Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pure Water to Buy or not to buy?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sadly I dont have an answer for you, but it would be interesting to know the cost in pence per litre of buying vs producing (if using RO and DI) The only place I have seen it for sale was 3p a litre plus VAT. If they are earning enough to buy/rent land, buy the machine and pay VAT then they must be making quite a profit at 3p a litre I would have thought.

It depends on if you would be on a water metre & your ppm. But even if you were on one and you had very high ppm it’ll probably be close.

I make my own, but I’m not a good example as I’m not on a water metre. So probably only works out £1/£2 a day on resin, filters & membranes for me.

if I was to buy, which I have done a few times when I was moving house & the odd rare week when I work more than I produce, then it can be up to £15 a day for me (500L tank)

But a mate of mine is on a water metre, his 6montly water bill was £500! (Water & waste) plus a few quid on resin etc. And he is/wasn’t really busy, just doing 3/4 days a week. So he also rain harvests now. But we were shocked when he received that bill. But maybe that’s the going rate now?? And at the end of the day it goes on against the tax etc 

There will be a small number of window cleaners who have to buy water in;

Reasons to buy water in could be;

They don't have to mess on with running an r/o system.

They haven't the space to process water.

They live in a flat or apartment and can't process water. (Some flats have a water meter and the cost of water is covered by the tenants, usually as part of their monthly maintenance costs. If one of the tenants started using vast amounts of water, the other tenants wouldn't be happy as they would all be paying toward that tenant's usage.)

They have a fixed cost so know exactly how much a tank of water is.

Reasons for producing your own;

Convenient and its cheaper long term to process and store your own water.

You can fill your van anytime. Buying water from a fellow window cleaning company could well restrict the fill times. (Spotless seem to have the facility of filling up at any hour at some sites.There is a business near us that does supply water at 5p a liter. You can only fill up when there is someone at the unit.)

spotlesswater.co.uk are the up and coming big supplier of it. 3p a litre if you have an account. 

Long term if you can produce you are much better to do that but I understand why you wouldn't. Met a windy in Cheltenham that moved to Bristol (35 miles away) he now chooses to buy water as he reckons the extra cost if offset by the cost to transport 650L of water to Cheltenham daily.... He went on to try and sell me his RO ?

unless you take very small amounts it will alway be cheaper and more convenient to make your own.

These companies that sell it all have overheads unit to rent, metered electric and water,business rates, cost of filters and resin and they need to make enough profit to pay them selves a wage.These points alone should indicate how much cheaper you can do it for your self.

when I was buying water it would cost me any where between £300-£500 a month

Then there's convenience  nothing is easier than getting home and just pulling up and start filling.These units could be 4 or 5 miles away I know shiners that travel to different towns just to fill up then take in to account that when you get there you could have 4 or 5 vans in front of you and you could be wasting an hour a day just filling up.

Then the most important thing that people forget is purity.After time with going to a filling unit people just take for granted and become complacent in checking the water and assume as it should that the water they are buying is 0 tds.

I know that on more than 1 occasion one seller who wasn't checking his product at his unit and sold water as high as 37.

Then the most important thing that people forget is purity.After time with going to a filling unit people just take for granted and become complacent in checking the water and assume as it should that the water they are buying is 0 tds.

I know that on more than 1 occasion one seller who wasn't checking his product at his unit and sold water as high as 37.
So basically he sold some poor unsuspecting mug a tank of tap water!! That would p155 me off on so many levels... Biggest pain in the ar5e would be getting your water in the tank back to 0. No matter how much you drain the only sure fire way to get the tank dry is to take it off and tip it upside down.... Not easy if you've invested in a fitted van system!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back