Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Take care in the heat all!

Incheck

Never thought it would happen (or that i’d be praying for it to cool down) but i collapsed on Thursday night after work guys. Over done it. Couldnt move an inch. Went to the doctors the next morning as i wasn’t fit to drive, and he said it was dehydration/heat exhaustion. So i lost a day making hay. Drink plenty of water, not pop! And just take it easy fellas, i never thought it was going to happen and had no warning but I literally turned to cabbage and was crawling around the house. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone so don’t over exert yourselves [emoji4]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Defiantly mate, I'm drinking 4-5 litres a day and still waking up in the middle of the night with a fast heartbeat thats pounding due to dehydration.

The sun is drying me out like washing on a line.

I have trouble drinking enough as I'm always needing a pee, but the last couple of days I thought sod it I'm just gonna have to start asking to use customers loo. They dont mind.

I start my morning with a litre of water straight down the hatch before my coffee at 6:30 and will drink another litre before work at 9:00. I take a 2 litre bottle with me to work and drink more after work.

Dont underestimate your water needs. Glad your ok Incheck.

We were working the other day in 32 degrees by 15.00 ide had enough and packed up and came home it was far to hot to work ????

E705B369-DD4A-441F-B404-7D40230116B7.jpeg

You have got to wear a hat, long sleeves and sun cream but not many remember these necessities.  
Yes mate long sleeves is a must especially if you’re a pale, and sun cream, always wear a cap as well. It’s going to drag on in to next week and we’ve got a lot booked so i’m dreading it tbh. At long last the rain is finally coming the week after...so they say...

I just looked up Heat Exhaustion Symptoms :- Confusion.

• Dark-colored urine (a sign of dehydration)
  • Dizziness.
  • Fainting.
  • Fatigue.
  • Headache.
  • Muscle or abdominal cramps.
  • Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea

We were working the other day in 32 degrees by 15.00 ide had enough and packed up and came home it was far to hot to work [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
View attachment 14267
I don’t blame you at all fella, it’s dragging on now. Best summer we’ve had in over a decade for sure. I can’t remember them being this good since my teenage years. Grass is burnt to a cinder. Mowed it a fortnight ago and it ain’t grown at all. We went to the beach for the day and spent a while in the sea, it was a dream. Rum & raisin ice cream went down a treat an all [emoji108]

Stitched myself up this week

Was working with a mate yesterday who said I had the symptoms of heatstroke/exhaustion yet I still worked all day 7am to 7pm on some big jobs 

Felt awful all day and had all the symptoms posted on here earlier 

Thought I would be better after a good sleep but have spent all last night and today feeling physically sick and dizzy 

Missed out on a bbq meet up with a few windie friends as I couldn't face a 2hr20min drive each way 

Feeling a bit better now but only when I am sat in the front room with a tower fan aimed at me

Ordered 2 fishing hats off amazon today

Would rather look stupid than feel like this 

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitched myself up this week
Was working with a mate yesterday who said I had the symptoms of heatstroke/exhaustion yet I still worked all day 7am to 7pm on some big jobs 
Felt awful all day and had all the symptoms posted on here earlier 
Thought I would be better after a good sleep but have spent all last night and today feeling physically sick and dizzy 
Feeling a bit better now but only when I am sat in the front room with a tower fan aimed at me
Ordered 2 fishing hats off amazon today
Would rather look stupid than feel like this 
Hope you get better soon Dave, it is a shock when it happens isn’t it. One minute you’re fine the next you feel very odd. I had all of the symptoms but no vomiting.
If you ever feel ill and have your doubts. the best thing to do is walk from your house to the end of the street and back again. If i do that and feel comfortable about it then i know i’m fit to drive. Otherwise it’s a day off.

We're a stubborn lot though ain't we

If I can make it to my first house i will be out until finished no matter what illness I have.. not always the best policy though 

But no hat in this weather for the last few weeks was just plain stupid 

Apart from sweating buckets I've been fine. Take 2l of squash that's been in the freezer overnight, shorts and t shirt, sunglasses for the glare and off I trot. Find a shady spot every 30 mins for a couple minutes respite and all is well. Can't stop eating though. Was the same when I was in the middle East, although I hate the heat, my body seems to be able to handle it, and I hardly ever burn, even without suncream.

Apart from sweating buckets I've been fine. Take 2l of squash that's been in the freezer overnight, shorts and t shirt, sunglasses for the glare and off I trot. Find a shady spot every 30 mins for a couple minutes respite and all is well. Can't stop eating though. Was the same when I was in the middle East, although I hate the heat, my body seems to be able to handle it, and I hardly ever burn, even without suncream.
Should know better anyway

Get sunburnt and you would get a bollocking 

I always, even in winter, keep hydrated. I always go out with at least a 2 litre bottle of blackcurrant squash in a cool bag. I worked down south 3 weeks ago and went through 10 litres in 2 and a half days. You also need to replenish your salts. Ignore what the Doctors say, without salt you'll die. So eat salt, be it with tomatoes or crisps. 

have a general rule that if it's above 26 i don't clean. i've only got about 130 customers so can get away with it i'm 3 days behind but it's no good to them if i'm off with sun stroke.

tip- cut some lemon up and put it in a 2 litre water bottle and keep topping the bottle up with water as you go through the day. lemon makes the water taste better.

you're a long time working fellas in this life, remember that.

Bad crack @Incheck & @Dave B good to hear you are both starting to feel a bit better, I wear a cap all day suncream applied 2-3 times a day and i drink a minimum of 4 litres of dilute at work and always have a packet of ready salted crisps.  

I just looked up Heat Exhaustion Symptoms :- Confusion.

• Dark-colored urine (a sign of dehydration)
  • Dizziness.
  • Fainting.
  • Fatigue.
  • Headache.
  • Muscle or abdominal cramps.
  • Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
In that case I think most of us get dehydrated regularly. I do drink a fair bit of water, more than most of my mates. As I don’t drink alcohol at all. I always take a pint glass of water to bed, drink it through the night & refill with breakfast, take 2x 600ml bottles with me to work etc etc  But Im still probably not drinking enough. 

Using 300-450ls a day, we should set the challenge drink as much as we use! Hahah.

I think we have to admit “It’s getting a bit too hot”

You MUST respect the sun! It can literally kill you if you're not careful. I cover myself in suncream on a morning, hat on, 2 litre bottle of diluted blackcurrant water, take breaks with AC blasting and I try to work shorter days sometimes working through my dinner to finish early. Thank God I'm not doing ladders no more in these conditions!

Agree with all comments. I drank nearly 5 litres of water during Friday. 

I only had to wee once, and that came out like egg nog ?

Us gingers are naturals in this heat ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another week of this we will have started acclimatising, I was lucky and got back from Greece as it started getting hot. I've found I'm not needing to drink as much as I was 2weeks ago. When I was in Afghanistan I was drink 20+ litres of water a day for first few weeks, then it dropped to 8l a day after the first 4-5 weeks.that was in 50+degree heat though

Another week of this we will have started acclimatising, I was lucky and got back from Greece as it started getting hot. I've found I'm not needing to drink as much as I was 2weeks ago. When I was in Afghanistan I was drink 20+ litres of water a day for first few weeks, then it dropped to 8l a day after the first 4-5 weeks.that was in 50+degree heat though
Know what your saying. I got back from Portugal last Friday and it’s hotter here ?

Back