Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Maintainence of pole

brianbadonde

I bought a gardiners slx back in january. It is spinning a fair bit where the sections are wearing down where the clamps are holding. I've heard that you can put lacquer on the sections to protect them, but I've researched and there seems to be a lot of different lacquers so not sure which is the right one to get. Can someone point me in the right direction please ?

I bought a gardiners slx back in january. It is spinning a fair bit where the sections are wearing down where the clamps are holding. I've heard that you can put lacquer on the sections to protect them, but I've researched and there seems to be a lot of different lacquers so not sure which is the right one to get. Can someone point me in the right direction please ?
Engine lacquer has worked well for me. Just a couple of very thin coats.

The best I have ever used was Gunk engine lacquer but couldn't get it last time I looked for it. I bought a tin of paint lacquer from Halfords but that didn't last long.

Simoniz clear paint lacquer did a reasonable job but not as good as engine lacquer. When my last tin of Simoniz is finished I will look for something else.

There is a YouTube video with a cleaner and his dad applying Simoniz lacquer on their poles, but he has since stated that they have found a better product. Unfortunately he didn't say its name. The section that deals with this is from 4.10 onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Brian

If looked after, a pole that is 5 months old should not really be causing issues with wear and should certainly not be needing lacquer applying.

To help provide some maintenance and use advice could you email me some photos of the areas of wear and also some photos of the overlap areas on the top 3 sections (pull out the sections from the clamp so that the 20cm area of overlap on these sections is visible).

Please email these to me on [email protected] and I can take a look and discuss further with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The smart clamps need to be tighter than you think , if too loose the section can spin and accelerate wear in the closed clamp position .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back