Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water window cleaning temperature?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

A9 WCS

I have just bought a diesel x-line webasto 9kw heater with frost stat (for winter) and when testing it out back home it seems the coldest it runs on hot water is 26C, it's that hot I cant even hold my hand under the brush head.... I'm concerned I am going to crack glass in summer running that temp let alone in winter. What do the hot water users run there temperatures at during summer and winter months please? Obviously it'll cool down much more through the pipes in the winter month but turning it up isn't a problem. Maybe this is normal and it's fine to clean glass with minimal risk. Any advise would be great fully appreciated  ?

There is a risk. With the Grippa hot system you can regulate the temperature. I could tell you but that’s giving away trade secrets

The heater has a temp control on it, we have ours turned down to min, water still around 20deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

The heater has a temp control on it, we have ours turned down to min, water still around 20deg.

Yes it's set to minimum on the boiler **** but the temp is still showing 26 on the control unit. This will surely crack windows all day long in the winter up here in the highlands when the outside temp is often minus all day long will it not? 20degs at the brush head or on control unit? Do you think at 26deg in summer will be petty safe then aye? Would you advise against cleaning any types of windows with hot water or anything else re hot water please? 

Last edited by a moderator:
26C isn't that hot, are you sure the thermostat is working correctly. 

26C is luke warm. Thermostatic mixing valves are set at 43C for washing ones hands (new regulation for basins fitted to new builds).

I think a thermostatically controlled shower mixer bar has a lock at 38C which can be over ridden to 42C. So if I was showering at 26 degrees I would feel that to cold - unless I was an Eskimo.

1 hour ago, spruce said:

26C is luke warm. Thermostatic mixing valves are set at 43C for washing ones hands (new regulation for basins fitted to new builds).

I think a thermostatically controlled shower mixer bar has a lock at 38C which can be over ridden to 42C. So if I was showering at 26 degrees I would feel that to cold - unless I was an Eskimo.

I know nothing about hot water other than my lazy spa is set to 38c don't think than would crack a pane of glass lol.

I'm not sure where X-Line mount their temp probe but have a feeling it is before the heater so the temp of the water is after the tank. So is not a true reflection of the temperature of the water coming out.

? If 26C is too hot for the OP then why spend all that money on a diesel heater?

Main reason I bought it was because during winter last year I only managed 8 days work in 3 months due to been frozen solid with the frost state and heaters built in I'm hoping when winter comes that this investment will still allow me to work when it's freezing. I'll check the temp with my tds reader today. Many thanks to everyone who's taken time to try help me it's very much appreciated, cheers ?

I'm not sure where X-Line mount their temp probe but have a feeling it is before the heater so the temp of the water is after the tank. So is not a true reflection of the temperature of the water coming out.

On my 2 man Heatwave, Streamline fitted the sensor on the first (main) operators hose from the heat exchanger inside the cabinet. So in their system the temp was pretty accurate. The Spring controller was there to monitor the temp inside the van and its function was to trigger the froststat when the temps got to 2C to start the boiler up.

If someone chose the second operator system as their main heat draw, then the sensor would only be recording the warmth inside the cabinet.

On a 2 man heater, only 1 'side' would get the temperature reading of the water to the brush head.

I would recommend the O/P open the cabinet up and check if he is drawing hot water from the 'side' that has the sensor if its a 2 man system.

On my 2 man Heatwave, Streamline fitted the sensor on the first (main) operators hose from the heat exchanger inside the cabinet. So in their system the temp was pretty accurate. The Spring controller was there to monitor the temp inside the van and its function was to trigger the froststat when the temps got to 2C to start the boiler up.

If someone chose the second operator system as their main heat draw, then the sensor would only be recording the warmth inside the cabinet.

On a 2 man heater, only 1 'side' would get the temperature reading of the water to the brush head.

I would recommend the O/P open the cabinet up and check if he is drawing hot water from the 'side' that has the sensor if its a 2 man system.
Where to position the sensor has always been a subject of debate with me. The sensor on Spring Controllers triggers the frost stat and which is the coldest part in the system is debatable. In Scotland temperatures can drop quickly and the hose reels are often frozen before the heater kicks in.

Hi, we use an x-line Webasto 9kw heater. I think the temp display on the controller is for the temperature of the water in the tank/van so to trigger the frost stat. Only true exit water temp is with a thermometer.

If you can’t hold your hand under the flow then no way is it only 26C

We run at 3/4 in summer and full in winter. Lost one day last winter at -5C

Hope this clarifies?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi, we use an x-line Webasto 9kw heater. I think the temp display on the controller is for the temperature of the water in the tank/van so to trigger the frost stat. Only true exit water temp is with a thermometer.

If you can’t hold your hand under the flow then no way is it only 26C

We run at 3/4 in summer and full in winter. Lost one day last winter at -5C

Hope this clarifies?

Hi, many thanks for the post, may I ask where you're located? I'm in north Scotland where winters can be challenging to say the least with a cold water system hopefully the heater will help reduce the loss of days at work. 

Re the temp issue i'm going to spend some time checking things out this coming weekend/week and hopefully resolve it.

Might sound stupid but why did you lose a day when it was -5? we often have nights up here when it hits minus 5-10, can you see this causing me issues?

Thank you all for the advise you have given ?

Hi, many thanks for the post, may I ask where you're located? I'm in north Scotland where winters can be challenging to say the least with a cold water system hopefully the heater will help reduce the loss of days at work. 

Re the temp issue i'm going to spend some time checking things out this coming weekend/week and hopefully resolve it.

Might sound stupid but why did you lose a day when it was -5? we often have nights up here when it hits minus 5-10, can you see this causing me issues?

Thank you all for the advise you have given [emoji846]
Hi, we are in Yorkshire.

During the freezing nights last year we learned that bringing the reels indoors over night prevented those freezing as the frost stat on the heater only stops the pipes from the tank through the heater to the ports freezing.

The day we had off due to -5 was a couple of things, first was water was freezing on the glass so couldn’t really do anything else with that

and secondly as everyone turns into a complete numpty at the sight of a snowflake we didn’t want anyone driving into our van and taking us out of the game for longer than we could afford!

Do you have the blower on your heater to keep the space warm within your van? If you do it might negate the need to bring reels inside.

Hope this makes sense.

DJ

Hi, we are in Yorkshire.

During the freezing nights last year we learned that bringing the reels indoors over night prevented those freezing as the frost stat on the heater only stops the pipes from the tank through the heater to the ports freezing.

The day we had off due to -5 was a couple of things, first was water was freezing on the glass so couldn’t really do anything else with that

and secondly as everyone turns into a complete numpty at the sight of a snowflake we didn’t want anyone driving into our van and taking us out of the game for longer than we could afford!

Do you have the blower on your heater to keep the space warm within your van? If you do it might negate the need to bring reels inside.

Hope this makes sense.

DJ

Xline offer/offered that blower as an optional extra didn't they.

I agree with you about being cautious with regard to driving in really bad weather. Damaging the van could have long reaching effects and cost more than its worth. This will become even more of an issue if you have an employee to look after.

We live on the North East coast so tend to not get the extremes of temperatures. If I was living inland I would certainly consider a set of winter tyres. But that doesn't account for the others that haven't a clue when it comes to driving in adverse conditions.

Hi, we are in Yorkshire.

Hope this makes sense.

DJ

yes I did take the heater blowers and the frost state extras so hopefully this prevents the reels from freezing. 

Tbf most folk up here are use to driving in bad ice and snow as its the norm for 4 months of the year.

re water freezing on the windows at -5....im guessing turning the water temp up isn't a safe option?

Thanks again everyone.

I leave my 9kw on full all year round and find that the heat you lose from the hose pretty much regulates the temp , as in during winter you lose more heat from the hoses so lower temp at brush head .

Back