Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water leaking out bottom of pole,

ks789

Hi folks, tried looking up any previous info on this but couldnt find. Basically as title says, pole is leaking loads of water coming out from the bottom of the pole. enough to soak your legs and waste lot of water and make cleaning more difficult generally. Cant see any obvious reason why its doing it, wonder if anyone else ever had this and would gardiners fix it (its under a year old)

Great to hear any advise

cheers, kev.

Its an slx22, I did notice just before it happened that it was really hard work extending the pole, like it was getting stuck for some reason. Dont use the uni valve, just a one shot. Right pain as work to do. Guess best thing try and get all pole hose out of pole and if somes damaged cut that section off. Bit dissapointed though, I havent been a heavy user as yet, and for the money you,d expect much more longer wear than this. 

If you're using all season yellow hose it has probably split where it exits the pole. I stopped using this hose for this reason. I was having to replace it too often and like you say when it goes go get nice a wet with all that water constantly running out of the pole. I'd recomment using gardiners green PU hose instead. It is extremely tough.

It may well be something very simple - if the pole was hard work to extend then it probably was the pole hose somehow jammed inside and when freeing it the pole hose has partially pulled out from the 8mm push-fit connector that connects the pole hose to the gooseneck hose.

It is worth pulling the gooseneck out from the pole and firmly pushing the pole hose and the gooseneck hose back into the 8mm straight connector. That should solve the problem ?

If you're using all season yellow hose it has probably split where it exits the pole. I stopped using this hose for this reason. I was having to replace it too often and like you say when it goes go get nice a wet with all that water constantly running out of the pole. I'd recomment using gardiners green PU hose instead. It is extremely tough.
Cheers mark, I just pulled the hose through the pole and disconnected from the orange top bit, reconnected to the orange top bit  being outside of the pole and doesnt appear to be any leaking now. Seems as though it might have worked itself a bit loose from the top. tried to get the top section off to connect all back together inside the pole and it wont budge, like its superglued on or something. anyone know of an easy way to loosen that top section up to be  enable putting all back in through the pole? got some wd40, seems like its locked fast, and my sisters taken the vice to hers, 100s miles away lol. 

It may well be something very simple - if the pole was hard work to extend then it probably was the pole hose somehow jammed inside and when freeing it the pole hose has partially pulled out from the 8mm push-fit connector that connects the pole hose to the gooseneck hose.

It is worth pulling the gooseneck out from the pole and firmly pushing the pole hose and the gooseneck hose back into the 8mm straight connector. That should solve the problem ?
Yes cheers alex, does seem to be no leaks now. Its just that top sections like superglued, but I know it isnt. wd40 safe to use on plastic? not sure what else. maybe bit of fairy?

the bit at the top, the bit that needs to disconnect to be able to put all the hose back inside the pole. my fingers/hands red raw but it wont budge. I cant see any other way of getting the hose back to the end of the pole, because of the way it is that end bit has to come off, 

yes mate, was just gonna upload a pic but dont have it on phone. yes it wont budge. no other way to get hose up there. it stops  before going through end of pole because size of the connector. I can see it would /should separate from the pole, as its not solid joined to the pole ( you can see its a separate section) but is mighty hard to shift.

Cool, i just wanted to make sure i was thinking the same as you.

Mine has been the same.... 

Open section one so you can a grip about 4 inches lower than the clamp 

Remove the clamp from the gooseneck connecter  completely put it somewhere safe 

Then grip section one and the the gooseneck so you can twist it and pull at the same time

Its not screwed in its just bloody tight ! Gloves might help. You should be able to prize and twist it out 

Im not sure what caused it but both of my poles were the same they were fine then one day stuck solid, i had them hanging half out for about 6 months until literally last week when i bought a metal file and filed them down to a better fit.

P.s i did mention it on here and Alex did offer after care but i wasnt that bothered enough to follow it through .

tried wd40, fairy liquid, brute force. will not budge. fn crazy. would be much simpler if was screw on. popping to mates, see if any ideas.

yes cheers bud, will give it a go. Otherwise I was thinking I might have to try with the hose outside, which some say they prefer. If/when get it done maybe worth greasing it?

Yeah you could try grease, if you out working now you could push the hose up straight through without the john guest fitting and you should be able to get it through the little hole.

Like i say mine was fine then one day just stuck solid and i managed to twist it out ,after that i didnt have a clamp in and it was only half way in ! I tried grease but it was like the plastic had expanded so i filed it down gradually until it fit better. 

tried wd40, fairy liquid, brute force. will not budge. fn crazy. would be much simpler if was screw on. popping to mates, see if any ideas.

The method that always works for is as follows. 

Two man job

1. Remove top clamp lever and top half of gooseneck

2. Get one man to firmly hold the top section (slide part out of rest of pole)

3. Fit a large adjustable spanner over the round toothed end of the gooseneck part. 

4. Twist the gooseneck round with the spanner & as it twists it can be gradually pulled out. 

5. Email us on [email protected] with your name & issue details and we will send you a new gooseneck base part. 

6. Fit new part & recover ?

@Alex Gardiner is it caused by the base of the gooseneck expanding ? It seems unlikely - i thought as it happend to both my poles it was something i had or hadnt done ?

Ps im not looking for a freebie replacement! im just interested to know ? 

@Alex Gardiner is it caused by the base of the gooseneck expanding ? It seems unlikely - i thought as it happend to both my poles it was something i had or hadnt done ?

Ps im not looking for a freebie replacement! im just interested to know ? 
It can be caused by 2 things generally.

1. Slight tolerance variations combined with

2. The expansion of the nylon gooseneck shaft as it absorbs moisture during it's life.

Whilst it affects only a percentage of the goosenecks in use, it is still annoying when it happens. To improve this we have started to introduce new design base shafts with grooves to allow for the moisture absorption and subsequent expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have the Gooseneck out, sand it down with some coarse sandpaper till it is a nice slide fit with the clamp undone. I’ve had this with two goosenecks now and this does the trick. Never been a problem since.

just been at mates, we managed eventually, carefully wrapped part in a towel and in a vice and tapped part out and then both pulled and twisted the bugger. He nearly crashed through his fence when it came out but yes, that spanner method sounds the one. Ive sanded it a bit and put some grease on and not pushed it down as far. cheers for all advise   :1f44d:

just been at mates, we managed eventually, carefully wrapped part in a towel and in a vice and tapped part out and then both pulled and twisted the bugger. He nearly crashed through his fence when it came out but yes, that spanner method sounds the one. Ive sanded it a bit and put some grease on and not pushed it down as far. cheers for all advise   :1f44d:
Sounds good - please drop us an email and we can get a replacement new design part out to you.

Back