Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Easy cheap way to do tubeless setup

Skxawng

Premium Member
I've converted my poles to a tubeless setup today and fitted univalves. Very happy with the results. 

Although Exceed innovations do a enclosure that allows you to disconnect, I've found a quick free method you can use.

For the pole:

As you can see on the picture I have a male rectus 21 type connector with a washer on it. The first pole section needs to be a couple of inches shorter than the rest of the sections. The washer needs to be just the right size to fit inside section 2 but too big to go through section 1. The washer sits on the end of the shortened section 1 which prevents the connector moving down the pole but also keeps it centralised.

I used a M6 plastic washer and reduced the outer diameter to the correct size (you can't buy them the correct size) by sliding it on a bolt, tighten it with a nut, put the bolt in a drill and spinning it while using a file on it.

I also fitted a univalve and put PTFE tape over the o'ring lugs to prevent them damaging the inside of the pole.

For the hose: 

Simply cut a piece of garden hose about 4"-5" long, cut it lengthwise until 3/4" from the end and trim it off. Using hot water to help, slide the hose over the sliding part of the rectus female coupler.

I used pvc tape to wrap round the end to increase the diameter so it is perfectly centralised.

To connect the hose, push it in and 'click'!

To disconnect the hose pull on the peice of hose coming out the bottom.

Turning it on and off still works fine with the univalve by pulling the hose.

Simples!

IMG_20180528_181610.jpg

IMG_20180528_185202.jpg

IMG_20180528_191438.jpg

Edit: One thing I didn't mention, after it is set up, you need to put a screw thread hose clip on the top of the tube where it comes out of the top of the pole to stop it pulling in when you pull the univalve.

A screw one because you need to be able to remove it as thats the only way to access the internal tube, connectors, univalve etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quicker easier way would be a 8mm jg inline fitting & 2 barbs, cost about £3.50. cut hose about 4 inches from bottom of collapsed pole, insert barbs into pole hose, job done, just leave rest of pole hose on reel.

Quicker easier way would be a 8mm jg inline fitting & 2 barbs, cost about £3.50. cut hose about 4 inches from bottom of collapsed pole, insert barbs into pole hose, job done, just leave rest of pole hose on reel.

This is the method I use. Love it. Also if you use PU hose and JG connectors throughout the pole you won’t need ‘o’ clips. At least I never have. 

This is the method I use. Love it. Also if you use PU hose and JG connectors throughout the pole you won’t need ‘o’ clips. At least I never have. 
How do you fit a univalve with Pu hose? Will it go on the barbs/hosetails?

Only the first half of the pole hose is Pu on mine so I just put it on the lower part.

Here you go. Something about PU hose seems to make it grip tighter when you pull on it. Should I need to remove the hose from the barbs on the univalve, I usually carefully cut along it with a craft knife several times until it has just about cut through before trying to pull it off. I don't use deep cuts so as to avoid damaging the barbs.

uvalve 1.jpg

This is my hose retaining method. It's a 7mm hole cut in a small piece of 2" plumbing pipe. PU hose outer diameter is 8mm, so it's a tight fit and doesn't come loose. However, it can be pulled off by twisting and pulling at the same time and is reuseable. I keep spares in the motor just in case. Only had one split in two years

uvalve 2.jpg

This is the bottom of th pole. In meerkat speak the whole thing is 'Simples.'  I keep a 50mm length of 20mm plumbing pipe in my pocket and when I need to shut the flow off whilst I disconnect, I fold the hose and slip it over the fold to hold it

uvalve 3.jpg

I will add that this does not work with PVC hose, it is too soft and will pull off without the 'o' clips

Here you go. Something about PU hose seems to make it grip tighter when you pull on it. Should I need to remove the hose from the barbs on the univalve, I usually carefully cut along it with a craft knife several times until it has just about cut through before trying to pull it off. I don't use deep cuts so as to avoid damaging the barbs.

View attachment 13882

This is my hose retaining method. It's a 7mm hole cut in a small piece of 2" plumbing pipe. PU hose outer diameter is 8mm, so it's a tight fit and doesn't come loose. However, it can be pulled off by twisting and pulling at the same time and is reuseable. I keep spares in the motor just in case. Only had one split in two years

View attachment 13883

This is the bottom of th pole. In meerkat speak the whole thing is 'Simples.'  I keep a 50mm length of 20mm plumbing pipe in my pocket and when I need to shut the flow off whilst I disconnect, I fold the hose and slip it over the fold to hold it

View attachment 13884

I will add that this does not work with PVC hose, it is too soft and will pull off without the 'o' clips
I'll get some Pu hose and use that when I convert my others. I used 6mm microbore but there still is a little stretch in it and it's heavy.

With tubeless setups what do you have from the bottom of the pole? I've just connected my 6mm microbore to the bottom and at full extension it pulls a lot inside and is significantly heavier.

You could have lighter hose for the first 25' or so but then you'd need a join and one of the main benefits of tubeless is there being no join or tap to catch on corners..

You could have lighter hose for the first 25' or so but then you'd need a join and one of the main benefits of tubeless is there being no join or tap to catch on corners..

There are many who do what you are suggesting. The trick is in making the connection in such a way that it doesn’t snag in use. I believe the Slick Connect system from ExCeed gets good reviews in this regard. As I use a trolley and 17 mtrs of pole hose for most of my work this isn’t an issue for me.

So can i ask then , everyone who goes tubeless prefers it is anyone using the exceed kit ? It seems to me everybody is using a diy version

Personally im happy to pay the 60 odd £ and then some to convert the rest of my poles so i have peace of mind i have a reliable leak free set up are you guys all using diy tubeless set ups without issue?

@Marko067 Does your univalve not have any o-clips to keep the hose in place? and is it PU hose? many thanks m

I haven't used 'o' clips to hold my hose to the univalve since I tried to remove the hose for some maintainance over a year ago and couldn't get it off even after removing the 'o' clip. I had to cut it off with a craft knife. So when I put it all back together, I never bothered with the 'o' clips. The hose is Gardiners orange PU pole hose.

Unike PVC hose, PU hose seems to grip tighter when you pull on it escpecially if it's pushed onto a plastic hosetail.

Thanks Marko, learn something new everyday. Didn't think it would hold unless glue was used to set it. The plastic flange with the 7mm hole is a good idea as well, doesn't reduce the flow.  :1f44d:

Yes had mine on for months a still good,  little bag of the stuff will last you ten life times just put into hot water and it will mould to any shape when finished replace back in hot water and remove, best thing I done especially with the John guest fitting as Mrko067 as posted.

being tubeless is so easy my pole is connected all the time unless I’m using my bungalow pole or new a longer pole but Like I say my 18’ pole is  connect 95% of the time just grab pole and start work so simple and quick. 

Sorry just reread your post don’t think using hot water would loosen the plastic at all. 

Back