Jump to content
Applepicker

Unblocking downpipe

Recommended Posts

Applepicker

Found it hard to get to this downpipe.  What's the best way to get up corners of houses and also when I tried to pull the elbow down the fascia board came down a bit.  It was obvious knackered and the wood rotten but still embarrassing to have to explain this to customer. I then used a drill to undo brackets on wall, should I have just done this from the beginning? 

DSC_0970.JPG

Edited by Applepicker

Share this post


Link to post
Incheck

I think you landed yourself a pickle job there. First thing i would do is get the wfp up there and run water through it to check its running. If it isnt, either pass the job on to someone with a cherry picker or simply tell them its inaccessible and they need a scaffold up.
some roofers would get up on the roof and do it but they shouldnt feel obligated to as it is dangerous. This is what happens when they are fitted in ridiculous places.
No point risking life & limb over a blocked downpipe. Would rather lose the work and keep my health....theres always an easier job waiting. And when you end up damaging or dislodging things in the process it leaves you in a predicament then.
I tend to go by the motto “if it looks awkward, it is awkward, if i can’t do, i can’t do”
Sometimes we don’t think jobs through before taking them on, i’m a bit more careful now than i used to be but it comes with experience


Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post


Part Timer
2 minutes ago, Applepicker said:

Do they go on corners?  This is my v shaped one on that corner.  The rubber isn't touching the brick

DSC_0967.JPG

Same as mine, just did a quick Google for the one I posted 

Share this post


Link to post
Incheck

Yes they do but they’re not the best in my opinion, the ladder can swing left or right if you put too much weight on one side. unless you’ve got someone footing the bottom of the ladder i wouldn’t even bother trying. A second man is key when it comes to ladders. The risks people take going up them alone to do gutters you may as well not bother and stick to windows/pressure washing etc. best thing to do if in doubts about taking the job on, is wfp above all downpipes, if theyre all running you know its just a gutter vac job and happy days easy gutter clearance


Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
CM Cleaning Services

This is my go to tool for gutters , as long as customer has good tap pressure just rest it inside the downpipe and let it blast away blockages ...... Works 90% the time without needing to remove parts 1064313_R_Z001A_UC1439765.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Applepicker
5 hours ago, CM Cleaning Services said:

 

5 hours ago, CM Cleaning Services said:

This is my go to tool for gutters , as long as customer has good tap pressure just rest it inside the downpipe and let it blast away blockages ...... Works 90% the time without needing to remove parts 1064313_R_Z001A_UC1439765.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
 

What's it called so I can order one? Thxs

Edited by Applepicker

Share this post


Link to post
CM Cleaning Services
Applepicker


Pjj

We generally manage to suck out the obstruction with the vac by breaking it up with a combination of the vac and Gardiners gutter spike tool works 99% of the time , another trick is the chimney sweeps fibreglass sweeping rods on a continuous reel if you have an open bottom to the down pipe you can push it up the downpipes from the bottom and it will go round most bends as it’s only the thickness of a pencil works very well especially for 3+ storey jobs where a ladder isn’t an option many buildings now have a access port in the bottom of the downpipes for this very reason 

Share this post


Link to post
CM Cleaning Services
Do you stick this down the top or bottom of downpipe? 
From the top nearest the bends and just blast away any blockages :)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Applepicker
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

We generally manage to suck out the obstruction with the vac by breaking it up with a combination of the vac and Gardiners gutter spike tool works 99% of the time , another trick is the chimney sweeps fibreglass sweeping rods on a continuous reel if you have an open bottom to the down pipe you can push it up the downpipes from the bottom and it will go round most bends as it’s only the thickness of a pencil works very well especially for 3+ storey jobs where a ladder isn’t an option many buildings now have a access port in the bottom of the downpipes for this very reason 

How about these? 

Screenshot_20180713-224120.png

Share this post


Link to post
THL4KEL

Looking at that pipe I would put water in the top gutter. Put a drain snake auger up it, try and loosen it, then jam a rag at the bottom of the pipe and stick the gutter vac directly on the top of the downpipe, leaving the water running into it. If that did not work I would fit a smaller tube to the pole and stick it down the down pipe and suck it out.

 

If that did not work i'd put a hose pipe up the down pipe and turn it on full blast and get the vac on the top again.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
49 minutes ago, Applepicker said:

How about these? 

Screenshot_20180713-224120.png

 

 

 

No they are to thick and not flexible enough I’ll try and put up a picture of it 

53 minutes ago, Applepicker said:

How about these? 

Screenshot_20180713-224120.png

 

 

 

This is what works well we use it quite quite a bit and it’s very good it’s a lot thinner and more flexible that rods 

27A25646-EEC0-465A-9F2C-A3E50D0D1696.png

Share this post


Link to post
Applepicker
15 minutes ago, Pjj said:

 

 

 

No they are to thick and not flexible enough I’ll try and put up a picture of it 

 

 

 

This is what works well we use it quite quite a bit and it’s very good it’s a lot thinner and more flexible that rods 

27A25646-EEC0-465A-9F2C-A3E50D0D1696.png

Cool.  Will give the company a call.  Found a similar one here

 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker-25ft-7-6m/11325

Share this post


Link to post
THL4KEL
Applepicker

If however you can get up on a ladder and pull it apart is it best to unscrew the wall brackets from the bottom with a drill and take it apart or just pull top bit down like I did? 

Share this post


Link to post


Applepicker

Bought these two for £40 from plumbers shop today. 

15315733771641722339250.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
tench0771

i use a hover pipe in my vac its a lot finer than a standerd nosel attachment and it goes strate down the pipe and unblocks them i then use a old wfp pole with the reper shot attached to the end pointing down to flush them to make shore there unblocked and running free i very rearly use a ladder these days to do gutters 

Share this post


Link to post
Applepicker
On 17/07/2018 at 20:51, tench0771 said:

i use a hover pipe in my vac its a lot finer than a standerd nosel attachment and it goes strate down the pipe and unblocks them i then use a old wfp pole with the reper shot attached to the end pointing down to flush them to make shore there unblocked and running free i very rearly use a ladder these days to do gutters 

Interesting.  Wouldn't that just send all the **** down the drain and block it? 

 

U got a photo or link 

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service

I was watching a Drain Mob clear a blocked drain with a high pressure hose. Got me thinking regarding my PW. You could use that for clearing blockages I guess only the height would be the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
1 hour ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I was watching a Drain Mob clear a blocked drain with a high pressure hose. Got me thinking regarding my PW. You could use that for clearing blockages I guess only the height would be the problem.

Lol if you stick your pressure washer up the downpipes it will send it into orbit 😂😂😂.   No you are right it will clear it but generaly makes hell of a mess 

Share this post


Link to post


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.