Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Discoloration or water marks on UPVC frames.

ash ward

Went to quote windows for this customer and there's these marks on the UPVC, like water stain or something. Would a TFR get these off or something else ?

IMG_20180527_171719.jpg

IMG_20180527_171713.jpg

Yes you can remove it but that’s not a normal window clean that’s a restoration job and given a few weeks will return not worth the hassle and expense just explain to the customer 

That looks like soap build up - so not necessarily the seals breaking down. Once you get them off as long as you are cleaning them regularly they will come off with a bit of TFR on the brush. The pink stuff would blast through them stains - especially with a magic sponge and a washing up type of brush. Even a bad ‘restore’ would take 10-15 minutes at the most per window so just price it right and give the customer the blurb that if the seals are knackered they will bleed again. I find the older windows (like in the picture) don’t stain as bad as new plastic. New builds are a pain in the ar$e as virtually every window have the bleed makes on once they’ve been cleaned a few times.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

That looks like soap build up - so not necessarily the seals breaking down. Once you get them off as long as you are cleaning them regularly they will come off with a bit of TFR on the brush. The pink stuff would blast through them stains - especially with a magic sponge and a washing up type of brush. Even a bad ‘restore’ would take 10-15 minutes at the most per window so just price it right and give the customer the blurb that if the seals are knackered they will bleed again. I find the older windows (like in the picture) don’t stain as bad as new plastic. New builds are a pain in the ar$e as virtually every window have the bleed makes on once they’ve been cleaned a few times.

What tfr do you recommend ?

I wouldn't get to heavily involved in trying to restore it back to white unless the custy was paying me £10 a window. Better to tell them they need to live with it or pay you to restore them.

I wouldn't get to heavily involved in trying to restore it back to white unless the custy was paying me £10 a window. Better to tell them they need to live with it or pay you to restore them.
I agree but it does also depends how much work you have on, when I was relatively new I would do little favours like this for just a little bit extra if I knew I had the time. Once you've done it you generally have a customer for life and they'll be more forgiving with any small issues if they occur in future for whatever reason.

Dude your accountant is gonna kill you if you buy any more magic sponges ? 

I agree but it does also depends how much work you have on, when I was relatively new I would do little favours like this for just a little bit extra if I knew I had the time. Once you've done it you generally have a customer for life and they'll be more forgiving with any small issues if they occur in future for whatever reason.
You do need to careful there, 2 years later and your round is bursting.... the same customer will look at you as if you have 10 heads when you tell him/her £10 a window.

Today I pick up 2 leather couches from one of my loyal customers because they are getting new ones. They offered them to me free as I do other bits and pieces for them for free. So I totally agree with you, one good deed will always be remembered but so will the bad one. :1f609:

Today I pick up 2 leather couches from one of my loyal customers because they are getting new ones. They offered them to me free as I do other bits and pieces for them for free. So I totally agree with you, one good deed will always be remembered but so will the bad one. :1f609:
I have a 3yr ols daughter, I get offered clothes and toys etc. all the time. I also got a free Marantz Amplifier as a customer asked me if I knew anything about setting up her new surround system. Sometimes if its just little small jobs like unblocking one downpipe by taking apart the u-bend. It's a 2min job and sometimes its worth more to you to just say 'ahh don't worry about it its a favour, only took me 2mins. they'll generally insist of tipping you more than you were going to charge and they'll be more likely to say yes to your quote of £180 for fascias and gutters in future if they like you and trust that you're not out to just rip them off. ?

I have a 3yr ols daughter, I get offered clothes and toys etc. all the time. I also got a free Marantz Amplifier as a customer asked me if I knew anything about setting up her new surround system. Sometimes if its just little small jobs like unblocking one downpipe by taking apart the u-bend. It's a 2min job and sometimes its worth more to you to just say 'ahh don't worry about it its a favour, only took me 2mins. they'll generally insist of tipping you more than you were going to charge and they'll be more likely to say yes to your quote of £180 for fascias and gutters in future if they like you and trust that you're not out to just rip them off. ?

Yes, used to do a lot of skip jobs till I got my van lettered but it sets me free to concentrate on my power washing adventure.

My youngest son came home today with a couch that was given to him by someone he doesn’t know.

Annoyed me as I’ve told him not to except suites from strangers ?

Latest Posts

Back