Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Self cleaning glass roof

Pjj

Premium Member
This is a job we did today the roof is self cleaning glass I know some say that it’s difficult to clean and rinse this type of glass it took 1.5 hours to do that included the guttering behind the roof and that on the end of the house that overhangs it , also the temperature was 26 so this didn’t help but end results I think look ok 

EB03BC8D-2D7A-4951-B236-097EE87D3390.jpeg

Looks fantastic, from that distance!

Its only when you get up close can you see the real finish. If the sun was shining on it then it gets harder, I love it when the sky's full of clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty quick...just you?

I've used TFR on self cleaning glass with no problem.

Self cleaning glass looks brand new when its been cleaned anyway.... Also Virosol or basically any other TFR shouldn't be used on self cleaning glass!
I’ve been using a diluted mix of virosol on self cleaning glass for years without a single issue.

Know many others who do the same

I have a customer with a self cleaning glass atrium roof that gets cleaned every month with the windows. I used to use hot water with a stiff sill brush, all fine at a glance, but on closer inspection the brush has scratched the self cleaning layer on the glass. I now use a medium brush. 

I’ve been using a diluted mix of virosol on self cleaning glass for years without a single issue.

Know many others who do the same

I've used virisol, tfr and ubik 2000 on self cleaning glass and never had any problems. ??

Yeah it would appear a lot of people do.... Each to their own I guess. Not worth the hassle if you ask me. I've always found that self cleaning glass comes up clean really easily. Realistically no ones public liability is going to cover them if the film starts to come away. I've used the example before but I have a customer who has self cleaning glass that has been damaged by a trad windy using fairy liquid on it.

It'll be dirty again in a week and custy will be bemoaning splashing out £150 to have had it cleaned ?
Probably too busy moaning about why they paid a fortune for self cleaning glass that doesn't work haha ?

What did you use @Pjj to clean the self-cleaning glass? Your old favorite virosol. It looks brand new from the photo.

Yes virosol every time I know some say you shouldn’t use it on self cleaning glass we have done hundreds of jobs like this never had a problem I think some don’t dilute it enough then it might be an issue 

That was pretty quick...just you?

I've used TFR on self cleaning glass with no problem.

I did the conservatory and my mate did the house 

It'll be dirty again in a week and custy will be bemoaning splashing out £150 to have had it cleaned ?

We do it it several times a year and inside once a year ????

Back