Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers moaning about the Rain

I’ve explained to all my customers when I take them on that I will clean in all but the most extreme weather( snow, thunder, lightning) if they try to cancel due to the weather I politely remind them of this and most change there tune.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I normally just say confidently that there's nothing to worry about as we are using a 'wet' system anyway and the end result is not normally affected by the rain and that I'm that confident in it that I'll guarantee my work. In other words, if when the rain stops they dry in a poor state then I'll redo them or not charge for the clean.
In ten years of wfp I can honestly say that to date I've had no one call me back following a clean in the rain.

Whether you tell them the last bit is up to you.

It seems to ease the customer's concerns and once they see that it doesn't cause an issue they are less likey to stop you in the future.

It doesn't work for everyone of course and whether you keep them on or not is up to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine can't reply to the text message.
emoji6.png

County Durham Lad

I looked at an online system that you can send a text with a name instead of a number but never bothered with it. Is that what you use dude?

Are there no circumstances where the rain will cause spotting? I've always trusted peoples advice and cleaned in the rain, if I ain't got much on I move some around the day to stay a little bit dry but never around the week. I just assumed rainwater would cause a little spotting.

Are there no circumstances where the rain will cause spotting? I've always trusted peoples advice and cleaned in the rain, if I ain't got much on I move some around the day to stay a little bit dry but never around the week. I just assumed rainwater would cause a little spotting.
It can do, if it was very heavy with wind blowing it sideways so it runs down the wall onto the window it could make a mess but it's usually fine. If you go back the next day after a heavy shower and look they've always looked fine. It rains every other day on average and they still only need doing every month or so. 

Wind is the worst thing not rain, I've done them on a windy day before and they've looked worse afterwards than before I started.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look on YouTube there are some videos explaining why you CAN clean in the rain, using wfp.

Once you understand this, you can pass this information on to your customers and all should be good.

Obviously you can't please everyone, but if YOU are confident then this should come across to your customers.

Also offer a 'rain guarantee'. Mine is 3 days after i've cleaned. Mad, I know, but that's how I roll!

We tell them when quoting that we work in most weathers if they arnt happy with that I walk away and suggest they need someone else , if they complained after accepting our terms I remind them of that and they are dumped . We don’t phone or txt customers before a clean u less they are a very big commercial job , cannot be doing with that hassle over the years I have weeded out the messers and we very rarely get a complaint working in the rain , I think you need to educate your customers in the way you run your buisness, I won’t have customers dictating when I can or cannot clean due to the weather if they have a genuine reason for not doing them ie building work going on or decorating etc that’s fine , this might sound a bit harsh but you are running a buisness not a charity and need to be able to predict your earnings , you would never do some jobs if you didn’t work in rain , ask them how they would manage if every time it rained they got sent home from work ?. 

I don't really give them an option, I just tell them while i'm quoting that it can be completed in all weathers. I explain that I don't like getting soaked so if its torrential rain I may put them back a bit.

I like the idea of a text they can't reply to because I seem to get a text back from every customer which is fine while I'm not majorly busy but they all want a time etc etc... This could become a problem.

I have always been confident about cleaning in the rain but I assumed it would leave spotting. My argument was that it could rain 5 mins after I leave so meh!

I looked at an online system that you can send a text with a name instead of a number but never bothered with it. Is that what you use dude?

I use textlocal via Cleaner Planner so send texts out via worksheet for access, As for cleaning in the rain no issues at all the only houses to avoid is the ones surrounded by trees as if the wind picks up they end up looking a mess and leave white splashes on the glass. I have worked in the rain for over 10 years with just the odd complaint about cleaning in the rain but never a complaint about the finish when dry. 

I just say that rain on a dirty window looks dreadful, but rain on a clean window is fine. Its logical and most understand it.

I tell them that we have water testing equipment for our water and we have tested rain water, its almost as pure as the water we use(11ppm last time I checked) so it makes no difference!

Say it confidently.

I used to try and dodge rain and sometimes would give in to customers requests.

However now i am simply too busy to not work in the rain, unless its torrential..no one like being soaked to the bone and if the rain is that heavy or wind that bad that its bouncing off sills, blowing off gutters etc then of course use a bit of common sense. Apart from that just get on with it, if anyone has a problem either get rid or just skip them till next month. 

Back