Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Eating Resin! Could someone advise please?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

KenBoon

Hi Guys!

I'm hoping you can help me out please.

I've got Unger nLite HydroPower™ 6LDI Filter System - that I use to purify my water and I'm using the Unger resin. At the Tap I'm just over 400ppm ? I'm literally getting about 12 barrels of water out of the resin before it hits 5ppm (my limit) before I change it.

Any suggestions to reduce this cost would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Ken

I've just found a calculator online, and it's not far off ?  I'm wondering if I could reuse the Unger bags with bulk bough resin? They only have Cable Ties on the top?

I've not long started using a Pole Fed system - so this is all very new to me. I'm probably using too much water per house too....

Any input would be great!

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Ken

Yup, definitely an RO needed. My tap water is the same ppm so have to use one or as you have found its pretty much a case of using as much resin as water! As a side note, I thought id check the ppm of our drinking water before and after our brita filter, dropped it down to 180ppm. So even the pre-filters on an RO would make a difference I reckon.

Any recomendations on what I should buy please? I don't want to spend mega money really! A friend suggested I get some water butts and run rain water through?

Thanks so much again for the input!

Regards,

Ken

I'm sure someone with experience will come and give you a proper answer soon. But the main thing for us to know is how often and how much water are you using? I assume you're also storing the water rather than producing on demand?

I'm sure someone with experience will come and give you a proper answer soon. But the main thing for us to know is how often and how much water are you using? I assume you're also storing the water rather than producing on demand?
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the post.

I run it through the resin at home and put it in to 25 litre drums and use it in my trolley system. I reckon on average I use about 15 litres per clean..... I've not long started out and a lot of them are first cleans.

Thanks once again for all the input.

Kind Regards,

Ken

As per @Robt100; how much water do you use a day and how much will you envisage using a few years down the road?

In other words, what are you future grow expectations?

Have you got a place to store water? Lower output r/os are less costly but they take longer to produce the required amount of water, so being able to produce water at home when you are out working is ideal. Have you considered buying water in to begin with until you get established?

Being on a budget is an important consideration, but it can also be your achilles heel. If the r/o isn't supplying you sufficient water to complete the days work, then you are throttling your business growth. This is a spiral to nowhere as you can't earn sufficient and you can't afford to grow.

When the lads each had a van, we fitted 500 liter tanks to them because this gave them a little extra spare if they needed it. Most days they used between 350 and 400 liters.

When choosing an r/o the Roman type r/o's have worked well for us.

Before you start you need a water pressure gauge to test your water pressure. Screwfix sell them but you could find them cheaper on Ebay.

The smallest r/o you should consider thinking about future growth for a single operator is a 300gpd. 450gpd is better.

At first you could process water into a couple of water butts, but I expect you can find a clean, hardly used 1000 liter IBC tank. Whilst it might be slightly more expensive, it will future proof your future water storage needs.

You will need a transfer pump, some hose and a few more 25 liter plastic containers.

You need an RO. I don't use one as my tds is around 70. @spruce or @doug atkinson are the ro experts on here. You'll need a IBC container and transfer pump as well.
You managed to say the same as I did but in a few words. ?

Thanks so much for all for your responses and the time in taking to do so.

A brief background of myself.  I've been in business (online) for over 10 years and I still am trading on Ebay, Amazon and on my own online shop. I sell Ink Cartridges online! It's getting to the point now because of competition from the far east and other factors -  that it's not making me a great living anymore. I still have a mortgage and have a 5 year old and my mrs only works part time. I work at my local Village Hall as  Caretaker too part time too.

I've been offering my services for free for a while to learn my trade so to speak with friends and family. I started advertising about 3 weeks ago and I'm gaining about 5 customers a week ATM which I'm chuffed to bits with. My aim was a couple a week. All have given me positive feedback too. I'm wanting to do things properly and I'm really enjoying it to be honest!

Thanks so much again guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recomendations on what I should buy please? I don't want to spend mega money really! A friend suggested I get some water butts and run rain water through?

Thanks so much again for the input!

Regards,

Ken
Gonna struggle with rain water mate, it hasn't rained here in weeks.

I bought a second 450gpd years ago and its still going strong, you need a booster too though.

Thanks so much for all for your responses and the time in taking to do so.

A brief background of myself.  I've been in business (online) for over 10 years and I still am trading on Ebay, Amazon and on my own online shop. I sell Ink Cartridges online! It's getting to the point now because of competition from the far east and other factors -  that it's not making me a great living anymore. I still have a mortgage and have a 5 year old and my mrs only works part time. I work at my local Village Hall as  Caretaker too part time too.

I've been offering my services for free for a while to learn my trade so to speak with friends and family. I started advertising about 3 weeks ago and I'm gaining about 5 customers a week ATM which I'm chuffed to bits with. My aim was a couple a week. All have given me positive feedback too. I'm wanting to do things properly and I'm really enjoying it to be honest!

Thanks so much again guys!
The best of luck mate, and as you probably already know...you get out what you put in.

Do the best quality work you can and customers will be drawn to you, then do the best quality work you can as fast as you can and you'll be making good money.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the input!

I've since bought a RO kit and I've got it down to 26PPM ? I'm storing that in a Butt and then I'm running it through resin. I've also bought a Uni Valve. That's been a great help too!

Thanks so much for your help! It's really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ken

Hi guys!

Thanks for the input!

I've since bought a RO kit and I've got it down to 26PPM ? I'm storing that in a Butt and then I'm running it through resin. I've also bought a Uni Valve. That's been a great help too!

Thanks so much for your help! It's really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ken
We failed to answer one of your earlier questions regarding resin, sorry. If you can open those Unger resin bags, you can refill them with any resin you want.

We have had good success with Tulsion MB115. You might have to fill the old bag with new resin cautiously until you get the right amount. I don't know how much 'wriggle room' you have inside the container if you overfill the bag with resin. If you do you might have to take some out - easy enough.

We failed to answer one of your earlier questions regarding resin, sorry. If you can open those Unger resin bags, you can refill them with any resin you want.

We have had good success with Tulsion MB115. You might have to fill the old bag with new resin cautiously until you get the right amount. I don't know how much 'wriggle room' you have inside the container if you overfill the bag with resin. If you do you might have to take some out - easy enough.
Thanks Spruce! I thought that may be the case. I'll buy the Unger resin loose again next time! Thanks for the reply!

Back