Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner backpack V3 works only on a full flow button

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Gabor

Hi,

Anyone had this problem? My backpack doesn't do anything on a vario flow but if I switch the button to full power it works.

I only use my backpack very rare as I have a van mount system but it's very handy sometimes when I can't park close or back of terraced house etc.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi,

Anyone had this problem? My backpack doesn't do anything on a vario flow but if I switch the button to full power it works.

I only use my backpack very rare as I have a van mount system but it's very handy sometimes when I can't park close or back of terraced house etc.
I thought this when I first got mine, turned out I just needed to adjust the pressure ****. Have you tried that? I assume you meant it only worked on the 2 line setting and you got nothing on the one line setting? I literally turned the **** and it started pumping correctly.

It's the vari-flow control that has given up.

Don't ask why. They do. Know of a lad who had a 3 week old Gardiners back pack and it went on the 2nd time he used it.

Take the bottom off. Just some screws. Very poorly and cheaply put together.

While Gardiners poles and accessories that they have designed themselves are excellent, the quality of the back packs are very,very poor.

Some will say they are only 80 squid but that's not the point. We all work for our money.

I'm hoping they are not assembled in house as they are letting themselves down even more if they are.

I had same problem,was a loose connection.Take bottom plate off and check all connections.Think you need to undo retaining screws for battery as well.If I remember I had a loose battery connection.Contact Gardiners as I think you will need some replacement parts.

Always good to check the connections. Poor soldering had been an issue in the past with these backpacks. That's done at the manufacturer, not at GPS

With what I’ve learned re these backpacks and their innards, if I were to rely on one for extended day to day use I would modify it right off the bat.

First, the pump. They are sturdy little pumps but with one big issue. The micro switch in the built in pressure switch is not up to much. They give out quickly the way most of us use them (Switching them on and off constantly). 

Modification: I would wire an automotive 40amp relay (eBay £2.29) into the circuit to carry the current responsible for this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Automotive-Changeover-Relay-with-Bracket-40A-5-Pin-Car-Bike-Van/282011957360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Second, the flow controllers. The controllers used in these backpacks seem to fail often from what I’ve seen on here. 

Modification: Remove the controller altogether or if flow control is required, fit a cheap PWM controller (eBay £3.25)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-40V-10A-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Switch-Controller-Volt-Regulator-Dimmer/173191125741?hash=item2852fedaed:m:mWMCyrNL0oy8LyX-DSszMLw

Third, I’ve opened up two backpacks, (one from Gardiner’s and one not) and both were poorly wired. Almost all the connections were loose. I would either tighten or remake all the connections with connectors I trust.

Also make sure all hose connections are watertight. They weren’t in one of mine.

If you make these mods there’s no reason why these backpacks shouldn’t last years with a little maintenance from time to time.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Always good to check the connections. Poor soldering had been an issue in the past with these backpacks. That's done at the manufacturer, not at GPS
That's what I had hoped. 

The stuff at GPS is spot on. Like I said, would have been a shame if these were made there. 

Back