Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

tank position in van

spruce

The Sprucefather
As many of you know, I run a swb Citroen Relay van. I have a 650 liter upright Wyedale tank inside the back which runs length ways.

The problem is that I have a section of 'dead space' in the area behind the bulkhead on the driver's side which isn't easily accessable.

I've see many who have their tank fitted width ways. The issue with the Relay/Boxer/Ducato is that a 650 liter tank mounted width ways behind the bulkhead will overload the front axle load weights with the tank full, fuel tank full and 2 operators in the front seats.

Positioning the tank width ways further back toward the rear axle will reduce front axle overloading. This will also leave a small passage of space across the van in the front but doesn't make storage of items ideal due to accessability.

Has any heard of or seen anyone who had a tank fitted diagonally across the van with the front of the tank into the corner behind the drivers seat? My thoughts are that it could help make access to storage easier. Yes one would be left with 2 pointed 'triangles' of space but I would wonder if those aren't such a big issue.

I have a citreon relay, and 650 L upright tank and I have the tank width ways by the back doors, so when you open the doors the tank is facing you  it’s partioned off in it’s own section, the van is swb 

I have a citreon relay, and 650 L upright tank and I have the tank width ways by the back doors, so when you open the doors the tank is facing you  it’s partioned off in it’s own section, the van is swb 
One of the considerations was to put the tank further back width ways above the rear axle, just leaving a small enough space for the 2 hose reels. I would love to see a couple of photos of your setup if that's possible. Thanks.

Mines a Peugeot boxer swb and my tank sits over the rear axle but overhangs more towards the bulkhead. I do have a side door to gain access in front of the tanks were I keep pressure washer/chems/fsc/Hoover etc.
I have boarded the back area out so prying eyes can't see any kit apart from reels and cleaning stuff.
Would post a pick but says administration not allowing pics for some reason..

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Managed to uploadScreenshot_20180611-222038.jpg

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Don't know the exact sizes, but in my mind you'll loose more space mathematically if you put it diagonally, as most tools are square-ish and you won't be able to utilize the floor space properly.

I use dead space in my can for battery and DI (which I rarely change). 

A sort of pull out storage could make use of the entire floor space.

Don't know the exact sizes, but in my mind you'll loose more space mathematically if you put it diagonally, as most tools are square-ish and you won't be able to utilize the floor space properly.

I use dead space in my can for battery and DI (which I rarely change). 

A sort of pull out storage could make use of the entire floor space.
I did that with the battery. I didn't realise how difficult is was to access when I need to put the battery charger onto it. So I overcame that issue by fitting a charging plug into the back. But as the current battery isn't maintenance free, its rather difficult to do that job properly.

The space between the wheel arch and the side of my tank makes access to the space behind the driver very difficult to access. So there are a couple of plastic containers, one with skrims and the other brushes that have gone to die. I slide the fold up step ladder in that narrow space. I screwed a length of guttering onto the floor as a ladder guide to save damage to the floor.

I guess I also need a visit to Ikea to look for some storage ideas for towels etc.

Back