Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Neighbourhood Discount? Good idea?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

windowgleamtrowbridge

I’m hoping to attract some new customers in the streets of my current customers to try and build a nice compact round.

I was thinking about having a promotion for neighbourhoods.

I was thinking maybe offering up to a 20% Discount for everyone in the street with levels of discount depending on how many sign up.

I was thinking something like:

1 person = 5% off

2 people = 10% off

3 people = 15% off

4 people = 20% off

On regular cleaning only of course.

As I’m on a bicycle, I find most of my wasted time preventing me from earning more is cycling between properties, plus it’s horrible in this heat having to move so much, so my thinking is, have a tight round in a street then it would mean less travelling.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

I feel your pain bro'. It's been a killer driving round in an air conditioned van too ?

20% off for 4... where does it end? Charge  the going rate for every job, if they want you then they will want you!! When you reach saturation then over charge. If you get em great if you don't then no worries. 

Have you had any thoughts about getting a van in the future?

Currently I don’t drive. And it’s a fortune to learn. Hoping the missus agrees to drive me around in a van at some point. But she has to look after the foster child when schools out!

I’d like a nice compact round so she can run around dropping off barrels and I come along and empty them! Much better on the back of the bike empty...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It's hardly a fortune mate. Have the Mrs or or your mum bang some L plates  on the car and get practising.  

All in it will cost a couple of hundred to pass your test. Better than cycling or needing a wife to chauffer you about. 

Discounting houses is not generally a good idea.. (for example going below your usual price to  pick up more custys) -But if you've put an extra charge on the original house because it's on its own then removing the extra charge when you pick up neighbors isn't really doing a discount.

I work it out like this: 

Let's say you work to £40ph across the day. If you've a row of 4 houses that take 15 mins each including packing away/collecting etc then you can charge £10 each.

If there is an identical house on its own that is a 15min round trip away then it takes 30mins out of your day and is £20.

If you then pick up another house next door then the two houses take 45mins including travel so it would be ok to reduce the charge to £15 each. 

(Any subsequent new customers will make it even more efficient and profitable but they've already had 1 discount they're not getting another!)

So basically I charge a premium for isolated houses but usually say I'll knock a few quid off if I pick up any more on the street. That gives them a push to go selling your service to their neighbors.

Charging appropriately could be actually more profitable than charging the max possible sometimes. With the above example- you do a good job and £15 while not the cheapest isn't bad so you pick up a third and including travel earn £45ph. 

Potentially if you stuck to the £20 you might not have picked up any more nearby and would have been on £40ph.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only have so many hours in a day to maximise what money you can earn, regardless of where you are in terms of logistics / business so With regards to discounts - I clean my mum and my girlfriends windows for free why?

Mum - is obvious
Girlfriend - is a marketer and takes care of my business for free on that part (I certainly have the better deal that’s for sure!)

Any other window cleaning I have set prices and not a penny less regardless of what they’ve been charged, whether they introduce a friend etc and so on...

I do however offer a discount to regular window cleaning customers who ask for any of my other services such as FSG cleaning, pressure washing etc

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

You only have so many hours in a day to maximise what money you can earn, regardless of where you are in terms of logistics / business so With regards to discounts - I clean my mum and my girlfriends windows for free why?

Mum - is obvious
Girlfriend - is a marketer and takes care of my business for free on that part (I certainly have the better deal that’s for sure!)

Any other window cleaning I have set prices and not a penny less regardless of what they’ve been charged, whether they introduce a friend etc and so on...

I do however offer a discount to regular window cleaning customers who ask for any of my other services such as FSG cleaning, pressure washing etc

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Love the fact you need a reason to discount the girlfriend... I'd be scared pooless as a reason itself haha

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back