Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

yellowing of upvc sills

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris70

Can anyone tell me what causes yellowing of upvc frames please would it be anything to do with the hot weather 

Cheers guys is there anything out there to remove the yellowing back to white

There are a variety of products that claim to restore plastics but we generaly dont do that so dont have personal experience of these products but UPVC solvent or a cream cleaner like ciff may help , we generaly suggest that the customer gets it replaced as usualy it will go like it again so they are better off spending money replacing rather than trying to restore it , I carry a tub of this stuff on the van it’s ok but I wouldn’t rave about it 

473CC104-4DA1-4B07-9AD0-91AC2876A08B.jpeg

There are a variety of products that claim to restore plastics but we generaly dont do that so dont have personal experience of these products but UPVC solvent or a cream cleaner like ciff may help , we generaly suggest that the customer gets it replaced as usualy it will go like it again so they are better off spending money replacing rather than trying to restore it , I carry a tub of this stuff on the van it’s ok but I wouldn’t rave about it 

View attachment 14305
Thanks for ya help mate maybe invest in this and see if it works 

What he said ^ also unger rub out is very very good, if that doesn’t get any marks off, then they aren’t coming off. I quoted an FSG on a large bungalow last week, if the plastic was salvageable the job would’ve been a good earner, but the plastic was heavily degraded and had tiger stripes all over it and had turned a deep battleship grey colour pretty much everywhere. I did a few test patches with unger rub out & degreaser/magic sponge also. No luck whatsoever. I told the custy they should replace the lot as it wasn’t salvageable.

My mrs sills are orange/yellow ish, nothing & i mean nothing i’ve tried will ever bring it to whiten. I reckon its naff plastic.
If in doubt always do a test patch, as if you take on the job and it dont look how you want it to at the end and you’re charging for it then you’re in a bit of a predicament

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I had some unusual small areas of yellowing on my white upvc windows. I tried the upvc cream cleaner which cleaned but did not change the yellowing. A wipe with acetone restored the white, and a polish with Novus plastic polisher brought back the gloss.

Back