Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water shortage / Hot Weather

It's not really a hosepipe in the sense of a garden hose from a tap so I don't know how they could put it in that category anyway

Would they class my backpack as using a hosepipe?

It will only effect the South of the country to many houses not enough of a viable water supply. [emoji12]

County Durham Lad

it will not effect us as we have a need for our business.Many years ago when there was talk of a ban the Federation of window cleaners got this clarified from the water companies.

The ban if it happens will be for non essential use like watering  your garden and car etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will not effect us as we it  as a need for our business.Many years ago when there was talk of a ban the Federation of window cleaners got this clarified from the water companies.

The ban if it happens will be for non essential watering like your garden and car etc.
But is washing your windows just as non essential as washing the car?

Technically window cleaning, car valeting etc are non essential but to put a ban on business use would effect peoples ability to earn a living and they don't wan't to do that.A three month water ban on a business like window cleaning would send most sole traders under.

A ban hasn't effected are industry in the past and would be unlikely to in the future.

You also have to consider how your customers feel about you using a 'hose pipe' to clean their windows. Whilst we will be able to continue as we are a business, our customers might feel differently.

If they are sensitive about wasting precious water then you could leave their windows until the ban ended. There will be just a handful that are adamant about saving water. You will replace them before the bans ends and you can then make a decision as to whether you will proceed with your business arrangement with them or not.

It works both ways. They are entitled to their stance, but you have to earn a living. I'm pretty sure that if their job was reliant on water they would change their tune. The do-gooders are usually the ones who have the least to loose.

We have never had a hose pipe ban in the North East since we have been window cleaning. However, we did have a customer ask us to save water by doing them the old way off ladders. My reply was my life to me was worth more than saving a few liters of water. We were told that they would get back in touch with us when the restrictions ended. We never had any restrictions anyway. We were never invited back. They found a trad cleaner - they were more plentiful in those days. Pity though as I never got to say sorry but I've replaced their account with another customer.

I see, i just thought they may even target business use in extreme events, in the case of there being no water i thought they may prioritise it for drinking. My old man said that one year in the 70’s it didn’t rain for months. Its been a bit of a crazy year so far. Not many storms or wind which was unusual. But in terms of the amount of snow we had, and how dry this summer is, i haven’t seen anything like it in a long time. The waste pipe froze outside and when i got out of the bath the water stayed in there for 3 days before the waste pipe thawed out [emoji23] and the basin, had a shave and my beard was stuck in there floating for days. Nightmare

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Technically window cleaning, car valeting etc are non essential but to put a ban on business use would effect peoples ability to earn a living and they don't wan't to do that.A three month water ban on a business like window cleaning would send most sole traders under.

A ban hasn't effected are industry in the past and would be unlikely to in the future.
Check out vieola water terms and conditions mate

As far as i have been told they specifically say wfp is a no no in certain drought conditions

Not checked it yet but was reliably told that earlier

Check out vieola water terms and conditions mate

As far as i have been told they specifically say wfp is a no no in certain drought conditions

Not checked it yet but was reliably told that earlier

We are exempt from any ban down hear but I guess that other water companies may have different criteria

http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk/2012/03/27/southern-water-hosepipe-ban-restrictions-2012/I know it's for 2012, but according to the exemptions we are fine

[mention=5882]Incheck[/mention] just had a look at Welsh water, they have no plans for a van anytime soon, went past one of the reservoirs today and it's pretty much full
That is reassuring. Thanks pal. They were on about supplying England with water earlier this year. I bet they’ll be thinking twice about that now!

Too many of us in the country now this used to be a nation of 40 or so million, now we are heading towards 70 million. If everyone uses 150 litres + per day domestically, that’s nearly double the water being used. (I’m talking the uk in general) theres only 3 million here in wales itself

Ok I guess i shall start it off. ...any observations on the implications for us using the wfp re the water issues around the country guys. Would you stop working !!

This isn't the first talk of a water ban since I have been going and it won't be the last but going from expierence it did not impact our industry before so I would assume it to unlikely effect us now.

Also it is times like this when love them or hate them The Federation Of Window Cleaners stand up to represent their members and present them with the facts like they have in previous talks of water bans affecting are industry.

To be honest rain fall has been low this year and the last 2 weeks unusually hot but it just shows how lack of investment and a bit of hot weather panics one of the wettest european countries.

We just can't deal with any type of adverse weather in this country it's a joke.

Trebble the prices and go trad [emoji23]

Will be putting prices up next year on all houses, again. that’s for sure. If we have another winter with below average rainfall as we have had the last 2 winters, and another hot summer next year, then they say we could be in real trouble. Make hay while the sky rains could be a saying of the future [emoji23]

You will probably get a fine if caught using a hose but then you would need to stop working and wouldn't have money to pay the fine. So they may send you to prison but that costs a grand a week so financially it doesn't add up.

We had a big fire in centre of Glasgow and the businesses are all suffering and getting no help whatsoever. Don't think the council or Gov are obligated to help, maybe their insurance will pay out but I very much doubt that it will trigger a pay out.

even if they did ban wfp I think 90% of windies would just crack on trad, bills have to be paid either way.

Back