Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Greasy residue on windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Panorama window cleaning

I had a customer i cleaned recently. There windows were really dirty so i used waterfed. Only thing was the water was repelled off the glass (not hydrophobic at all, more some kind of waterproof stiff)

I got them looking good after rinsing for ages but then noticed some spotting (as i was about to leave after receiving payment). I of course went over them all again and had assumed they were fine after that. I did tell the nice old man that there may be the odd spot and that its not totally uncommon on a 1st clean and if that were the case, id be sure to make them right if they called me back or on my next clean.

Well, when i drove past a few days ago, i slowed down as i drove past the front and noticed some blatant streaks. They were TERRIBLE! They were coming down off the small rectangular panes above the windows and almost had that multicolour look of leaked oil on a road (if that mashes sense)... couldve been my eyes though as i was just driving past

Anyway, im wondering if this is the residue that has run down? Do you guys know of any product thay people may try put on their windows to repel water? If so, do you usually just use a TFR to get rid of it?

I have not had any complaints from the customer (as i did manage his expectations) so am assuming he is just waiting for me to clean again.

Any similar experiences and recommendations?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Could be anything, top hung panes can be a nightmare. I’ve cleaned one house for over two years and no matter what I do it always drips onto the lower pane - usually after an hour or so!! If it’s a rainbow streak it’s most likely to be some sort of silicone spray they’ve used on the hinges/locks at some point, or they’ve had a pane replaced. Just stick your degreaser of choice on it, rinse well then go back at the end to do the lower pane once the top one is dry (assuming it’s a ground floor window). If that fails give it a quick dry with a microfibre.

I've come across something similar on a few windows. Looks like a slug trail. Turns out it was a slug trail. Not sure its the same though as that just needed a good scrub to get it off.
Mate if this sh*t is from a slug...i sure hope it doesn't live nearby anymore as itll have me there and then if i **** it off

BBQ Smoke?
Nah its front of house and they dont have a bbq anyway

Cilit bang grease is pretty good for removing the grease.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Got some no nonsence from screwfix as per a million recommendations so will try when im round next

Cilit bang grease is pretty good for removing the grease.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Got some no nonsence from screwfix as per a million recommendations so will try when im round next

Latest Posts

Back