Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

wfp trolley / backpack advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 84

hey guys so what are you all using? ive been using backpacks for 2 or 3 years now and im going through two a year so now im thinking something a bit more up to the job that will last 3-5 years. and has quality parts that i could already have as spares anyhow (shurflow pump)

what do you guys recommend then please

ive had the gardiners backpack before, i do think i will be going down the trolley route as with the backpacks all the parts are cheap and nasty, least with the trolleys you get a proper pump controller etc.

If you fancy a bit of DIY, try and pick up a second hand PF trolley (standard version) minus it's guts and fit a 4-5lpm Backpack style pump. (Cheap on ebay)

Use minibore hose throughout.

Get rid of the battery and box and fit a 10ah battery instead of the monstrous 26ah jobbie they come with. These are complete overkill IMHO if you're going to charge it every night. A 7ah battery will be fine if you are not using it all day

Fit pnuematic tyres.

And this is particularly important, wire a 40amp automotive relay into the system to take the load of the piddly little microswitch in the pressure switch mounted on the pump. This is the primary reason why these pumps fail us as windies in my experience, as they are not designed to be cycled anywhere near as much as when we use them. Other than that these little pumps are pretty robust.

These mods will virtually halve the weight of the trolley making it easy to lift in and out of your vehicle. I'd recommend keeping a spare wheel and battery on board for those odd times you will get a puncture or forget to charge your trolley.

Or you could buy a Nano. (I already had the standard version to hand)

If weight is not an issue, ignore the above and use it in it's standard form. My first one was used all day, 3-4 days a week, and lasted seven years and I only replaced it as it was getting really tatty. With a good maintenance routine and a little TLC I recon you could make the non-consumable parts of the standard trolley last ten years.

These are not as bad as is made out

We all seem to use the Gardiners 22l backpack on here at around £110. Cant comment on others as the Gardiners one doesn't let us down. You should get a minimum of 3yrs with it.
We’ve had our gardiner backpack V3 for about 15 months and We had to replace the pump (seized up) didn’t use it every day.
So ordered a replacement from soft wash technology which could handle harsh chems for the same price as gardeners.
Otherwise a great backpack

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back