Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Repetative topic posts

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Quite often we get repetitive posts on the same or almost identical topics.    This is not a problem or issue, however it does clog up the pages.  From time to time we 'clean house' and repetitive posts will get merged together to tidy up the 'walls' of the forum.  

Example is @HALTON recently posted a topic 'Get in' which turned out to be a cheer for England - We already have the 'World cup fever' topic so it got merged with that one.  

Sure it can be a lot easier to start a new topic than to browse a page or use the search function to see if there is a relevant thread in place already but as said above it just clogs up pages.  

When merged one of the posts headers will disappear. So if your post has vanished it is for one of two reasons - Either it is too similar and has been merged or it is of no relevance to the site or any of it's users so it has been deleted. 

If you find your post is missing do no start another post saying 'Where's my post?' Just PM me or Dave B or Gav and we'll let you know what happened.  Posts asking 'Where's my post are once again just clogging up the 'wall' 

@HALTON has not been singled out here just used as an example as his was the most recent case and I'm sure he wont mind me using him to illustrate this point.  Cheers.   

The only issue with a PM is the mods then need to spend more of the time (That's donated freely) to notifying each member. 

There is the option to leave a link to the original post but again this is something that will just clog up the wall with needless links. 

Now for the part that will get me yelled at.  Perspective poster could take a minute to see if a post warrants a new thread or if there's some existing thread they could add to instead?

Is there a way to tweak the topic bar on new threads to suggest similar threads @Gav so that if you type in something like "which pole" the most recent threads asking same question come up? Would mean less repeat threads.

The only issue with a PM is the mods then need to spend more of the time (That's donated freely) to notifying each member. 

There is the option to leave a link to the original post but again this is something that will just clog up the wall with needless links. 

Now for the part that will get me yelled at.  Perspective poster could take a minute to see if a post warrants a new thread or if there's some existing thread they could add to instead?

'The only issue with PM is the mods then need to spend more of the time to notifying each member'

Be a mod or don't be a mod. Choose to be a mod then be a mod. If you choose to be a mod don't complain about being a mod. Simples.

If this is the case it would be nice to be informed it has been moved or deleted by the mods via pm.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Our forum should send a notification to members of any actions on posts. If you have turned off notifications on the forum then you won't get them obviously.

Is there a way to tweak the topic bar on new threads to suggest similar threads @Gav so that if you type in something like "which pole" the most recent threads asking same question come up? Would mean less repeat threads.

I can certainly look into it. I would probably need to find an addon for the forum software to achieve this. Have come across one but is not ideal on mobile in the sense that the similar threads show under the post box so if someone is posting on mobile they are likely not to see the similar threads anyway. Will see what i can do.

'The only issue with PM is the mods then need to spend more of the time to notifying each member'

Be a mod or don't be a mod. Choose to be a mod then be a mod. If you choose to be a mod don't complain about being a mod. Simples.

What members don't see or often realise is that we on a daily basis are approving posts, moving posts, filtering spam and taking action on posts. We all have full-time jobs and just don't have the time too pm members about every action, that would be a full-time job in itself.

Anyhoo as mentioned the system should notify members of actions on their posts (if they have notifications turned on). 

Back