Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Black lichen spots won’t shift

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dazzer

Hi All

So yesterday I cleaned a sandstone patio that was pretty covered in black lichen spots

First thing I did was to power wash with turbo nozzle to get the worst of it off which came up okay 

Then i applied a 15% hypo  mix at 4% with surfactant to the wet surface and scrubbed it around and left for about an hour before rinsein off!

When it dried abit it was still pretty much still there which made me think I should I used a stronger mix!

So i made up a small amount of 8% mix to try on a few slabs scrubbed again left for an hour then rinsed off.

Still wouldn’t shift it all so not happy with the end result and the customer too!

Is there anything else I can do or should I have done it a different way?

Any help on this would be much appreciated thanks.

Daz

Hi 

I have 18lpm which should be enough for the job, was going to use the fsc but the mortor joints were old so decided not to!

Daz

Yeah. I've done drives where the bricks have black specs through the brick.. The drive doesn't look great when they have these bricks after the clean.. 

Hi All

So yesterday I cleaned a sandstone patio that was pretty covered in black lichen spots

First thing I did was to power wash with turbo nozzle to get the worst of it off which came up okay 

Then i applied a 15% hypo  mix at 4% with surfactant to the wet surface and scrubbed it around and left for about an hour before rinsein off!

When it dried abit it was still pretty much still there which made me think I should I used a stronger mix!

So i made up a small amount of 8% mix to try on a few slabs scrubbed again left for an hour then rinsed off.

Still wouldn’t shift it all so not happy with the end result and the customer too!

Is there anything else I can do or should I have done it a different way?

Any help on this would be much appreciated thanks.

Daz
Did you keep the floor wet for the whole hour?

When it is this hot you need to keep spraying it a little now and again to keep the surface wet as dry hypo will do nothing

If you PW a patio and still have black lichen then a bucket of neat hypo and a deck scrubber. Then scrub away till your heart's content. Check after 30mins and if its still there then it's probably paint. :1f602:

Got my first knockback from a Patio cleaning job. Big Indian sandstone patio with some steps up to grass area. Half surrounded by whitewashed walls that had just been painted. She said on the phone there was no lichen on it and then I pointed out all the black lichen on every slab. I quoted 500 for softwashing and 300 to pressure wash it. They preferred the pressure washing even thou they knew it would not remove the black lichen. I knew he was a retired lawyer and she was a know all bar black lichen. I didn't want the job because I would have needed to leave a perfect job, so I went in high saying it would take me two days. First day to do it and second day to catch any bits I had missed or receive a lawyers letter.

Doing a nice wee softwashing job tomorrow on buff slabs with plenty of black lichen. Going to make the mix half and half and give it a gentle scrub. Will confirm the results tomorrow after I have finished.

Just hose down the patio with the garden hose and then hit the patio with half and half and some surfactant. After  45mins I went to check the black lichen which was still there. I then spot treated with neat bleach a few times and scrubbed in. Very difficult to fully remove it. Then after another 30mins I attacked the patio with the turbo nozzle. Most of the black lichen came off but bits at the edge of slabs is near impossible. In the end I am very happy with it, its a neighbor and she is over the moon with it and got another two to do as a result.

2nd 1.jpg

1st 1.jpg

Just hose down the patio with the garden hose and then hit the patio with half and half and some surfactant. After  45mins I went to check the black lichen which was still there. I then spot treated with neat bleach a few times and scrubbed in. Very difficult to fully remove it. Then after another 30mins I attacked the patio with the turbo nozzle. Most of the black lichen came off but bits at the edge of slabs is near impossible. In the end I am very happy with it, its a neighbor and she is over the moon with it and got another two to do as a result.
View attachment 14483
View attachment 14484
[emoji106][emoji106]looks good.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back