Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Never trust a first clean

Incheck

Just a reminder to everyone to be careful on first cleans especially in this weather when its baking hot. Water drying instantly and on first cleans with vents its a nightmare. Just been over someones front windows three times to get them good and they wern’t even that bad [emoji85] i hate vents

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Someone else mentioned the need to cool down the glass before rinsing, and when you take your time and are generous with the water it really helps.

I have made a decision that in order to provide the best quality clean for the customers and best value for money I will be skipping top frames in hot weather, or if they noticeably need doing then I will clean as normal then towel dry them. Upstairs ones are harder to see so need less attention but if they do need cleaning then just towel on brush and dry.

Its an awkward one really but I'm doing less to achieve more if you get me?

When its not hot just clean as normal.

Maintenance cleans I'm talking about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get it, wouldn't it be easier to clean above vents in hot weather as they dry quickly instead of dripping water down the glass for ages after? 

I don't doubt your findings just wondering why?

(I do above vents only when they get noticeably dirty every few months)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really get it, wouldn't it be easier to clean above vents in hot weather as they dry quickly instead of dripping water down the glass for ages after? 
I don't doubt your findings just wondering why?
(I do above vents only when they get noticeably dirty every few months)
Because if you flush out the vents thoroughly, they shouldn’t streak when they do dribble out. Its just getting them that clean which is the hard part. I would never trust a vent that hasn’t been rinsed inside. Just doing above it is risky in my opinion. If water splashes up in to it for whatever reason and they’re not clean inside, it will streak from my experiences. Part timer would agree i reckon

Because if you flush out the vents thoroughly, they shouldn’t streak when they do dribble out. Its just getting them that clean which is the hard part. I would never trust a vent that hasn’t been rinsed inside. Just doing above it is risky in my opinion. If water splashes up in to it for whatever reason and they’re not clean inside, it will streak from my experiences. Part timer would agree i reckon

I don't actually flush vents out ever- I've always followed the rule "avoid getting water in vents at all cost!"

When I occasionally clean them or on a first clean I brush over them and rinse the frame above but always avoid getting water inside them- I just leave them as long as possible before the final rinse.

Interesting.. two questions spring to mind: Firstly, does cleaning them thoroughly each time stop them making a mess of the glass? And second, doesn't flushing them out cause water to run down the inside of the window?

I don't actually flush vents out ever- I've always followed the rule "avoid getting water in vents at all cost!"
When I occasionally clean them or on a first clean I brush over them and rinse the frame above but always avoid getting water inside them- I just leave them as long as possible before the final rinse.
Interesting.. two questions spring to mind: Firstly, does cleaning them thoroughly each time stop them making a mess of the glass? And second, doesn't flushing them out cause water to run down the inside of the window?
I only give them a thorough flush out on the first clean, after that its hardly necessary other than a quick flush once in a blue moon. I do often remind customers to close the vents as water sometimes gets in.
Quite often it’s the same situation as windows though, you’ll remind customers to close them but half the time they don’t, or unlock gates for that matter!

I know this is going to sound odd but I actually find using fanjets better when cleaning around vents. I have a bigger problem getting water inside vents when using pencil jets. I know this is not everyone’s experience but it’s definitely mine.

I never trust a first clean with wfp full stop. I always charge 2 cleans for for first cleans. Go over once with wfp then by trad.(apart from inaccessible windows over connys etc). Perfect finish every time guaranteed. None of this hoping and praying that they may turn out ok. I’ve found this technique is a lot quicker as well.

Just clean the window thoroughly including frames etc and rinse properly

If it has been cleaned right it will dry right whether a 1st clean or not

Just clean the window thoroughly including frames etc and rinse properly
If it has been cleaned right it will dry right whether a 1st clean or not

The thing is though is that unless you hang around and wait for them to dry(which I highly doubt) then inspect each window you will never know 100% weather they are right or not. Some may say that comes with experience and developing a sixth sense but I’ve been using wfp for nearly fifteen years and unless you can see microscopic particles from twenty feet away then there’s no way you can 100% guarantee how they will turn out.

it was baking so by the time i’d done the bottom the top was dry. Need a beach day soon [emoji267][emoji267][emoji295]️[emoji295]️

Just remember that what looks clean from the ground may be completely different when up close. I’m sure this was covered in a previous post about missing top frames because they look clean from the ground.
Agree with the beach day though lol.
Magaluf on a stag in a few weeks so not long now though.

175641d24ff72a9a8b7855a71e2c784b.jpg
e247d3e25aa801b57da4a35aca96b214.jpg

One from today - call the police, I used a ladder!!!!

I think with a subject like this there are always going to be exceptions in part due to the huge variety of different types of windows that we all clean. There are too many variables.

My goal is to clean my customer's windows to a sufficiently high standard that they are happy customers. If they are happy then I'm happy. If they complain then I'm not happy and will do my best to work out what is causing the problem and resolve it.

My method on as first clean had always been clean top frame of upstairs windows. Microfibre towel on brush head and dry them off.  Them clean the glass and frames sill etc as normal.

Them come down to the lowers and repeat.

1st cleans take longer but must be done right 

My method on as first clean had always been clean top frame of upstairs windows. Microfibre towel on brush head and dry them off.  Them clean the glass and frames sill etc as normal.

Them come down to the lowers and repeat.

1st cleans take longer but must be done right 
This is exactly the way I do it as well. On a 1st clean I like to make sure nothing is going to be dripping from the top frame.

Latest Posts

Back