Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

whats best for trad poling these?

ks789

Hi all, bit of advice would be handy. Generally do wfp, used to trad years ago, still do the odd cottage or tiny bungalow but usually just scrim/microfibre. Have been asked about this shop front and above. Downstairs is ok wfp, but they want upstairs trad. Ladder not ideal, slopes worse round corner of picture plus lots of pedestrians and I try and avoid ladder if poss. I do a bit of squeegie and blade, but seeing the vids a trad pole etc would be good. Blading off sure looks tricky with the small panes though. I wouldnt use it for many jobs, and id prob need to practice at home first. Any opinions on the gear that would best suit this job?

Advice much appreciated.image.jpeg

wow that pics small, i dont have camera on phone so copy and pasted it off a site.

church-street-woodbridge-suffolk-uk-D76MCD.jpg

Thats better lol

Tbh i think you’d be better off not taking it on at all. It sounds like a mare. I’d love to see someone tradding those to a good standard off a pole. They’re just too small and the sash bars likely to fall off. Only practical option is wfp...
A trad pole comes in handy in the summer mind, when they go out and leave all the upstairs windows open, especially when the windows open inwards and you dont want to flood the bedroom.
Having a trad pole on the van has saved me having to skip these windows a few times recently

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yeh would certainly take time to do well. They said the pole had started causing leeks at the bottom where the wood probably needs replacing. get a lot of these old properties our way. Its a tricky one. 

At the end of the day fella you are the operator, you have the experience, what a customer wants is not always the most practical or safe way of doing things. Convince them of what you think is best and if they dont like it walk away i reckon.
I personally use wfp for all maintenance cleaning.
First cleans are wfp, trad, blade scrapers, magic sponges, cream cleaner, unger rub out, the works. Once they are clean, then theres no real to be using anything other than wfp. Maybe hop up ladder twice a year to check sills and get a closer look.
Old wooden frames do swell when wet and leak yes. but if its not safe to trad either, then there is no ideal way of cleaning them. If you told them this maybe they would either decide to leave them dirty, or think about replacing the windows with non sash and UPVC so that they can be cleaned with ease. Hope this helps dude!

yep, will just be downstairs for now which he suggested and will offer wfp for tops say every 6 months so they wont get so much leaking. Good as they are those trad poles aint suitable for that, not in a decent time frame at least. 

cheers chaps, off to work and then time to consider an appointment with some beers?

The slopes worse round the corner where an upstairs has to be done too. Doesnt look as bad on pic. Also I can be fair jittery up ladders if not 100%, ever since hospitalised for a week and steel plate in my wrist, but yeh true, back before that I would've walked it. 

The slopes worse round the corner where an upstairs has to be done too. Doesnt look as bad on pic. Also I can be fair jittery up ladders if not 100%, ever since hospitalised for a week and steel plate in my wrist, but yeh true, back before that I would've walked it. 
I understand we’re your coming from. I also had a fall around seven years ago and cracked my heel in three places and was out of commission for 3/4 months. It didn’t take me long to gain my confidence back though. Maybe you should have put a better pic up as that just doesn’t look that bad at all.

Back