Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole hose repair.

Kenny Q

It must be the weather and age, but both my pole hoses split this week. Fortunately one split near the valve, so was easy to repair, however the other split right in the middle of the hose. I've ordered replacements, but does anyone know of a temporary or permanent repair if the hose splits in the middle. Thanks in advance ?

Always keep spare hose in the van is the best solution

So easy to split one

You could try b&q or the range as they sell plastic double ended barbs that you can cut out the split bit and rejoin the ends with 2 o rings or use a jg 8mm pushfit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave. I've got new hoses coming next week, so I'll always have a spare, and I'll get a J G 8mm connector. I knew one of you guys would know of an emergency solution.....

B&Q and some handyman shops sell pvc pole hose aswell its not ideal for everyday but it would do you while you wait for delivery- alternatively use a barb to join it. 

It must be the weather and age, but both my pole hoses split this week. Fortunately one split near the valve, so was easy to repair, however the other split right in the middle of the hose. I've ordered replacements, but does anyone know of a temporary or permanent repair if the hose splits in the middle. Thanks in advance [emoji846]
For an emergency repair to a small hole I'll often use a cable tie.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sorry to jump on the thread but would old pole hose cause a leak at the univalve?  What's happening is when the valve is stopping water, i'm getting a spray from the end of the hose where it joins the valve; there's no hole,  it's literally spraying out the end even with O clips attached!  

Sorry to jump on the thread but would old pole hose cause a leak at the univalve?  What's happening is when the valve is stopping water, i'm getting a spray from the end of the hose where it joins the valve; there's no hole,  it's literally spraying out the end even with O clips attached!  
Hi I am having this issue now, did you resolve it?  Does anyone else ever have this problem?  I think it maybe to not crimpping the orings with a proper tool as the side bit son each of the O RING have to be crushed down so then you no the O Ring is fully tight around the while hose. I used a plier and crushed the oring but the sides I feel may not be tight enough hence might need the correct tool to crimp????  I amnot sure, its a pain I have ordered a tool now and new rings so hope that works ?

Hi I am having this issue now, did you resolve it?  Does anyone else ever have this problem?  I think it maybe to not crimpping the orings with a proper tool as the side bit son each of the O RING have to be crushed down so then you no the O Ring is fully tight around the while hose. I used a plier and crushed the oring but the sides I feel may not be tight enough hence might need the correct tool to crimp????  I amnot sure, its a pain I have ordered a tool now and new rings so hope that works ?
I have resolved it for now.  I've always used the correct o crimp tool so that's not the issue in my case.  I used the 9/11 size (written on side of o ring)  and just clamped two of them right next to each other on the univalve.  Seems to have done the trick!

I found when I used to use 'o' clips, that when you crimp them up they lose there circular shape and become eliptical. This caused me problems at first with leakage. I found that once tightened I had to gently reshape them with 'o' clip pliers to get them 'round' again and then recrimp them. This worked most of the time.

Sorry this doesn't answer the original post but it may help with the Univalve leakage problem

Latest Posts

Back