Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Telescopic/Collapsible ladders - Any good?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jimi

Any of you good folks had any success or horror stories involving Telescopic ladders?

Looking at a set to shove in the car for doing quotes (access etc and quickly checking low level guttering etc).  I'm a couple of kebabs short of 15 stone and wondered about stability and general use.  The practical side of it compacting down and the weight are the big sells but if it begins to bow or loses clips after a few weeks itll be money up the spout.

Also, I have no roof rack to carry full ladders just yet!

Many thanks

Jimi

Avoid if you can Jimi. They bow like hell when you climb them and I’ve never trusted the clips on mine. Personally for the price you’d pay for a decent telescopic ladder you could buy a second hand roof rack and proper ladder. Have you looked at the folding variety? They are a lot more sturdy and once you are fully set up they are a great addition for home if your a DIYer. Think mine were from Wickes and have lasted over ten years through all kinds of abuse !!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

They are fine providing you replace them when they’re passed their best. I’ve used them for 4 years with no problems, had my replacement pair for about 3 months. So £80 for a set every 3 and a bit years? I think they’re good but make sure the clips “lock” when you extend the sections, as otherwise the “collapsible” certainly comes in to play. I understand why a lot of people wont use them but i feel perfectly safe on them to be honest. I am only 12 stone mind

I prefer the collapsible ladder, handy for when I need a ladder to get on a roof or can be turned into step ladders for the occasional conny roof or first floor gutter. They also work as a work platform as well.They come with steel played for that.

Cheers. Best set i looked at were 15ft and did the fold into a step ladder trick. Best of all they came with a 150kg working limit. Me + gear and bucket == 100ish.

Pretty sure they are the clicky ones. Untill I can get a van or volvo thisll probably do me in the short term and be a handy spare.

There always handy to have in the back of van. If you ever do internal windows there handy. Only other thing I would get is a ladder standoff. There not expensive. 

Telescopic ladders are absolutely fine for occasional use I've had mine for around 8 years now and they have stood the test of time but I am only 9st, The decent ones Screwfix sell them but you won't be able to reach gutter height with them. Don't tie a cloth on your ladders to look like a window cleaner that went out with the ark ?

Also with the telescopics you will get a much better price online or at LIDLS. Both of our pairs came with the stabilizer bar on the bottom, you really need to make sure you have this as i wouldn’t use them without. Most pairs actually dont come with a bar which i think is a bit pants. First pair i got on ebay were around £65 with a bar. Then when replacement time came it just so happened that getting a set with a bar was bloomin impossible. Lidls around the corner happened to have them. £80 job done. B&Q + screwfix sell them for around £200 i think so it’s good to shop around

.........There are telescopic ladders currently on offer at SCREWFIX !

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

I have a telescopic set have just them for a lot of job roofs flat roof and just to they do bow but never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Cheers.  I wasnt too convinced on the whole plastick locking mechanisms but they seem pretty robust. Ill no be carrying any hods of bricks up it anyways!

Back