go over they dried perfect so happy days.   

Here's some tips on flow rate I got years ago when starting out

Difficult to tell from controller setting as they vary.

I use a 5 litre per minute (5lpm) pump and run it between 80 and 100% of full flow. I use fan jets and rinse either on the glass or very close to it. But as others have said it takes practice and the confidence will come.
Do you have to keep charging your leisure battery on this setting , if so how often please ? 

10 hours ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Pure water will dry perfect weather the glass is hot or cold.  However it will not dry perfect if it is still contaminated, dirty (contaminated water) needs to be rinsed off so the pure water that's left dries fine.   The surface temperature makes no difference other than the dirty water drying before it leaves the glass so more rinse is required. 

It is frustrating for you starting out as we are discussing a topic that really can only be learnt through experience.   Even experienced lads still **** this up.  I did a clean in the heat on Monday (first clean) thought I had nailed it, as I came back to the van to pack up I looked back and the windows were streaked to hell so only option was to re-do the whole property.  After a second go over they dried perfect so happy days.   

Here's some tips on flow rate I got years ago when starting out

@Dave B, a warning is required, greens language in that video would make chubby brown blush ??

I had a nightmare when I first changed over ,mainly with wooden frames , the dirt was a nightmare to get out of the frames . With years of trad cleaning and the dirt mixed with my soap clung to the wooden frames . If it’s pvc frames your not rinsing throughly enough . Stick with it though you’ll not be disappointed , after two weeks after changing to wfp I went back to trad for a full week to get my work caught up because I was so behind because I was rinsing for to long lol . Good luck anyway [emoji106]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back