Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

new starter advice please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jules5943

Hi everyone, I would be really grateful for your advice please, 

looking seriously into starting up part time window cleaning.  Looking at eventually 40 houses a week, what would my best set up be?

Will be using my Nissan note as transport.

Want the cheapest wfp option for 2-3bed houses.

I also need to be able to produce my own pure water unless anyone knows of suppliers in the Norwich/Great Yarmouth area. I’m a bit confused with the di or ro filter systems. I understand ro is more efficient but to see how things go I wanted a cheaper initial outlay which I could upgrade later if it all works out. 

Can I just use a di vessel?

have about £500 budget

many thanks for your knowledge and kindness in advance

jules

Welcome to the forum!!!

First thing you need to do is get a TDs meter from a decent supplier, avoid the cheap ones from eBay, cost around £20. If you TDs is under 100 Di will be fine, over that and you'll go through resin quickly and an ro long term is a better option.

Wfp can be done for 500 but it's tight. I managed it for 450ish, Di only. All my gear was from the cleaning warehouse, all solid gear and good quality. I got...

Water genie barracuda pole (27ft is 170+vat)

Water genie backpack 85ish + vat

11l Di vessel £102 + vat

4x 25l container's £6 each.

TDs meter £20

Rectus fitting £15ish.

This was 2 1/2 years ago so may have gone up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow well done. That’s good budgeting @Clisty1989

Also other things to think about @Jules5943 is: liability insurance, if you’re using a car then you should let your normal insurance know as well, and getting some business cards/leaflets made up. Also get some glass polishing microfibre cloths from any official window cleaning website (just get £10’s worth) I do everything with the pole but still need to wipe the odd window or door. 

also, would you be offering internal cleans? If so, you’ll need a little traditional kit. All the best ?

Also, if you do need a R.O filter system, then the cheapest ones are £150/£180ish (new that is)

I bought one I’m very pleased with for £350 2 years ago, cheap to run and it’s a 600gpd one. Long term you want one that’ll make you enough water, so can be false economy if you buy the smallest/cheapest one and 9 months down the line you have loads of work but can’t make enough water. But being part time you should be ok. 

Get on eBay, there is always someone selling a used set-up. There's some on there now.

I would consider taking out a small loan and just setting up properly, it'll pay for itself in no time, you'll only have to sell your initial set-up to upgrade at some point anyhow.

Welcome to the forum!!!

First thing you need to do is get a TDs meter from a decent supplier, avoid the cheap ones from eBay, cost around £20. If you TDs is under 100 Di will be fine, over that and you'll go through resin quickly and an ro long term is a better option.

Wfp can be done for 500 but it's tight. I managed it for 450ish, Di only. All my gear was from the cleaning warehouse, all solid gear and good quality. I got...

Water genie barracuda pole (27ft is 170+vat)

Water genie backpack 85ish + vat

11l Di vessel £102 + vat

4x 25l container's £6 each.

TDs meter £20

Rectus fitting £15ish.

This was 2 1/2 years ago so may have gone up a bit.

Hi everyone, I would be really grateful for your advice please, 

looking seriously into starting up part time window cleaning.  Looking at eventually 40 houses a week, what would my best set up be?

Will be using my Nissan note as transport.

Want the cheapest wfp option for 2-3bed houses.

I also need to be able to produce my own pure water unless anyone knows of suppliers in the Norwich/Great Yarmouth area. I’m a bit confused with the di or ro filter systems. I understand ro is more efficient but to see how things go I wanted a cheaper initial outlay which I could upgrade later if it all works out. 

Can I just use a di vessel?

have about £500 budget

many thanks for your knowledge and kindness in advance

jules

Thanks all, with the water so hard, I’ll have to invest in a ro system. Any ideas for starters? Part time cleaning, so hoping for 40 avg houses a week....eventually. What gallons per day would you advise please. 

I was thinking of Gardiner clx22 and backpack, 25 litre containers x 4, TDS meter, 60m hose reel for starters, plus unger ninja traditional kit.

Kind regards

jules

Get a 4040, it’ll be more expensive than the smaller RO systems, but its the most worthwhile investment you can make in your business. Nothing is more frustrating than being held back from working by your water supply. 

Back