Jump to content
Iron Giant

Ro production nightmare



Recommended Posts

Iron Giant

 

@spruce & @doug atkinson So got home today and realised my ro had being on flush all the day and possibly yesterday, Water pressure has dropped again and production is down to a trickle

 

Only got around 100ltrs produced and tds is up to 004ppm only got a 100ltrs of pure and got a full days work tomorrow

 

Uploading pics just now incase something is connected up wrong despite it always being fine and did membrane changes and pre filters in recent weeks 20180705_175256.jpg20180705_175156.jpg20180705_175133.jpg

 

County Durham Lad

 

 

 

Waste is way faster than pure20180705_175112.jpg1530809974566

County Durham Lad
 

Edited by Iron Giant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phillip

I'm in Gateshead have plenty pure if you want you can pop through and fill up. Would not want nothing it happened to me before now how much of a **** it is.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
3 minutes ago, phillip said:

I'm in Gateshead have plenty pure if you want you can pop through and fill up. Would not want nothing it happened to me before now how much of a **** it is.

 

 


Thanks mate really appreciate the offer, Just checked the waste output and its reading 104ppm 😮 and my tap tds is 79ppm . I will message you now for details if ok 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doug atkinson

All looks okay and waste is always higher than what's going in.

 

Disconnect the blue hoses from the T-Fittings and see if one of the membranes is not performing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Part Timer

With a TDS of 79 can't you just use DI till you're back up and running 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
13 minutes ago, doug atkinson said:

All looks okay and waste is always higher than what's going in.

 

Disconnect the blue hoses from the T-Fittings and see if one of the membranes is not performing


Thanks Doug I will check in the morning as not long got back in the house, But it was only 8 weeks or when I replaced them so I assume they should be ok, might be the drop in water pressure 

5 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

With a TDS of 79 can't you just use DI till you're back up and running 


Yes I am going to as @THL4KEL is just down the road from me and has offered to help me out so should be good into early next week 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Part Timer
3 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


Thanks Doug I will check in the morning as not long got back in the house, But it was only 8 weeks or when I replaced them so I assume they should be ok, might be the drop in water pressure 


Yes I am going to as @THL4KEL is just down the road from me and has offered to help me out so should be good into early next week 

Got a bag of resin if you run low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
12 hours ago, phillip said:

I'm in Gateshead have plenty pure if you want you can pop through and fill up. Would not want nothing it happened to me before now how much of a **** it is.

 

 


@phillip totally top guy, Very very much appreciated mate, 350ltr tank nice and full along with 2 containers to so I can complete all my work tomorrow without losing out. 

10 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Got a bag of resin if you run low


Thanks @Part Timer I should be good thanks to the decent lads including you on here who have offered to help me out a the drop of a hat. 

Edited by Iron Giant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
All looks okay and waste is always higher than what's going in.
 
Disconnect the blue hoses from the T-Fittings and see if one of the membranes is not performing
Disconnected hoses and took tds readings, flow is as expected from pre filters but once-over the water passes through the 1st membrane it's down to barely a trickle and continues through each membrane

County Durham Lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce

Water pressure in down because of demand. There are a lot of water authorities who say they can't purify water fast enough to met demand so are giving users the impression that they have introduced a hose pipe ban hoping to stop people watering their gardens. You will probably be better off producing water overnight @Iron Giant

 

We had a bit in the paper asking people to be thoughful and considerate of others and not water their grass but to let it go brown. It will revive with the first rain. However, the situation in Manchester area is that the dams are still 75% full, but they are threatening a hose pipe ban. All these new houses are being built but no one seems to consider if the infrastructure is able to cope. These utility companies appear to be making big profits but aren't reinvesting back into the system.

 

We have 800 new houses with planning approval and about 180 being built. This means that morning rush hour could well have another 1500 to 2000 cars heading toward Middlesbrough in the morning on single carriage roads. No improvement to the existing road system is planned. Bet the same applies to the water supply situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
8 hours ago, spruce said:

Water pressure in down because of demand. There are a lot of water authorities who say they can't purify water fast enough to met demand so are giving users the impression that they have introduced a hose pipe ban hoping to stop people watering their gardens. You will probably be better off producing water overnight @Iron Giant

 

We had a bit in the paper asking people to be thoughful and considerate of others and not water their grass but to let it go brown. It will revive with the first rain. However, the situation in Manchester area is that the dams are still 75% full, but they are threatening a hose pipe ban. All these new houses are being built but no one seems to consider if the infrastructure is able to cope. These utility companies appear to be making big profits but aren't reinvesting back into the system.

 

We have 800 new houses with planning approval and about 180 being built. This means that morning rush hour could well have another 1500 to 2000 cars heading toward Middlesbrough in the morning on single carriage roads. No improvement to the existing road system is planned. Bet the same applies to the water supply situation.



The flow rate I am getting currently for pure would be lucky to produce 100 ltrs within 8 hrs, So I am thinking my option is either a booster pump or DI as i have a vessel in the garage which is I think is a 15ltr spectrum i bought from @doug atkinson around 4-5 years  ago and just run it on as low pressure as possible to ensure to get the best out of it to see me through short term. But the short term could go on for weeks and I need 300ltrs + a day 

But if I go down the booster pump route next week for example as it's Friday, Then as I am clueless how do set it up is the pump connected from the pre-filter outlet tubing which now goes into the first membrane, Would that be placed into the pump inlet then tubing from the outlet of the pump into the first membrane thus boosting water pressure  through the membranes in order to produce sufficiently. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant

@spruce they have built 100's of houses in the next town from me and there is 100's to be built as yet and we are all the same line i assume with it coming from kielder and all the way down into Yorkshire I think it is. 

As for watering the the lawn gulity as charged 🤣 I have spent years getting rid of weeds from a weed ridden lawn and trying to get a decent quality lawn I ain't letting it die back so water it most nights  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
27 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:



The flow rate I am getting currently for pure would be lucky to produce 100 ltrs within 8 hrs, So I am thinking my option is either a booster pump or DI as i have a vessel in the garage which is I think is a 15ltr spectrum i bought from @doug atkinson around 4-5 years  ago and just run it on as low pressure as possible to ensure to get the best out of it to see me through short term. But the short term could go on for weeks and I need 300ltrs + a day 

But if I go down the booster pump route next week for example as it's Friday, Then as I am clueless how do set it up is the pump connected from the pre-filter outlet tubing which now goes into the first membrane, Would that be placed into the pump inlet then tubing from the outlet of the pump into the first membrane thus boosting water pressure  through the membranes in order to produce sufficiently. Thanks 

 

Pure Freedom have the recommended booster pump that would work with your r/o.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/transformer-for-our-24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/

 

It 'plugs' into the line between the prefilters and your first membrane. It uses John Guest push in connectors which I presume are 1/4" matching the standard r/o tubing that the r/o uses.

I would order a length of tubing just to make sure that you have enough to place your booster pump where its most convenient for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
12 minutes ago, spruce said:

 

Pure Freedom have the recommended booster pump that would work with your r/o.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/transformer-for-our-24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/

 

It 'plugs' into the line between the prefilters and your first membrane. It uses John Guest push in connectors which I presume are 1/4" matching the standard r/o tubing that the r/o uses.

I would order a length of tubing just to make sure that you have enough to place your booster pump where its most convenient for you.



Thanks @spruce just been looking at that one it's more expensive with the transformer @ £127.98 delivered than the window cleaning warehouse but with their delivery issues highlighted in another post i am more inclined to order from PF, I think were i mount the pump will be determined by how long the transformer cable is ideally I would just mount on the side of the shed onto a piece of board right next to my ro. 

Edited by Iron Giant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
8 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:



Thanks @spruce just been looking at that one it's more expensive with the transformer @ £127.98 delivered than the window cleaning warehouse but with their delivery issues highlighted in another post i am more inclined to order from PF, I think were i mount the pump will be determined by how long the transformer cable is ideally I would just mount on the side of the shed onto a piece of board right next to my ro. 

 

Sorry @Iron Giant.

This is cheaper.

 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump-power-supply/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
17 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


I found it, just can't find JG tubing but i should be could was just going to order 1m 

I couldn't find 1/4" tubing listed either 😕

 

They must have it somewhere as they supply small r/o systems. Maybe they aren't listed as they class it as a consumable. So you might have to phone them to order it.

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
Just now, spruce said:

I couldn't find 1/4" tubing listed either 😕

 

They must have it somewhere as they supply small r/o systems

 
I will just phone them this morning and ask for 1m to be added to my order, thanks for taking the time out to help me again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce

One of the things that is niggling at me is the suddeness of the slow production @Iron Giant.

 

If I draw on my trouble shooting experience from many years ago and put my trouble shooting hat on, I would link the down turn in production rate with the flushing period rather than lower water pressure.

 

One of the questions we had to ask is what changed immediately before the problem arose. Water pressure issues may be coincidental but I'm leaning toward membrane issues caused by over flushing.

Maybe I would take a tour to a plumbers outlet/screwfix and buy a water pressure gauge and check what your actual water pressure is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant
One of the things that is niggling at me is the suddeness of the slow production [mention=3115]Iron Giant[/mention].
 
If I draw on my trouble shooting experience from many years ago and put my trouble shooting hat on, I would link the down turn in production rate with the flushing period rather than lower water pressure.
 
One of the questions we had to ask is what changed immediately before the problem arose. Water pressure issues may be coincidental but I'm leaning toward membrane issues caused by over flushing.
Maybe I would take a tour to a plumbers outlet/screwfix and buy a water pressure gauge and check what your actual water pressure is.
Just put the order in for booster pump as well [emoji53], So potentially I have trashed my membranes with excessive flushing

County Durham Lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
17 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Just put the order in for booster pump as well emoji53.png, So potentially I have trashed my membranes with excessive flushing

County Durham Lad
 

 

It just seems that the start of the problem and flushing just prior to that are too coincidental for it not to ring a bell in my head. If you check your water pressure and its down then that could be the problem. But I honestly don't know what damage over flushing can do to a membrane if anything.

 

Your water pressure should return to normal over night, so if your r/o is still producing poorly then it must be membrane related. Are you still getting the right waste water to pure ratio? In other words, is there an issue with your flush tap with too much waste water being sent to the drain?

 

Maybe @doug atkinsonwould have a better idea on this.

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant

Tap pressure has dropped quite a bit and could continue for weeks on end if the warm spell continues, So I may have production issues moving forward. Thinking back it was producing at a reasonable rate on Wednesday but did take 14 hrs to fill but it could have been on flush then, appalling memory doesn't help. 

If I open the stopcock in the house fully the flow out of the tap doesn't increase at all, So my quandry is do i cancel my order for the booster pump. 

The flow from the waste is 2-3 times faster than the flow from the waste I have a inline restrictor valve fitted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spruce
7 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Tap pressure has dropped quite a bit and could continue for weeks on end if the warm spell continues, So I may have production issues moving forward. Thinking back it was producing at a reasonable rate on Wednesday but did take 14 hrs to fill but it could have been on flush then, appalling memory doesn't help. 

If I open the stopcock in the house fully the flow out of the tap doesn't increase at all, So my quandry is do i cancel my order for the booster pump. 

The flow from the waste is 2-3 times faster than the flow from the waste I have a inline restrictor valve fitted 

I should have gone back and looked at your photo and seen your inline restrictor. A booster pump isn't a bad addition to your kit anyway and its not costing you an arm and a leg. If you have already placed your order and you feel production is due to water pressure, then I would let the order stand.

 

One of the local lads added a booster pump to his 300gpd r/o as his r/o without a booster pump wasn't providing him with enough water when he had a second cleaner working with him a couple of days a week. He now has sufficient for his requirements thanks to the booster pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant

Its only me so slow production to a point won't be an issue as such but I've cancelled the booster pump order for now as would you believe everything is back to normal practically again :banghead3:  and I only went and ordered some new membranes in a panic from @doug atkinson i will have to ring him this morning 

Must get to work anyways, I will update you later on. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iron Giant

Booster pump is back on order and will have a chat with Doug later.

County Durham Lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.