Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The ups and downs of water TDS!

Suhrly

Just started to fill my tank for tomorrow, had a quick check of the inline TDS meter and it's showing 002ppm. So I turned the water off to go and check what's coming out of the tap. It's normally 060-80ppm. It was 280ppm! What on Earth causes these fluctuations in TDS? A little discrepancy I get, but that much...!?! Waiting until later now hopefully it'll come down a couple hundred ?

Just started to fill my tank for tomorrow, had a quick check of the inline TDS meter and it's showing 002ppm. So I turned the water off to go and check what's coming out of the tap. It's normally 060-80ppm. It was 280ppm! What on Earth causes these fluctuations in TDS? A little discrepancy I get, but that much...!?! Waiting until later now hopefully it'll come down a couple hundred ?
They'll be working on the pipes and will have used a different reservoir. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it might be like that for quite awhile.

You might find that the reservoirs are running out of water and the dregs are slowly filtering through. We have not had water for over a week up here so it must be bad down south. Thank heavens that its meant to rain this week.

You might find that the reservoirs are running out of water and the dregs are slowly filtering through. We have not had water for over a week up here so it must be bad down south. Thank heavens that its meant to rain this week.
We have, in the NE, more water reservoirs than anywhere in the UK. If we start to run out they'll be bone dry down south. 

Well it's currently still reading around the 300ppm mark. I was hoping it was gonna come down by now but I'm still gonna hold on for a while before filling the tank. My system is still getting it down to 002ppm which should be OK but I like to be at 000.

Mine has gone up a little to 71ppm (from around 60).
But last year it was 130 for a few months and I can only put it down to the new housing estate up the road being built.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Good job I opted for an RO system! At the time my TDS was pretty much at 80ppm. So I was tempted to go DI only. I would advise everyone to go RO if you have the funds just to at least be on the safe side of something like this happening.

Well it's currently still reading around the 300ppm mark. I was hoping it was gonna come down by now but I'm still gonna hold on for a while before filling the tank. My system is still getting it down to 002ppm which should be OK but I like to be at 000.
5ppm is fine, I'm sure certain people on here will disagree but rain doesn't spot. Ring your water supplier tomorrow, or a friend, saying the water appears different. 

Last edited by a moderator:
5ppm is fine, I'm sure certain people on here will disagree but rain doesn't soot. Ring your water supplier tomorrow, or a friend, saying the water appears different. 

Yeah I was planning on giving them a ring tomorrow and see whats going on if it doesn't change. Wonder if it's maybe cos we've had a bit of a dry spell or something like that.

TAKE THAT BACK! I’m enjoying all this sunshine! ?

Not but seriously, has your water supply been effected? Mine has been fine. 

Update: it got to about 7.30pm on Sunday night and my TDS dropped back down to 80ppm. So I then went ahead and filled up. Wonder if it's something to do with a lot of people using a lot of water..baths, showers ready for the Monday etc why it was high..? Its like someone is flicking a switch or something. I have no clue.

As long as our tap water dont go up. Its at 530 in east suffolk. I do love this great weather but shame it couldnt bucket down in the middle of the night. Its starting to get drought like around here now. No rain for at least a month. Be nice if they installed a big pipeline like they suggested so we can get some of that nice low tds water from up north or out west. Be like mad max one day with windies fighting for cleaning water lol?

Update: it got to about 7.30pm on Sunday night and my TDS dropped back down to 80ppm. So I then went ahead and filled up. Wonder if it's something to do with a lot of people using a lot of water..baths, showers ready for the Monday etc why it was high..? Its like someone is flicking a switch or something. I have no clue.
Any news or has it settled down

Just took a reading...it's 3.30pm and it's at 76ppm so I'm really happy. Even just to know if it does spike it, hopefully, will settle back down again.

Back