Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder Mitt safety tip

mike007

If you have more than one set of ladders, but only one set of ladder mitts like me, you may like me, have the mitts attached to the set you use most with rope/wire etc attaching them through a top rung so you can close the ladder completely, and when you want to use them  just pop them on.

With this method and if you put the mitts on one of your other ladders, the safety tip is this.........Put the mitts on the ladders you use....and using a permanent marker pen, put lines on the ladder where the mitts are seated fully...that way you know they are fitted properley.....simple tip......but makes things safer.

For the bottoms I would buy a corner ladder A. ANDdont forget ladder m8rix
Do you not find carrying a matrix round with you all day is a bit of a ball ache, unless you have three arms[emoji23]. Alls you need is the correct knowledge of how to use ladder. Like I said a good set of spikes for slippery surfaces and always make sure it’s at 75 degree angle or just remember the 1 in 4 rule.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I rarely use ladders now, but when I do I always use the m8rix unless it’s on grass.

as for ladder knowledge I use to trad for over 15 years and never fell and took some STUPID risks no need today .

l

In my experience you need an adjustable base fitted permanently to the bottom of the ladder, one where you can adjust angle if working on sloping ground, so that the ladder is perfectly upright. Also stabiliser legs work great for when you've got to work at a less than idea angle to reach some windows.
Your ass is on the line, so think carefully about what ladders you buy, and what safety features you want to attach to your ladder to make the job enjoyable, and not terrifying!

I rarely use ladders now, but when I do I always use the m8rix unless it’s on grass.
as for ladder knowledge I use to trad for over 15 years and never fell and took some STUPID risks no need today .
l
Fair comment, your the same as me as I have been doin it since I left school in 99. With that amount of experience you will certainly know where your boundaries are. I tried a matrix over a decade ago and hated it. Plus there’s the added ball ache of having to carry it around with you(almost impossible when your already carrying a ladder and a bucket) and for some reason even though they’ve been tested I never really trusted it. I feel a lot more comfortable using a good set of spikes. I was a little sceptical about those also until I tried them but since doing so I wouldn’t use a ladder without them.

In my experience you need an adjustable base fitted permanently to the bottom of the ladder, one where you can adjust angle if working on sloping ground, so that the ladder is perfectly upright. Also stabiliser legs work great for when you've got to work at a less than idea angle to reach some windows.
Your ass is on the line, so think carefully about what ladders you buy, and what safety features you want to attach to your ladder to make the job enjoyable, and not terrifying!

Are they any good? Would imagine they are very time consuming having to re adjust for every window. When working on hills I just extend the ladder to about half way up the window and rather than putting it on or under the sill then I put one half of the top of the ladder in the recess of the window and the other half rested on the wall at the side of the window. Make sure at least one spike is wedged in a crack and your goin no where. The recess stops you goin sideways and the spikes stop you from sliding out. I remember back in the day we used to fold up damp wipe downs and use them as a leveller. [emoji15][emoji15]

Are they any good? Would imagine they are very time consuming having to re adjust for every window. When working on hills I just extend the ladder to about half way up the window and rather than putting it on or under the sill then I put one half of the top of the ladder in the recess of the window and the other half rested on the wall at the side of the window. Make sure at least one spike is wedged in a crack and your goin no where. The recess stops you goin sideways and the spikes stop you from sliding out. I remember back in the day we used to fold up damp wipe downs and use them as a leveller. [emoji15][emoji15]

The titan base mate for ladders were the best, but the company went bust I believe.Unbelievably easy to adjust, as you have lever on each side, for left or right tilting.

Can adjust in a few seconds.

The base mate for ladders were the best, but the company went bust I believe.Unbelievably easy to adjust, as you have lever on each side, for left or right tilting.

Can adjust in a few seconds.

This is the base mate. 1529134764959

Attachments

813.8 KB · Views: 23
No, it doesn't add much weight at all really. The stabiliser legs are pretty light too. But my ladders do weigh a fair bit, they're very solid, which I prefer to be honest. My previous ladders were lighter, but I didn't trust them. Have to feel safe on ladders, otherwise I'd be a nervous wreck.

I use the adjustable base every day, so not overkill for me. [emoji4]

And they're permanently attached to the ladder, for me personally that's critical, as it cuts out any risk taking when you're in a rush.

No, it doesn't add much weight at all really. The stabiliser legs are pretty light too. But my ladders do weigh a fair bit, they're very solid, which I prefer to be honest. My previous ladders were lighter, but I didn't trust them. Have to feel safe on ladders, otherwise I'd be a nervous wreck.
I use the adjustable base every day, so not overkill for me. [emoji4]
And they're permanently attached to the ladder, for me personally that's critical, as it cuts out any risk taking when you're in a rush.

That’s good to know and you hit the nail on the head using the word “rush”. I’d say that’s what causes most accidents and what certainly caused mine. A ladder is only as safe as the person using it imo.

That’s good to know and you hit the nail on the head using the word “rush”. I’d say that’s what causes most accidents and what certainly caused mine. A ladder is only as safe as the person using it imo.

In an ideal world Dave, we wouldnt be in a rush, but we don't live in a utopia, so there's days when we do work faster than is ideal. Having your ladders set up as safely as possible is then paramount.
I came off ladders 30 years ago, was lucky in that I wasn't injured as such, just pinched fingers, and light bruising. But pain teaches us a valuable lesson.

In an ideal world Dave, we wouldnt be in a rush, but we don't live in a utopia, so there's days when we do work faster than is ideal. Having your ladders set up as safely as possible is then paramount.
I came off ladders 30 years ago, was lucky in that I wasn't injured as such, just pinched fingers, and light bruising. But pain teaches us a valuable lesson.

Too true everyone seems to be alot busier these days. There was a topic on here not so long ago and there was lads commenting that they didn’t even have time to chat with their custys. Time is money an all that I suppose. Surely they can’t be that hard up can they??

Always got time to chat to customers..... would just rather not.   Work is work pretty much. Just like to do my job and go home when done. Chatting to 20 customers for 5 mins a day adds another hour to time I could be doing things I enjoy more than cleaning windows. 

Only advice for ladder use is make sure each job is priced properly to allow time for you to do it safely. 

Always got time to chat to customers..... would just rather not.   Work is work pretty much. Just like to do my job and go home when done. Chatting to 20 customers for 5 mins a day adds another hour to time I could be doing things I enjoy more than cleaning windows. 

Only advice for ladder use is make sure each job is priced properly to allow time for you to do it safely. 
When you look at it that way it kinda makes sense but each to their own I suppose. Was only yesterday I picked up two new jobs from having lengthy chats with my existing custys so sometimes it can have a positive effect.

I added feet to my ladders and I wouldn't be without them now. Cost £25 but make the ladder more secure and I have a permanent standoff at the top of the ladder. Small price to pay for safety. Talking to customers can take up your time but it builds rapport. I received a 2 grand suite for free because I know my customer so well but I have a pension so I can understand that time is money.

Latest Posts

Back