Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Choosing a van thoughts on this

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Craigmac

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be a 1 man operation for the foreseeable. 

So with that in mind 500l tank

1 gutter vac

And possibly a pressure washer further down the line 

Injectors are the big problem . Gearbox also from what I remember. I had a very good vivaro and sold it and 3 months later the Lad who bought it the injectors went 

I heard the turbos are a nightmare on them and that they spend more time in the garage than they do on the road. We have a ford transit mk7. Good solid van, has it’s little hiccups as any vehicle does but nothing major. Would have another for sure [emoji106]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

https://www.avondalemotorpark.com/used-vans/cwmbran-gwent-renault-trafic-sl27-sport-dci-black-van-no-vat/

Gonna have a look at this tomorrow. 

Mileage a little high but for £6k looks like a good buy.

First thoughts on the blinged wing mirrors and handles was - chav van that has probably been scummed. Yet when I seen then sell newer traffics I thought maybe it is one that has been really looked after and just traded in for a newer model. 
I had a Vivaro (Same van, different badge), one year older than this. Mileage wasn't that high (114k) and the bodywork was in good nick (not quite as good as that one looks). It was worth £3500 absolute tops. I sold it for a lot less than that because i've got no space to store it to get a good price... Can't see that 6k with high miles is a good buy mate. For some reason you add £500 minimum on for the fact its got a Renault badge and not a Vauxhall one

Anyone with experience on the traffics. 

What do I need to look for in this one with regards to the age and mileage 
As others have mentioned the injectors are an issue. I never experienced this but basically they get seized in the head, cost £200 each and about £500-1000 in garage fees to get changed.

Apparently the 5 speed box is good. I had the 6 speed box, straight away got a common fault where you get a horrible noise in 5ht and 6th. Had the box refurbished and all the bearings changed (and 2 gears) £1000 later it ran for 6 months with little issue. 6 months and 2/3 weeks since the refurb it got jammed in second. The company that refurbed it wouldn't even look at the box as they only provide a 6 month warranty. Long story short I put a new box in on 1st of May just after ordering a lease van.

The only other issue I had was the MAF sensor but this is a simple fix. If its done over 100K you can expect to deal with this at some point too.

Mine had a timing chain instead of belt which is a bonus. It was a 2009 model and one of the last to have no DPF installed, this one will have a DPF. As long as you're gonna give it plenty of good runs down the motorway this shouldn't bother you but if you only potter round within a few miles of your house it could become an issue.

The bigger engine models are meant to be better than the 2.0 I had. In 10 months i spent £5200 on it, thats £520 per month. If you have 6k to throw around you should seriously consider a lease van. You could put £1-1.5K deposit down and be driving around in a professional looking 18 plate van with all service issues covered for circa £250 per month.

Also, just ran an MOT history check on it mate. In 2013 it had 34,543 miles in 2014 it had 470,061 miles and then back to 65,104 miles in 2015. Clearly a typo but worth noting that if you come to sell it some pillock will stand there and give you grief about that saying it may have gone around the clock in those 12 months ?

Apologies for sounding so negative but I am drawing from my own experience which I would not wish on anybody else!!

Back