Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner and Uni valve helped needed please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mr Clean

Hello everyone, hope you are all well. HELP!!! HELP!!ADVICE!!!RECOMMENDATIONS!!! WALK THROUGH!!

I hope to get some advice please, I am not the best at DIY yet with window cleaning products. I have a few questions and issues that I need urgent help with.

1) Uni Valve - It was working fine bu I changed my pole hose and now the end that you tug on without tugging on it, it seeps water and gets worse. I have crimmped the o ring tight too and it still leaks. I put another new hose on and it still does the same thing, I am doing what I did first time round exactly but have this leak and it does leak noticable out the bottom of the pole.  Any ideas why? could i have damaged the uni valve part that the hose pushes over ? or what can i use to maybe fix this? Would plummer tape work? I just dont get why it leaks water when before it was fine.

2) Pole hose - I use just the 5mm black pole hose facelift but I was thinking of getting the Replacement Hose Pack with Fittings - Flexible Reinforced Yellow PVC

one from gardiners the 5mm  one again as I am used to this. Q: I am buying the correct male EZ Snap™ Male Plug - Pole Hose - 5mm Barb this is the right size to fit the 5mm hose yes? this is the part that goes in to the Female ez snap connector on the end of the gardiner back hose you get already fitted.   Q: What O RING would I need to fit over the 5mm hose to tighten it to the male ez snap connector?

3) What size oring do I get to fit over my 5mm hose to tighten up over the uni valve puller part  that is inside the pole.

4) Is a 30m hose length ok to use with gardiner back pack and with uni valve, I think it is but wanted to see what anoyone else used? Also if anyone uses the back pack and uni valve what connection listing do you use and would you recommend?

If anyone can help me thats great, just unsure what sizes i need and connections for 5mm pole hose?

Thank you inadvance for reading and to anyone that can help me out. First time I am replacing things so bit new to this replacement lark. The fitting on the end of the orange hose that comes out the back pack i need to change the EZ SNAP to and thats going to be missions for me lol.

Thanks again take care ?

I can partially help you. I am currently using the reinforced pole hose and it's very good although gardiner don't recommend using it with a uni valve as the hose could balloon. As for the leaking and o clip question, it could be linked. You're looking for 7-9 o clips but search for double eared oetiker clips as the single ones from gardiner always made it leak for me.

Hi James Bond, thanks for taking time to reply. So for the univalve the 0 rings are 7-9 and is that the same for fitting over EZ Snap™ Male Plug - Pole Hose - 5mm Barb ???

I think I might stick witht the pole hose and just trim it off the black hose I have already as its not old and just get new O RINGS in that size and get the proper crimping tool, some plumer tape of the uni valve puller part for extra fit maybe that might work.

I was going to buy the 30m yellow hose but I wont not sure what hose i can buy now, the black one ok, but can only buy it in 100m on WCW dont need that much, no where else sells it.

Just not sure why its leaking tbh I am doing what i did when I set it up first time.Unless I am not crimping it correct as I realised the o rings have a tool and the side bits need to be be crushed (crimped right in)  I use a plier over the whole thing. and try to crush the sides a bit.

Thank you very much

Yes anything that 5mm pole hose fits onto use 7-9 o clips. Buying the correct tool should be your first stop and very likely why you're leaking as the clips need to be completely tightened

Double eared O Clips can be bought off amazon if you don't have anywhere local to you I just double check sizes against the info on Gardiners website

County Durham Lad

Thank you guys. You may be right, using a plier i only clamp it the univalve the cripping tool which I have just ordered actually crushes the side bits that tick out which closes the rings fully tight, so it maybe this that is not making the hose tight, as the 5mm hose over a 6mm male tail connector it should be fine but its not. so I think its this and have ordered new hose and orings too. If  not i may have damaged the ui valve end that the hose goes over but i dont think i have as it looks fine, the plummer tape should sort that if it is.

I wish I was better at DIY on stuff like this lol, need a local chap thats good at fitting things and can help me get the best set up for my pole system and back pack and fit it for me, anyone in north kent???? lol. Few beers etc..

Thanks again for your help guys. much appriciated. All the best!

Have you tried PU pole hose. Since I've used it (Gardiner's Green PU) I haven't needed to use 'o' clips as the hose grips tight enough without them. I don't get leaks either.

I found my univalve was leaking ..not a massive amount but enough...it was actually coming out the valve inside the main body of the unit. I fixed mine temporarily with ptfe tape, but if you’ve not had it long I would contact the supplier

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Spruce - Thank you, thats good to know, I will get some of that blue hose, is it heavier than the standard faclift black hose i get or the normal yellow ones ?  Hope its not to hard to coil or heavier? But yes it says on there its a more specific hose.

Thanks for the reply.

GASKET- Thanks, how did you fix the mian body of uni valve.???  MIne seems to coe out the hose and goes up to the univalue looks like its comign otu the ini valve when it builds up but it does spirt out the hose end.  It coems down on to the flooe from the base of my pole, not loads but enough to make a small puddle, its less then if i did not have the faciality to shut the water off but enough to say hey I dont want this leak.  I am hopign its the O RINGS and not tightening them with a O RING crimpper as i using pliers and pushign down on the top of it logically the ears will crush and make the whole ring close in more around the hose, so hoping its this.

Also  I have no chance at all getting any help form exceed unless they take pitty on me if it is the uni valve in some way, i only bene using is a few months as i brought it but it would not fit in my pole as had the extention ft pheonix pole so sould not fit in the pole, got a new pole and started using it a year later nearly, no one going to belive me if it is the uni valve. I can try, they seem good at exceed.

Anyway thank you for your replies very kind of you to help. I will update you, I wish i was more practical at fitting things together lol, somthign I am going to try at getting better at. Or find a window cleaner in kent thats close to me that will take some beers for helping fit some fitting together :)

Spruce - Thank you, thats good to know, I will get some of that blue hose, is it heavier than the standard faclift black hose i get or the normal yellow ones ?  Hope its not to hard to coil or heavier? But yes it says on there its a more specific hose.

Thanks for the reply.

GASKET- Thanks, how did you fix the mian body of uni valve.???  MIne seems to coe out the hose and goes up to the univalue looks like its comign otu the ini valve when it builds up but it does spirt out the hose end.  It coems down on to the flooe from the base of my pole, not loads but enough to make a small puddle, its less then if i did not have the faciality to shut the water off but enough to say hey I dont want this leak.  I am hopign its the O RINGS and not tightening them with a O RING crimpper as i using pliers and pushign down on the top of it logically the ears will crush and make the whole ring close in more around the hose, so hoping its this.

Also  I have no chance at all getting any help form exceed unless they take pitty on me if it is the uni valve in some way, i only bene using is a few months as i brought it but it would not fit in my pole as had the extention ft pheonix pole so sould not fit in the pole, got a new pole and started using it a year later nearly, no one going to belive me if it is the uni valve. I can try, they seem good at exceed.

Anyway thank you for your replies very kind of you to help. I will update you, I wish i was more practical at fitting things together lol, somthign I am going to try at getting better at. Or find a window cleaner in kent thats close to me that will take some beers for helping fit some fitting together ?

If you get this hose from Exceed you will find that it does coil up and can 'birds nest' at the bottom of the pole when extending the pole. It also doesn't lay completely flat as a more soft, flexible hose would do. It needs to be stiff so as not to stretch when pulling on it to activate the Univalve.

We spend a few moments flicking or spinning the coil out before extending the pole. On my 40' pole I lay the pole down and walk away with the end and twist the coil out that way. It takes a few moments but does save the frustration later. If using the pole for extended periods of time you also may find yourself recoiling your hose by the very nature of the way you work.

I don't think there is the perfect pole hose to use with a Univalve, but is there a perfect pole hose?

To identify where the leak was coming from I took the pole hose out the pole so I could see univalve put water through , shut the the supply off with the univalve , then left it under pressure horizontal but off the ground so I could see whether it was dripping from top hose , bottom hose , or inside the valve. Opening the univalve was a case of pressing the two plastic lugs in and pulling the body apart. That where the o ring is situated and my leak was from. Mine was fairly new so I should really have got an exchange rather than void the warranty opening it up

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

To identify where the leak was coming from I took the pole hose out the pole so I could see univalve put water through , shut the the supply off with the univalve , then left it under pressure horizontal but off the ground so I could see whether it was dripping from top hose , bottom hose , or inside the valve. Opening the univalve was a case of pressing the two plastic lugs in and pulling the body apart. That where the o ring is situated and my leak was from. Mine was fairly new so I should really have got an exchange rather than void the warranty opening it up

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Hi so the leak was inside the uni valve and not fixable? Is there an ORing inside the univalve? I have my stuff arriving in hour so i am going to fit as per the videos and see if works it should do as did before i have the correct or ring pinchers now to. If it does leak then it maybe the uni valve ill do what you did take out pole and tug to off and see where water comes from. I take it opening it up is ok and it goes back on ok? Hope ti works, new pole hose new orings new clamper. ? i dont no how it could break the uni valve when it was working fine i only took it out the pole, lets hope its not.

I have to use 2 o clips on the higher pressure side of the Univalve or mine leaks water as well. Also I find the double eared ones are worse, I imagine the water gets past where the gaps are at the ears. The best ones to get I find are the single ear ones with the little metal inserts inside them. 

Aqua, I will try thise clips.  Update!!!!!!  I put a new hose on and used new ORings and the proper clamping tool and it is workign fine now, i think it was where i was not crushing the ears on oring enough as was sing pliers across the top, so must have not been tight enough all way round hose. Thanks for the help.  Always use the correct tools I have learnt. I added some plummer tape round the uni valve puller part to then the hose over it to add some extra tightness ? Thanks for the tips all.

Back