Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lifting 25 L Containers

Bart90

Just wondered, particularly those using backpacks, how you manage the constant lifting of 25L containers.  I've been wfp using backpack now for 6 months and the more lifting i do the more my back is feeling it.  I've seen gardiners do a transfer pump, anyone use that?  

I have a similar one to the Gardiner one and it's not bad. Does the job though I hardly use it.

I use barrels, but put them on a trolley so don't have to support them whilst they fill a backpack. They are empty by the time I lift them off so I have no problem then.

I make sure that when I lift them when they are full I properly brace myself. When I transport them to my Motor I use a sack truck so that I don't actually carry them anywhere.

I have a similar one to the Gardiner one and it's not bad. Does the job though I hardly use it.

I use barrels, but put them on a trolley so don't have to support them whilst they fill a backpack. They are empty by the time I lift them off so I have no problem then.

I make sure that when I lift them when they are full I properly brace myself. When I transport them to my Motor I use a sack truck so that I don't actually carry them anywhere.
Where does the transfer pump get it's power?  Is it battery operated and then you re charge it?  

Good Advice there Mark.  I have the gardiners backpack so have to keep supporting them to fill + lift them in and out of the car each day.  I take it you have a trolley that just uses a 25l container as it's reservoir?

Where does the transfer pump get it's power?  Is it battery operated and then you re charge it?  

Good Advice there Mark.  I have the gardiners backpack so have to keep supporting them to fill + lift them in and out of the car each day.  I take it you have a trolley that just uses a 25l container as it's reservoir?

Yeah, I’ve used a PF trolley for 10 years. It’s the best solution for the majority of my work.

The transfer pump requires a 12v source. When I was using it I just carried a spare 12v 7ah battery in the motor.

Yeah, I’ve used a PF trolley for 10 years. It’s the best solution for the majority of my work.

The transfer pump requires a 12v source. When I was using it I just carried a spare 12v 7ah battery in the motor.
Cheers Mark.  I was just looking at the PF trolley, going for £375 but it's dry weight is 25kg, about the same as a water container!  Does it feel heavy lifting it in and out of the car?

Some 25l containers are better than others for pouring water out quickly. Wider necks on the container help. Might sound like not much but you can decanter the water faster so less strain on your back.

Cheers Mark.  I was just looking at the PF trolley, going for £375 but it's dry weight is 25kg, about the same as a water container!  Does it feel heavy lifting it in and out of the car?

It can be a problem if you have to lift it in and out often. However, if you can find a second hand one, you can halve the weight by making a few mods to it as follows:

First, Replace the pump for a backpack style pump. A 4lpm pump or above would be my recommendation. It should bolt straight on.

Second, replace the battery with a 7 or 10ah one. (And lose the battery box)

Third, replace the wheels with pneumatic ones. (Keep a spare on board in case of punctures)

Finally, and this has nothing to do with weight, if the trolley is fitted with a controller with the CAL feature you should be ok with the pump. However, if it has an old style analogue controller you might want to wire in a 40 amp automotive relay to preserve the pressure switch on the pump. Otherwise you will likely be replacing it often.

This is the way I have mine set up at the moment. I can lift it easily with one hand. None of the parts used are expensive.

I used a trolly for a good while and I found that when I used good form lifting I never had an issue, for me the problem became clear at an end to a long day, I was careless and over reached to lift a 25ltr container, felt the slightest of twinges then the following day back tightened and out of work for a week and an expensive chiropractor bill to boot. If carful no problem, if Careless only once it can be a problem. My advice if using trolly, don’t take shortcuts lifting like I did not worth it. As said many times on this forum, slow is fastest.

I used a trolly for a good while and I found that when I used good form lifting I never had an issue, for me the problem became clear at an end to a long day, I was careless and over reached to lift a 25ltr container, felt the slightest of twinges then the following day back tightened and out of work for a week and an expensive chiropractor bill to boot. If carful no problem, if Careless only once it can be a problem. My advice if using trolly, don’t take shortcuts lifting like I did not worth it. As said many times on this forum, slow is fastest.

Well said BigFoot!

I've suffered with my back since I was 29. However, it was a much bigger problem when I was a Traddie. Since being WFP it has been much better. I get minor spasms every now and again but the best thing for them is working through it. Clears them up much quicker.

Like you the only problems I've had with lifting barrels is when I've been in a rush and snatched them up rather than lifting them properly or if I've carried them rather than use the sack truck. Your final comment is spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well said BigFoot!

I've suffered with my back since I was 29. However, it was a much bigger problem when I was a Traddie. Since being WFP it has been much better. I get minor spasms every now and again but the best thing for them is working through it. Clears them up much quicker.

Like you the only problems I've had with lifting barrels is when I've been in a rush and snatched them up rather than lifting them properly or if I've carrid them rather than use the sack truck. Your final comment is spot on.
Was filling up my containers yesterday and thinking, has anyone come up with a no lifting and pouring way to fill the backpack? I feel I waste good pure water with it splashing everywhere. Have you guys managed to avoid this? I was thinking of perhaps using a hand pump and a small bit of hose, but not sure how quick this would be. 

Was filling up my containers yesterday and thinking, has anyone come up with a no lifting and pouring way to fill the backpack? I feel I waste good pure water with it splashing everywhere. Have you guys managed to avoid this? I was thinking of perhaps using a hand pump and a small bit of hose, but not sure how quick this would be. 

If you can figure out a way to syphon it using a 20-25mm ID hose this will fill a back pack fairly quickly.

Put your empty containers in the back of the van then fill them up there so your not lifting them in full.

Connect them to your pump whilst they are still in back of van and run an 100m reel of hose from the pump to the job so your never lifting them full.

To fill backpack disconnect the reel and connect an open ended length of hose to pump outlet and decant into backpack.

I've got a little tap thing similar to this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aeroflow-Tap-For-25-Litre-water-Butt-25L-Water-Containers-jerricans-drums/222779859054?epid=1471299973&hash=item33deb6e06e:g:6r8AAOSwzRlaS-HZ

I used it for the first week but it takes an age. The idea was to just knock the container on its side and hang it slightly over the edge of the van, pop the backpack under the tap and open it up. I got bored really quickly and just whipped the lid off and poured it in. I'm not really one for conserving my water as I have a 500L tank and 10 x 25L containers I can use if needs be. The tap didn't splash away any waste, I just sat on the back of the van and had a cigarette while it filled but it took about the time it takes me to smoke one to fill the backpack, no time for that when I can fill in seconds without it.

Sorry if i'm not reading this right but if your back is playing up then you shouldn't be lifting at all.

You don't want to get to a point where you can't work!

Why not build a van mount?

I have a 350 tank for sale with frame £100

Pure freedom pump and controller £156

Battery 70ah £70

Hose reel £50

Hose £50

I used a pure freedom trolley for 2 years and then stripped it apart and built a van mount. (I had tennis elbow, so had no choice).

Works great.

Just an idea...

Window cleaning warehouse now do a backpack called “the nigel” it is revolutionary. Saves a lot of strain on your back when it comes to lifting both tanks and the backpack. It can be wheeled with ease. We did have a faulty one at first but they replaced it. We have two, and fair play they put any other backpack I’ve used to shame

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

i use a backpack and to fill back pack from 25l drums i use a transfer pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter put the pump into drums and switch on and transfers the water straight to backpack. 35mm diameter pump though not 50mm will be too big for container.  

Last edited by a moderator:
7c6f5b19e01dd582011a7ec5d2b7db65.jpg

I used to use one of these - transfers water very quickly if you use 1” 1/4 hose. No battery power needed just a stable surface to operate the lever. I mounted mine on the end of some shelves in my van and it filled my container (from van mount) in less than a minute.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back