Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help on Pricing Commercial Job

Probably do outside in an hour, 90 minutes at most. Internal clean would depend on where the stairs are, how many desks and where they're situated, but at a guesstimate would be circa 3 hours. Hourly rates are different around the country but I would be between £140 and £180 on a 2 monthly cycle.

Dear me those prices are cheap ide want £175 for the outside and a further £200 for the inside inside I bet will be a right pain , we do several nursing homes with a similar amount of glass to this building and they are £355 per visit that’s out side and the internal communal windows which would be a lot less than what’s in your pictures , I know prices are different over the country but that price seems way to cheap to me 

Dear me those prices are cheap ide want £175 for the outside and a further £200 for the inside inside I bet will be a right pain , we do several nursing homes with a similar amount of glass to this building and they are £355 per visit that’s out side and the internal communal windows which would be a lot less than what’s in your pictures , I know prices are different over the country but that price seems way to cheap to me 
But how long do you think it would take, I do an office block that has more glass in 80 minutes. On the basis that the job is between 3.5-4.5 hours then that reflects £40 an hour. If you can get £80 an hour in your area then well done you. 

But how long do you think it would take, I do an office block that has more glass in 80 minutes. On the basis that the job is between 3.5-4.5 hours then that reflects £40 an hour. If you can get £80 an hour in your area then well done you. 

The jobs I have mentioned takes two people around 2 hours 

The jobs I have mentioned takes two people around 2 hours 
I'm glad you can get £90 an hour, I do a nursing home that takes me 5 hours non stop for £175. There is a company called Housing 21, that have numerous homes that get them done for less than £20 an hour. At the end of the day if he can get between £40 and £50 an hour then he's not doing badly. 

I'm glad you can get £90 an hour, I do a nursing home that takes me 5 hours non stop for £175. There is a company called Housing 21, that have numerous homes that get them done for less than £20 an hour. At the end of the day if he can get between £40 and £50 an hour then he's not doing badly. 

I guess ime lucky then , I think some parts of the country do seam to be able to charge more , and people will pay it ,the company’s I do work for have had some right cowboys and they were big national firms doing a very poor job I charge 3x what they were doing the jobs for but they are happy to pay it as they expect a high standard and that’s what we give them , I must admit it took months of jumping through a lot of hoops to secure these contracts but been doing them for a number of years now , just had the contracts renewed for next year , I haven’t put up the prices for the last 5 years as I don’t want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg , but like all commercial work it can be lost at any time 

I had a Housing21 nursing home and they paid £400 for a days work. Three hours cleaning and another three hours talking and making sure the residents were happy with the clean. 

In the end someone I employed lost me the job but they do pay the right money when push comes to shove.

I had a Housing21 nursing home and they paid £400 for a days work. Three hours cleaning and another three hours talking and making sure the residents were happy with the clean. 

In the end someone I employed lost me the job but they do pay the right money when push comes to shove.
Not in the NE, a company called Lees do up here. I quoted on 2, the first 3 years ago which I estimated at 4 hours max. I quoted £120, the Manager called me in because the residents wanted a local to clean their windows and I lived a mile away. She showed me their price, £70, and said if you want the job just match the price, I declined. 

The other was 6 months ago, a huge new home, a year old. I estimated 10 hours and touch and go if you would do it on 1 650l tank of water. Thought with minimum wage going up I would have a chance at £300. Told the Manager my thoughts and his reply, that is substantially more than what we are paying. 

As has been said many times before, different areas different prices. 

Just counting up the glass there are 65 windows, pretty much standard size.
£150
Equates to £0.77p per window outside wfp.
£1.54 per window inside trad.
2 hours, easy, guaranteed regular work. Have my lunch and carry on with some residential
Have a site visit next week, so will find out what they have been paying.
It's in the Midlands area.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just counting up the glass there are 65 windows, pretty much standard size.
£150
Equates to £0.77p per window outside wfp.
£1.54 per window inside trad.
2 hours, easy, guaranteed regular work. Have my lunch and carry on with some residential
Have a site visit next week, so will find out what they have been paying.
It's in the Midlands area.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on.  

I guess ime lucky then , I think some parts of the country do seam to be able to charge more , and people will pay it ,the company’s I do work for have had some right cowboys and they were big national firms doing a very poor job I charge 3x what they were doing the jobs for but they are happy to pay it as they expect a high standard and that’s what we give them , I must admit it took months of jumping through a lot of hoops to secure these contracts but been doing them for a number of years now , just had the contracts renewed for next year , I haven’t put up the prices for the last 5 years as I don’t want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg , but like all commercial work it can be lost at any time 
Another point on pricing is how much do you need the work. If you're relatively full, or even full, and get an enquiry that is potentially large and potentially awkward, you wear a different hat then if you're actively looking for work. I assume that @TJTOPCATis a sole trader looking for work and therefore wants guiding towards a price where he has a damn good chance of getting it, and if he doesn't then the business was probably marginal anyway.

For example I am now getting to a point where I don't really want anymore window cleaning work around Cambridge, I am virtually struggling to do all I have in a week so anymore work would mean travelling down again and spending more time down there. So when I got an enquiry for a job which was 4 hours max I said £350, and got it. Last year when I wanted more work I would've been around the £200 - £250 mark. In the North East I would be around the £150 mark, and be delighted if I got it. 

I too have experienced exactly the same with housing 21 it's a joke. They do not give a monkeys just want a cheap price. Best I came across was a massive block flats they have cleaned from a cradle on the roof. Right next to me, so put in a cheap quote. I could not believe what they were getting it done for. Same again one of there homes at Hebburn. Manager showed me lees quote said could I beat it as they do a rubbish job. Not a chance. To many company's out there like this they just mess it up for every one doing jobs to pay wages of staff.

Maxim another one, how can some one how has never cleaned wondows in there life price window cleaning jobs. Yet they gained a council contract for window cleaning. Only to loss it the next year. In the mean time they have brought the cost of the contract down. And messed it for every one. There is no point being in business if your not making money. FFS.

Rant over.

Not in the NE, a company called Lees do up here. I quoted on 2, the first 3 years ago which I estimated at 4 hours max. I quoted £120, the Manager called me in because the residents wanted a local to clean their windows and I lived a mile away. She showed me their price, £70, and said if you want the job just match the price, I declined. 

The other was 6 months ago, a huge new home, a year old. I estimated 10 hours and touch and go if you would do it on 1 650l tank of water. Thought with minimum wage going up I would have a chance at £300. Told the Manager my thoughts and his reply, that is substantially more than what we are paying. 

As has been said many times before, different areas different prices. 

A very similar hoop I had to jump through i'm afraid. 

I had to go in and meet with all the residents and talk about how I plan to clean the windows ? They apparently leave the final decision in the hands of them. Thats all very well and good but you try telling a load of 70 and 80 year olds that leaving the windows wet is the best way to clean them ?

Not sure why Housing 21 do it this way tbh.

A very similar hoop I had to jump through i'm afraid. 

I had to go in and meet with all the residents and talk about how I plan to clean the windows ? They apparently leave the final decision in the hands of them. Thats all very well and good but you try telling a load of 70 and 80 year olds that leaving the windows wet is the best way to clean them ?

Not sure why Housing 21 do it this way tbh.
Because the residents pay the bills. They have a residents committee that look at all costs. As @phillipsaid you have idiots promising the world at unrealistic prices to people that have no idea about the reality of costings. 

I do a Care Home that is managed by Housing 21 staff, owned by another company, and they can't believe their windows are as clean as they are. Recommended to all Housing 21 Managers yet no work. 

Because the residents pay the bills. They have a residents committee that look at all costs. As @phillipsaid you have idiots promising the world at unrealistic prices to people that have no idea about the reality of costings. 

I do a Care Home that is managed by Housing 21 staff, owned by another company, and they can't believe their windows are as clean as they are. Recommended to all Housing 21 Managers yet no work. 

Sounds to me like the company arnt worh dealing with i would price the job at what i  I want to earn from it if they don’t want to pay that it’s fine walk away , if you are trying to build a round up concentrate on domestic you will probably earn a better rate that there stupid prices , good priced commercial is nice work but if you loose it it’s a big hit I lost a 20k+ Contract years ago and it was a sharp learning curve but if you loose a couple of houses it’s no big deal 

We all need to begin at £30 an hour minimum especially with Commercial. The £20 characters are a waste of time with employees using it as a stepping stone. After they win the contract they quickly lose it or go bust, no company can survive on £20 an hour unless they are paying their staff cash in hand. The minimum to survive is £30 an hour and probably £35 now the minimum wage has went up. We should all be starting at £30 to £35 an hour from now on and we will be helping each other by raising the price threshold. :1f44c:

As far as I'm aware all care homes managed by Housing 21 are put to the vote. The residents have the final say. I had one home that I cleaned for them for years. I put the price up every time it was put out for tender and I always got it back coz the residents liked me. However a new warden turned up, a bloke,. His best mate was a windy. The warden told a few lies about me missing Windows.  Got his mate the job at a lower rate. His mate had it for 2 years and then lost it. Now a national company are doing it. Probably for half what I was getting.  Some of the residents see me about and ask if I will come back as the present firm and ole matey boy before them are doing a poor job. I'm afraid that one has been ruined. Will never get the price back up. 

Sounds to me like the company arnt worh dealing with i would price the job at what i  I want to earn from it if they don’t want to pay that it’s fine walk away , if you are trying to build a round up concentrate on domestic you will probably earn a better rate that there stupid prices , good priced commercial is nice work but if you loose it it’s a big hit I lost a 20k+ Contract years ago and it was a sharp learning curve but if you loose a couple of houses it’s no big deal 
I don't chase the business but as I'm recommended when tenders come out I am asked to price up. It takes me an hour to price a job so not exactly time consuming, and I will continue to put in a price where I'm happy. Each scheme is run by a residents committee, one day I will find one that actually wants the job done to the specification on the tender, not at a price where it can't be done properly.

I don't chase the business but as I'm recommended when tenders come out I am asked to price up. It takes me an hour to price a job so not exactly time consuming, and I will continue to put in a price where I'm happy. Each scheme is run by a residents committee, one day I will find one that actually wants the job done to the specification on the tender, not at a price where it can't be done properly.
I used to tender for the same old housing 21 jobs every 3 years. Never got any of them. People don't like change. Better the devil you know( at least that's what they think)

Latest Posts

Back