Iron Giant

Ro production nightmare

Iron Giant

Flow from the pre filters is good but when it passes through No1 membrane the output from the membrane is just dripping out and the tds is 11ppm and continues to rise as it goes through each membrane. [emoji17]

I don't have any new pre-filters to change the ones I have and the booster pump when I re-connected it does increase the pure production flow but the tds doesn't drop but all seems to go pete tong with the membranes 

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant

doug atkinson

Have you got the pump connected on the waste tube?

Should be between last filter and first membrane.

Iron Giant
Have you got the pump connected on the waste tube?

Should be between last filter and first membrane.
Yes after pre filters into the pump then into the first membrane

County Durham Lad

doug atkinson

Your third picture it does not look connected that way nothing going to the membrane but connected to the waste pipe (red),

If you have done that you could have damaged the flow restrictor

Iron Giant

At the time I took that photo I didn't have the pump connected at all and the red pipe coming out of the pump was just spare hose I had to hand and in the pic it does look like that but the red pipe out of no3 membrane is going directly to the flow restrictor as normal

County Durham Lad

At the time I took that photo I didn't have the pump connected at all and the red pipe coming out of the pump was just spare hose I had to hand and in the pic it does look like that but the red pipe out of no3 membrane is going directly to the flow restrictor as normal

County Durham Lad

Hey presto 20180715_171916.jpg

County Durham Lad

Iron Giant

I think I will be on the phone first thing in the morning to order a brand new RO as it has got me totally beat down despite all the help from multiple people and @THL4KEL whose has been a diamond lending me a Di vessel for the second time in the last week which will have seen me completing 4 days work by the end of Tuesday otherwise I would have lost 4 days work

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant

doug atkinson

Take your pre-filters out and run the system. Don't think that has been tried it could be a filter that is a problem.

Iron Giant
Take your pre-filters out and run the system. Don't think that has been tried it could be a filter that is a problem.
Thanks very much Doug, not tried that one yet [emoji106][emoji38]

County Durham Lad

Iron Giant

Flowing like a river pure reading is 6ppm which is to be expected I guess with no pre filters. Thanks Doug your a legend

County Durham Lad

Iron Giant

I will organise a order for pre filters and leave the ro off until pre filters are replaced on Tuesday

County Durham Lad

doug atkinson

Out of interest what filters were they as may have been the wrong micron hence restricting pressure.

doug atkinson

Once the CFB Plus is exhausted it will cause pressure drop. Also if it has a crack in the filter I have known it to reduce the flow in the membrane.

You could try and put one filter at at time to see which was is the problem.

Iron Giant
19 hours ago, doug atkinson said:

Once the CFB Plus is exhausted it will cause pressure drop. Also if it has a crack in the filter I have known it to reduce the flow in the membrane.

You could try and put one filter at at time to see which was is the problem.

@doug atkinson Tried it just now sediment filter only good flow rate and tds of 8ppm, Carbon filter only slower flow than sediment tds 8ppm , No pre-filters at all tds 8ppm

After trying each pre filter separately I fitted both in and the slow production began all over again, So removed sediment filter as I have never had a issue with sediment at all and just ran carbon filter pure production reading is 8ppm. 

Edited by Iron Giant

Iron Giant

@spruce would happen to know what size flow restrictor i would need for my 450gpd ro as I think I may need one but can't find any specific info online 

spruce
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

@spruce would happen to know what size flow restrictor i would need for my 450gpd ro as I think I may need one but can't find any specific info online 

I would replace the restrictor with an inline tap that I could adjust to reduce the amount of water to waste. I'm sure that this will then help with your booster pump as not so much water is leaking away.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Guest-1-4-Speedfit-Water-Filter-Push-Fit-Tap-Connectors-Filter-Tubing-Blue/221592989884?hash=item3397f8b0bc%3Am%3AmtnkAUsTxx5bF32fk7ZPp7Q&var=520451983412&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F4"+john+guest+tap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

You would set this to a 50/50 waste to pure ratio and leave it. When flushing you use your existing flush valve.

We don't need a 3 to 1 waste restrictor in our part of the world. (When I changed my 75gpd membranes for 150gpd ones that I bought from RoMan 12 years ago, they supplied the inline restrictor. I don't know which one it was. I have also asked myself which restrictor it was tbh. There is no indication on the restrictor to identify it)

Edited by spruce

Iron Giant

I would replace the restrictor with an inline tap that I could adjust to reduce the amount of water to waste. I'm sure that this will then help with your booster pump as not so much water is leaking away.

Something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Guest-1-4-Speedfit-Water-Filter-Push-Fit-Tap-Connectors-Filter-Tubing-Blue/221592989884?hash=item3397f8b0bc%3Am%3AmtnkAUsTxx5bF32fk7ZPp7Q&var=520451983412&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F4"+john+guest+tap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

You would set this to a 50/50 waste to pure ratio and leave it. When flushing you use your existing flush valve.

We don't need a 3 to 1 waste restrictor in our part of the world. (When I changed my 75gpd membranes for 150gpd ones that I bought from RoMan 12 years ago, they supplied the inline restrictor. I don't know which one it was. I have also asked myself which restrictor it was tbh. There is no indication on the restrictor to identify it)

Thanks Spruce were would I place this on my RO and would it need in line connectors, I remember my first ro from purefreedom years ago and it had no flow restrictor at all just a flush valve.

County Durham Lad

Iron Giant

Just thinking surely I could just use the tap I have a I did a test like this last week with waste @ 60 and pure @ 40 as I am sure this how some suppliers set their up

County Durham Lad

spruce
16 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Thanks Spruce were would I place this on my RO and would it need in line connectors, I remember my first ro from purefreedom years ago and it had no flow restrictor at all just a flush valve.

County Durham Lad

I would remove the restrictor you have and replace it with this on/off tap.

Someone on the forum showed a photo of how his worked about a year ago.  @Dave Bmaybe?

spruce

If you looking on this video clip from 21.20 you will see what it looks like @Iron Giant

Look more closely from 22.25 as this is using a fully closing tap that you open sightly to set your flow ratio. Once set you never touch that tap. The other tap you open fully for flushing and close fully when producing water.

Iron Giant
If you looking on this video clip from 21.20 you will see what it looks like [mention=3115]Iron Giant[/mention]

Look more closely from 22.25 as this is using a fully closing tap that you open sightly to set your flow ratio. Once set you never touch that tap. The other tap you open fully for flushing and close fully when producing water.
Thanks Spruce you're a legend, I just need a tap valve to replace my restrictor

County Durham Lad

spruce
4 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

Thanks Spruce you're a legend, I just need a tap valve to replace my restrictor

County Durham Lad

Yes. That's what I would do. But you must make sure that the tap you are ordering will shut off completely. Those ones Gardiners sell have a hole that will let a certain amount of water pass when switched off. They work the same way as that restrictor does that you have already.

Edited by spruce

Iron Giant

Yes. That's what I would do. But you must make sure that the tap you are ordering will shut off completely. Those ones Gardiners sell have a hole that will let a certain amount of water pass when switched off. They work the same way as that restrictor does that you have already.
Ordered one from Gardiners already to get one ASAP [emoji24]. I will order the one off ebay you linked and will switch the flow restrictor when it lands.

County Durham Lad

spruce
14 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Ordered one from Gardiners already to get one ASAP emoji24.png. I will order the one off ebay you linked and will switch the flow restrictor when it lands.

County Durham Lad

Ops. I hope its a 1/4" for 1/4" John Guest pipe.

Den

I recently had problems with my RO after buying some membranes that didn’t perform to great also I renewed my flow restrictor as I thought that could have been at fault n my case it wasn’t the flow restrictor but was the membranes this is the flow restrictor for my 450gpd in pic below if that helps.

8F8223E1-051C-4245-A169-0846899C3E97.jpeg