Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Chemical cleaning pathway and drive way problem

Beer

I've been having a nightmare lately . I've recently cleaned a  drive way with a 0.4 hypo mix half water half hypo was a very hot day rinsed well and left the customer was happy at the time . I've had a phone call saying that there's light white paint like marks on the drive way which is a soft of fiber glass plastic ridged looking driveway which isn't usuall looking type of surface I'm worried that I have damaged the lot anyone have any info on this 

Sounds as if it had been sealed by a sealer of some sort. The hypo mix is usually 1 part hypo mixed with 3 or 4 parts water and a mug of surfactant. Maybe your mix was too strong and reacted with the sealer. You would need to post some pictures but these things happen when we are starting out.

will I need to replace that drive way or can this be resolved . I haven't seen the thing yet and do mention to the lady that it should go with water and rinsing 

will I need to replace that drive way or can this be resolved . I haven't seen the thing yet and do mention to the lady that it should go with water and rinsing 

Really need some pictures to see to see what’s going on : we have never had a problem using g hypo on any surface we just adjust the mix according to what we are doing 

Me neither the lady was flapping due to the sun being so warm I think we've had rain since so it's probably soaked away 

I can’t say i’d like to be you right now [emoji51] we probably do around 15-30 driveways per year, i usually just do block paving and indian sandstone/paving slabs/concrete. We haven’t used hypo once. I wouldn’t go near anything that looks like its been sealed or the new pattern imprint ones etc. got an absolutely minging one coming up where i think some sort of chemical would defo help, but i really do avoid it. When it comes to lichen and that i try my hardest to simply blast them away. Takes time and doesnt always happen. but my worst nightmare would be somebody kicking off about something like this. Sounds bad but i’d rather leave it as a 3 or 4 star job than end up in this situation. Got to cover your own ass financially. Even if they decided they weren’t gonna pay or wanted a discount, you’ve lost a day rather than thousands ££££
I may be experimenting with hypo soon but i’m going to be very cautious about it, and try it at home first. E.g. parents/grandparents/mrs houses. Plenty of lichen there and if anything goes wrong it’s not gonna matter. Plus it gives me a little but of experience as regards mixing/using it, etc etc. dreading it tbh

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I can’t say i’d like to be you right now
emoji51.png
we probably do around 15-30 driveways per year, i usually just do block paving and indian sandstone/paving slabs/concrete. We haven’t used hypo once. I wouldn’t go near anything that looks like its been sealed or the new pattern imprint ones etc. got an absolutely minging one coming up where i think some sort of chemical would defo help, but i really do avoid it. When it comes to lichen and that i try my hardest to simply blast them away. Takes time and doesnt always happen. but my worst nightmare would be somebody kicking off about something like this. Sounds bad but i’d rather leave it as a 3 or 4 star job than end up in this situation. Got to cover your own ass financially. Even if they decided they weren’t gonna pay or wanted a discount, you’ve lost a day rather than thousands ££££
I may be experimenting with hypo soon but i’m going to be very cautious about it, and try it at home first. E.g. parents/grandparents/mrs houses. Plenty of lichen there and if anything goes wrong it’s not gonna matter. Plus it gives me a little but of experience as regards mixing/using it, etc etc. dreading it tbh

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I did a small softwash today at my sister's house. I just brushed it on a few lion ornaments and indian sandstone wall coping and fifestone. Came up great and all I had was a hose. Cant wait to get my new 250bar pressure washer to see the difference. 

Ime no expert on imprinted concrete but this looks more like the sealer has come off in patches rather than damage from hypo just a guess but would suspect that it needs re coulouring and sealing 

Don’t know wether you’ve resolved this but a flick over with a tub of xylene and sealer mix will sort it no colour should be added to the sealer as the colour is in the concrete hope this helps

Imprinted concrete will go 'cloudy' if the sealer is put down on damp concrete to start with.  I would say whom ever sealed it last did so whilst it wasnt quite dry.   Contact Smartseal, they will advise you on how to fix if. 

As it is an old ish drive and they should be resealed about every 2 years the white is delamination of the seal which is why it’s patchy so reseal will sort it as long as it’s clean and bone dry when you do it with no threat of rain for at least half a day, we don’t reseal until April Ish when it warms up a bit hope this helps

I had to sort out a drive like that last year. The sun had made the sealer go that misty colour. Probably because the home owner who originally put the sealer down put it down without the floor being dry. It took a long time to get most of the sealer off and not all of it came off. Customer was happy with end result and I don't think he bothered resealing it. Just turbo lanced it multiple times to get it off.

Latest Posts

Back