Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leaks, leaks everywhere.

P4dstar

Premium Member
Ok so new van and I want to stop leaks. When I sold the old van it became apparent that I have had a steady leak that has eaten the footwell in the sliding door area away. Because of the way the van was set up and how the ply sat I didn't notice the leak. With the ply out the new van the leaks are really noticeable. I have put Protectakote down but I have no doubt that long term exposure to water on this steady scale is gonna create some rust issues. Especially as I have dual sliding doors and each footwell has a plug hole, it's sure to cause some issues under that eventually.

So the 2 major leaks I need help with.....

1. The hose reel. I have an agratti hose reel from Gardiners. When I first got it I didn't use PTFE. I have never worked with water on this scale before so thought it was just something for boilers, I kept tightening the metal connections until they stopped leaking. They started to leak again after a few weeks.

My plan with this is to get some gas PTFE tape. Neighbour who works for city plumbing said that stuff seals much tighter and expands better than water PTFE. Gonna out that around the thread and then use some self amalgamating rubber tape to wrap around. Once it's all sealed up the rubber should set and seal anything the PTFE doesn't overnight. Failing that it's time for some replacement parts, probably only a few quid and I plan to order from Gardiners this week anyway.

2. The tank. 500L upright tank. This is the big leak. I would guesstimate it is leaking approx 5-6 litres over a 24 hour period. I think this has been happening since day one. I thought it was just the hose reel but since working without a ply lined floor I have realised it isn't just this. I have removed the hose reel and the leak is as bad, I have drained the tank and had no leak so I am confident it is the tank. I put the tank in the garage when switching over and had a small leak there but so much water falls on that floor I can never be sure.

My only plan here is to replace it. However the tank was new in September time. Does anyone know if there is some sort of warranty with it? I will email Gardiners in a min as I bought from them but I am conscious they don't supply them direct.

Any advice on either would be greatly appreciated!

PTFE tape is fine but just wrap it round 12 times like we do when fitting radiator valves. Big tank must have a hairline crack in it and will probably need replaced. It should be under warranty, I guess.

PTFE tape is fine but just wrap it round 12 times like we do when fitting radiator valves. Big tank must have a hairline crack in it and will probably need replaced. It should be under warranty, I guess.
Yeah I am hoping someone has had a similar issue and to see how they dealt with it. Warranty is a difficult thing when we transport them around all day, ratchet them in etc etc. I'm 100% confident its not coming from the outlet as it's bone dry around it so must be the plastic of the tank!

Yeah I am hoping someone has had a similar issue and to see how they dealt with it. Warranty is a difficult thing when we transport them around all day, ratchet them in etc etc. I'm 100% confident its not coming from the outlet as it's bone dry around it so must be the plastic of the tank!

You could always try sealing it with CT1 (£12 a tube of clear) if you can spot the gap. Bed wins it, have 2 ArmaDlocks arriving tomorrow to fit on my Crafter.

I thought my tank was leaking for a while, as I always used to notice water on the van floor. I also have a 500L tank. Then I realised that because I was filling the tank right to the brim, it was slashing out from the top of the lid, there’s like a air inlet thing on top. Now I fill up to 460/470Ls and generally no water gets out. 

Hope it’s just that for you. If not, hope you get sorted. 

@P4dstar. One of the local lads had a tank leak at the seam where both tank halves were joined together on his 650 liter tank. Pure freedom replaced the tank under warranty as he also had their tank frame and they fitted it.

If you are using ratchet straps through the center baffel then pulling them down too tightly can cause stress on the join. If this is the case then the manufacturers probably won't see that as a claim.

You need to identify where that leak is coming from first. Just emailing the supplier and saying your tank is leaking doesn't give them enough information. They will probably ask the same question, ie; where is it leaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought my tank was leaking for a while, as I always used to notice water on the van floor. I also have a 500L tank. Then I realised that because I was filling the tank right to the brim, it was slashing out from the top of the lid, there’s like a air inlet thing on top. Now I fill up to 460/470Ls and generally no water gets out. 

The exact act same was happening to me . I thought it was my bucket leaking but it seems there was no seal on the lid of my tank . I cut a ring  out of a flexible rubber mat and put it in the lid and it’s cured mine 

This is definitely a crack in the tank somewhere, this morning theres a few litres on the floor, in the corner and the van hasn't moved. It happens when the tank is only partially full.

@P4dstar. One of the local lads had a tank leak at the seam where both tank halves were joined together on his 650 liter tank. Pure freedom replaced the tank under warranty as he also had their tank frame and they fitted it.

If you are using ratchet straps through the center baffel then pulling them down too tightly can cause stress on the join. If this is the case then the manufacturers probably won't see that as a claim.

You need to identify where that leak is coming from first. Just emailing the supplier and saying your tank is leaking doesn't give them enough information. They will probably ask the same question, ie; where is it leaking?
The ratchet straps are hold down tight only, as in slack enough to actually do something in the event of an accident.

I don't know where to start with this @spruce, the leak is so small I don't now how I would find it, I have checked all the sides so my only assumption remaining is that it's coming from the base.

I figured now i've identified its the tank that is leaking Wyedale may arrange collection and look it over or something, or ask me to take it to a local stockist etc... I really don't know, difficulty is i've had it like 10 months. It appears it has been leaking since day one but I never noticed.

If i'm p1551ng into the wind tryna get help from the manufacturer I could take it off and try blasting the deals with the heat gun, it will either seal the leak of ruin it for good

38e808d59d18e36658374c7fb6e2f9f1.jpg

Definitely not from overfilling!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

This is definitely a crack in the tank somewhere, this morning theres a few litres on the floor, in the corner and the van hasn't moved. It happens when the tank is only partially full.

The ratchet straps are hold down tight only, as in slack enough to actually do something in the event of an accident.

I don't know where to start with this @spruce, the leak is so small I don't now how I would find it, I have checked all the sides so my only assumption remaining is that it's coming from the base.

I figured now i've identified its the tank that is leaking Wyedale may arrange collection and look it over or something, or ask me to take it to a local stockist etc... I really don't know, difficulty is i've had it like 10 months. It appears it has been leaking since day one but I never noticed.

If i'm p1551ng into the wind tryna get help from the manufacturer I could take it off and try blasting the deals with the heat gun, it will either seal the leak of ruin it for good
You should be able to see a 'sweat' from the joins in the baffel or along the side and top seam.

So its more than likely coming from the seam along the bottom by process of elimination.

I know its a pain but I would totally brim my tank so its totally full and then leave it for a few hours. If the level drops and there is no leak at the seams you can see then its coming from the seam along the bottom of the tank.

The leak on a the cleaners tank I mentioned earlier was small, but we could see the tank 'sweat' where the leak was. I don't think P/F asked for the tank back tbh.

Definitely not from overfilling!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
With that amount of water leaking you would be able to see it. So I agree with you, its coming from the base and that's why you can't see it.

I would take this up with the supplier and state what you have on here - that you believe that was leaking earlier but you never noticed it, etc.

They may ask you for a few more photos of the tank fittings etc.

Think it’s gonna be one of those jobs to take a morning off etc, tank the tank out, maybe sit it on some bricks/blocks, A foot off the ground. Half fill it and find where it’s coming out from (on to a dry surface)

Then ring the ‘appropriate people’

one of those things unfortunately that will end up taking a couple of hours.

Yeah, tank out, raise it up to inspect it under, dry it off and then fill until it leaks. 

If you have some brown paper or cardboard to place under it, you can locate the drip instantly.

Had an IBC with a tiny hole a while back, and it only leaked when filled 10cm above the hole due to the pressure from the water. I plugged it easily with some two component epoxy. But if it's a tank under warranty, use said warranty.

There are professional tank welders out there who could repair it properly if it's not under warranty.

Either that, or someone is playing a sick prank on you, breaking into your van without any damage, then sprinkling water around the van during the night. 

Either that, or someone is playing a sick prank on you, breaking into your van without any damage, then sprinkling water around the van during the night. 

? Wasn't that a story line in the sitcom "The Wonder Years?" I'm sure it was Kevin and his father Jack Arnold who played a prank on their next door neighbour. The neighbour had just bought a new Chevy and they went across every night and filled the tank with a gallon of petrol. The neighbour was bragging to all and sundry about the fantastic fuel consumption he was getting with his new car.

A little later, they started syphoning a gallon out of it every night and the car was back in the garage to fix the now terrible fuel consumption. Quite a drama. 

During the night, during the day.... Bloody leprechauns!!

Raising it is a cracking idea. Thanks boys!!

? Wasn't that a story line in the sitcom "The Wonder Years?" I'm sure it was Kevin and his father Jack Arnold who played a prank on their next door neighbour. The neighbour had just bought a new Chevy and they went across every night and filled the tank with a gallon of petrol. The neighbour was bragging to all and sundry about the fantastic fuel consumption he was getting with his new car.

A little later, they started syphoning a gallon out of it every night and the car was back in the garage to fix the now terrible fuel consumption. Quite a drama. 
Showing your age now @spruce.... Although I am 33 and can remember the wonder years.... probably not the story lines though!

This may sound obvious but the leak isn't coming from the thrad where the water comes from the bottom of your tank is it? Mine has a load of tape round it so it doesn't leak but only thing I can really think of that hasn't been mentioned. ?

This may sound obvious but the leak isn't coming from the thrad where the water comes from the bottom of your tank is it? Mine has a load of tape round it so it doesn't leak but only thing I can really think of that hasn't been mentioned. ?
No definitely not from there, it's bone dry all around it mate.

Back