Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure Freedom Trolley PS reading on controller

WCF

Help Support WCF:

THL4KEL

Hi I'm getting PS reading on the controller so from what I have read i think it has an airlock issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Cheers 

If I press up or down the controller says PS.

If I press the third button it's says bat and then zero. 

The charger is plugged in and is illuminated green but I think the battery is flat and won't charge. 

I sucked water through the pump last night. Then I took the battery our of the casing and put a trickle charger on it for the night. Woke up this morning and managed to get a bit of water flowing through it.

Reconnected it to the Pure Freedom charger and it wasn't illuminated green anymore. It's red now so have left it charging on that. 

Think I left the battery too long without charging it. Probably need new battery.

Cheers lads for advice. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a battery replacement?

Airlocks were a bit more of a problem when PF used 1/2 inch hose for the barrel hose years ago, due to the sheer volume of air in the hose that had to be cleared before the pump would start pumping water. Mine almost always had a bubble in the top of the hose that would occasionally find it's way down the hose into the pump.

These days, with the 8mm hose they use, airlocks are quite rare when these trolleys are set up right. I run almost every barrel dry but it never takes more than 2-3 seconds to prime the pump provided I disconnect the pole hose at the trolley before priming.

Can you check your battery voltage as suggested. Check it 4 hours after a full charge to allow it to settle, It should then read about 12.7v. If it's much less then either the charger is faulty or the battery needs replacing.

I would also treat yourself to a CTek charger asap (PF sell them as an upgrade I beleive) as these are first rate and will keep your battery in the best possible condition.

If it turns out to be an airlock and it continues to be a problem I would carefully check that the hose connection to your pump is airtight and that there are no splits anywhere in the barrel hose.

When I had my pf trolley years ago the second battery I bought from them last 18 months.

If you have had it this long or longer the battery could be cream crackered.

County Durham Lad

You can will need to measure the dimensions of your current battery if ordering a new one to be certain it will fit in the casing

County Durham Lad

I found the battery box on my PF trolley to be a hindrance to speedy maintenance. It is also easy to trap and pinch the wires when reassembling and as the fuse is outside the box it doesn't protect the contents of the box. Speaking from experience you don't want to pinch and short the wires when closing the box. I romoved mine and just strapped the battery straight on to the trolley with a small luggage strap.

Also, If you are only using your trolley for odd jobs you don't need a battery anywhere near as big as 26ah. The voltage must be the same but the capacity can be a lot less. You can get away with a 7ah battery. A 10ah one will keep you going all day, and they are a lot cheaper than the 26ah it comes fitted with.

I found the battery box on my PF trolley to be a hindrance to speedy maintenance. It is also easy to trap and pinch the wires when reassembling and as the fuse is outside the box it doesn't protect the contents of the box. Speaking from experience you don't want to pinch and short the wires when closing the box. I romoved mine and just strapped the battery straight on to the trolley with a small luggage strap.

Also, If you are only using your trolley for odd jobs you don't need a battery anywhere near as big as 26ah. The voltage must be the same but the capacity can be a lot less. You can get away with a 7ah battery. A 10ah one will keep you going all day, and they are a lot cheaper than the 26ah it comes fitted with.
Mark the battery that the PF Nano trolley has only needs one charge a week. Do you think I could replace my battery with one like that?

Mark the battery that the PF Nano trolley has only needs one charge a week. Do you think I could replace my battery with one like that?

You probably could but you would have to weigh your needs against the expense as it's quite an expensive purchase especially as it requires a different charger to the other battery so you would need to purchase that as well.

For me it was an easy decision as I bring mine in to charge every evening anyway. So I use the smallest one I can to get me through a day. The 10ah one weighs in at about 1/3rd the weight of the 26ah one, only costs about £30 and I can use my CTek to charge it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah true mate I'm proberly best taking your advice on this and getting the battery size you detailed. I don't need to use it on an every day basis. 

It's been on charge about 18hours now and gone from red to Amber hopefully green in the morning might not need immediate replacement. 

Airlocks were a bit more of a problem when PF used 1/2 inch hose for the barrel hose years ago, due to the sheer volume of air in the hose that had to be cleared before the pump would start pumping water. Mine almost always had a bubble in the top of the hose that would occasionally find it's way down the hose into the pump.

These days, with the 8mm hose they use, airlocks are quite rare when these trolleys are set up right. I run almost every barrel dry but it never takes more than 2-3 seconds to prime the pump provided I disconnect the pole hose at the trolley before priming.

Can you check your battery voltage as suggested. Check it 4 hours after a full charge to allow it to settle, It should then read about 12.7v. If it's much less then either the charger is faulty or the battery needs replacing.

I would also treat yourself to a CTek charger asap (PF sell them as an upgrade I beleive) as these are first rate and will keep your battery in the best possible condition.

If it turns out to be an airlock and it continues to be a problem I would carefully check that the hose connection to your pump is airtight and that there are no splits anywhere in the barrel hose.
The battery took twenty four hours to go green and now it reads 13.4.

THE trickle charger must of kick started the charging initially with it being left for a while. 

Back