Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Personal/start up loans.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I borrowed from a relative. Not much, but was a help. Took a year to pay back causally. I presume you mean more of a bank loan etc? Always avoid debt where interest etc is involved as much as you can. (In my meaningless opinion) 

I borrowed from a relative. Not much, but was a help. Took a year to pay back causally. I presume you mean more of a bank loan etc? Always avoid debt where interest etc is involved as much as you can. (In my meaningless opinion) 

I’ve been speaking to a few of my pals who have got good business’ up and running etc...& they advised me to get a loan out to start my adventure. 1 step back and 2 steps forward etc. No one can start a business with peanuts as one of em said. Just wanted opinions from Window clears point of view? Thanks

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile appI’d only be talking about 3-5k max, which doesn’t sound a lot at all to start a business [emoji848] mmmm

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No, compared to most businesses no it’s not. Over 90% of British businesses make a loss in their first two years my old accountant said. Window cleaning you can make a profit in the first year!  It’s up to you, I just try to avoid debt. I know people who took out a big loan, now doing well, I also know people who only bought once they could afford and doing as well now. I’m just a glass half empty person (or tank half empty) and I alway think of the ‘what ifs?’ Then you’ve got a debt hanging over you. 

But mars, if you want to do it & can afford it, do it! 

Mate not mars 

*unless your name is mars

I looked into this, tbh it not worth it, when your starting out every penny you earn counts, first couple of month is hand to mouth, struggling to pay bills, unless you have savings to fall back on. The extra of paying a loan back would be a bit much to start with. Realistically you could in theory set up with as little as £200, if you go trad, or 4-500 wfp. A £3-5k loan isn't really necessary.

There are lads up and down the country that have done it on a shoestring and others that have taken large loans and got going right off the bat. 

Working on a shoestring means you need to canvass evey possible second. Collect as many referrals as possible. And pound the tarmac till your feet bleed then do a bit more ( sure a touch dramatic but if you want to succeed that's how it is) 

Taking a loan can mean decent reliable equipment right away and the ability to perhaps buy in some work either from established cleaners or canvassers (over priced IMO) or through a lead generation service such as this https://greenproclean.co.uk/lead-generation-window-cleaners/

If going the loan route and starting from ground up have you considered a franchise option? Another alternative for you. https://greenproclean.co.uk/window-cleaning-business-franchise-uk/

No, compared to most businesses no it’s not. Over 90% of British businesses make a loss in their first two years my old accountant said. Window cleaning you can make a profit in the first year!  It’s up to you, I just try to avoid debt. I know people who took out a big loan, now doing well, I also know people who only bought once they could afford and doing as well now. I’m just a glass half empty person (or tank half empty) and I alway think of the ‘what ifs?’ Then you’ve got a debt hanging over you. 

But mars, if you want to do it & can afford it, do it! 
Mate not mars 
*unless your name is mars

Diamond [emoji1360]

There are lads up and down the country that have done it on a shoestring and others that have taken large loans and got going right off the bat. 

Working on a shoestring means you need to canvass evey possible second. Collect as many referrals as possible. And pound the tarmac till your feet bleed then do a bit more ( sure a touch dramatic but if you want to succeed that's how it is) 

Taking a loan can mean decent reliable equipment right away and the ability to perhaps buy in some work either from established cleaners or canvassers (over priced IMO) or through a lead generation service such as this https://greenproclean.co.uk/lead-generation-window-cleaners/

If going the loan route and starting from ground up have you considered a franchise option? Another alternative for you. https://greenproclean.co.uk/window-cleaning-business-franchise-uk/
@Green Pro Clean Ltd, can your post be considered advice or advertisement? ?

@Master Jedi Alejandro It is both. 

Advice from a fellow window cleaner and promotion from a sponsor / advertiser of the forum. 

All paying advertisers (the adds you see to the side and on the banner) and all paying suppliers / sponsors (the ones you see in the suppliers / sponsors forum)  are welcome to talk about and promote their services. 

It is only unpaid advertising / Promotions that is frowned upon. 

No one can start a business with peanuts as one of em said. Erm I think you will find people have and will I spent less than a £100 on a ladder and trad gear yes it was over 18 years ago but I was in profit by day 2 . The trouble is these days some lads don't want to go up a ladder and this is by far the cheapest way to set up to see if you can actually take to window cleaning. 

Looking through rose tinted glasses at how easy it looks to run a business is totally different to doing it everyday for the forseeable future, Personally I would look at the very cheapest options of how to start up before committing to getting a loan and been laden with debt. 

I started with a £200 van and a financed basic wfp system £45 pm and just canvassed solid for few weeks my first 10/15 customers covered my finance payments and kept van on road and from there I just kept knocking doors ....... now im not massive or full booked but 12 months later 200 customers and still growing .... only u can decide your start budget and how much how quick you want to get up and running

Yeh fair doos. Got anything in lined up or in mind? VW Transporter sportline & 2man grippatank hot water system? 

Na stupid jokes.

yeh get yourself a little van & cheap diy set up. My first van lasted me 18/21 months. Did the job. 

In hindsight i think taking a 20k loan from the start would be a much more sensible way to go than starting with nothing and struggling for a year earning very little.

i know its often not advised, but knowing what i now know i would absoloutely advise it.

5k on a van and gear, 15k on canvassing/buying work, lead generation etc

that should easily get you 4k a month of work off the bat, ok your load repayments probaby 400 a month but you should still clear 3k plus profit.

Overnight almost you are in business and earning money

now my old brain starting out would say thats way too risky, like i said all hindsight and experience but any noobs coming it could blow a business up in months with the correct use of £££££

will you take the risk ? thats the question

Last edited by a moderator:
In hindsight i think taking a 20k loan from the start would be a much more sensible way to go than starting with nothing and struggling for a year earning very little.

i know its often not advised, but knowing what i now know i would absoloutely advise it.

that should easily get you 4k a month of work off the bat, ok your load repayments probaby 400 a month but you should still clear 3k plus profit.

now my old brain starting out would say thats way too risky, like i said all hindsight and experience but any noobs coming it could blow a business up in months with the correct use of £££££

That’s what I did and have never looked back although I did land lucky and bought some good work that had been cleaning previously so knew exactly what I was letting myself in for.

That’s what I did and have never looked back although I did land lucky and bought some good work that had been cleaning previously so knew exactly what I was letting myself in for.

The thing is dave when youve never been in business before, perhaps you have been working for minimum wage scraping a living we develop a fear of spending money, when actually the quickest way to generate more money is by spending money. Thats why the richest people in the world are investors. But it takes a long time to get out of the employee mindset and have your eyes open to how the world of business works. 

The thing is dave when youve never been in business before, perhaps you have been working for minimum wage scraping a living we develop a fear of spending money, when actually the quickest way to generate more money is by spending money. Thats why the richest people in the world are investors. But it takes a long time to get out of the employee mindset and have your eyes open to how the world of business works. 

Too true. When I first left school I got a job with a mate on his round for £30 a day. The job i had before I started up for myself got me £400 per week before overtime and tax so I was never on mega money. All my mates used to call me a Jew cos I never spent a penny. Tbh even now I’m on a good wage most of it goes to providing for three kids although my wife is on a good crack when she’s not on mat leave and I still begrudge paying someone to do somethin I can do myself.

Anyone funded there business with a loan? Would it be worth it?

Are you already a window cleaner?, or thinking of becoming one?. If already one and you think you can progress quicker or get better equipment then a loan is one option....if you are thinking of becoming a self employed windie, I would advise not,until you have tasted the life, as Iron Giant mentioned about rose tinted glasses....lf you find it,s not for you, you still have loan repayments!!!!

?? Take out a 20k loan you would need one hell of a business plan

County Durham Lad

Back