Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Strange people!

chris clean

Just phoned an old couple who I have cleaned for a long time always give them a quick bell the night before as she asked me to. 

Me- hi ya how are you it's Chris the window cleaner

Her- oh hello we are well thankyou

Me- Great, just calling to let you know I will do your Windows tomorrow

Her- oh sorry we are ok from now on so don't come again.

Me- ok no worries can I just check if any reason

Her- well last time when you had cleaned I had my relative and very good friend and you rang my door bell as you know it's so loud cos husband can't hear well.

Me confused- ok well should I have not rang door as usual to get my money.

Her- well to be honest it was really embarrassing having to get up with that awful noise and it really has upset me!! 

Then she went On to say actually let's try one more time. No thanks me says I wouldn't want to upset you again ringing bell or knocking your door so I will leave it!

Some strange people out there I tell ya?

That is very strange mate!  The weirdest customer I ever met marched me round her windows after i'd been earlier to clean them and pointed out about 3 specs of dirt and that's not an exaggeration, they were specs lol.  Never did I go back there, she had a screw loose as the the neighbours later told me.

She might have p1ssed herself whilst sitting in the chair and the wet patch exposed when she sat up made her embarrassed?

I had one of my older customers lose her purse last week. I was sat in her kitchen for 45 minutes trying to sort it out like ringing shops she'd been to etc. I was none the wiser where she had visited first by the time I left ?

I had a customer get the hump because I didn’t except his Facebook friend request!

I explained I only keep Facebook as I follow two Millwall sites and two skinhead sites.

When I gave my opinion that people on Facebook that put on ‘location’ post to show off where they are, are complete show off bellends, he responded with ‘oh I often do that’ ?

Still clean his windows

I went to clean for some old woman in a little village in the hills near me. She originally booked in for every 2 months, started following me around watching what I was doing. Then she started asking questions about my family. I said we have 4 kids between us and she responded with ''Oh, you're one of those modern families are you?''. All of a sudden she changed her mind about regular cleaning and said she would call me when they next needed doing. Fine by me, not a fan of being followed round or having my family judged to be honest haha ?

I went to clean for some old woman in a little village in the hills near me. She originally booked in for every 2 months, started following me around watching what I was doing. Then she started asking questions about my family. I said we have 4 kids between us and she responded with ''Oh, you're one of those modern families are you?''. All of a sudden she changed her mind about regular cleaning and said she would call me when they next needed doing. Fine by me, not a fan of being followed round or having my family judged to be honest haha [emoji23]
Yeah thats not on at all fella. What possesses these people to be so negative?!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think she was living in the 60's, with both the decor of the house and her attitude to modern day living haha. Surprised she didn't try to pay me in shillings and farthings [emoji23][emoji23]
Haha i quoted an old lady last week. Was a bungalow so all ground level windows. There was a solid 25 quids worth of work as it REALLY opened up at the back and thete were loads windows . I didn't even bother with the 1st time clean Premium, i just said 25 every 4 weeks. She basically looked into my eyes so deep she could probably see my soul... and said, well thats very expensive, i usually pay 12. I just said im very sorry but i cant offer you my services for that much. Didnt even want to haggle as i knew she wouldn't budge. Her wall paper, carpets and interior aroma made my escape well worth it [emoji12]

I laughed reading your replies guys nice to know I'm not the only one with an odd customer or 2! @P4dstar that's bang out her saying that about your family it hacks me off when old people have  comments to me about my Mrs working etc. Some people are stuck in a past where people stayed in loveless relationships and were miserable there while lives. Dunno why they thought that was better or why they need to preach that rubbish to us younger guys

Definitely some strange people around. I got cancelled by a customer couple of years ago for cleaning the front door. She went totally mental about it. Was still shouting at the husband as I walked away. 

I laughed reading your replies guys nice to know I'm not the only one with an odd customer or 2! @P4dstar that's bang out her saying that about your family it hacks me off when old people have  comments to me about my Mrs working etc. Some people are stuck in a past where people stayed in loveless relationships and were miserable there while lives. Dunno why they thought that was better or why they need to preach that rubbish to us younger guys
Meh, people like that are a dying breed though man. As long as we're happy sod what anyone else thinks I reckon.

Definitely some strange people around. I got cancelled by a customer couple of years ago for cleaning the front door. She went totally mental about it. Was still shouting at the husband as I walked away. 
I've met the odd one who is particular about their front door. Was it a solid wood one that needed waxing or something? I have a couple of little cottages with doors like that, they have specifically told me not to touch them.

Haha i quoted an old lady last week. Was a bungalow so all ground level windows. There was a solid 25 quids worth of work as it REALLY opened up at the back and thete were loads windows . I didn't even bother with the 1st time clean Premium, i just said 25 every 4 weeks. She basically looked into my eyes so deep she could probably see my soul... and said, well thats very expensive, i usually pay 12. I just said im very sorry but i cant offer you my services for that much. Didnt even want to haggle as i knew she wouldn't budge. Her wall paper, carpets and interior aroma made my escape well worth it
emoji12.png

There is a good argument that you should lose some of your quotes from being too expensive, thats how you know you're charging the right amount. I don't lose many quotes, there are a couple of new build estates where I only get about 50% of what I quote because I quote the same prices I do in more affluent areas. It would appear i've only picked up people who can afford to pay for quality in these areas and having higher prices means I have missed the scummy ones.

There needs to be a balance though. I've picked up a good days work in Tetbury. Just outside the town are some seriously huge houses. The royals have property there, loads of celebs etc. Some of the work is larger houses, others are just on the local council estate, 3 bed semi type stuff. The problem is the local windies were quoting £35-45 quid a clean because they know its an affluent area. I think they're daft, I have picked up a load of decent £15-20 jobs, they pay on the day no issues. I also have a customer in a huge country house, he's famous enough that I had to sign a confidentiality waver before his PA would even introduce me and he has always paid late because he's busy jet setting around the world... Worth adding i've only actually done 2 cleans for him. Also by the time I've spent a morning on his property I could have earned the same drinking tea and chatting to the oldies on the council estate.

I remember one that didn't like it that I didn't come on exactly same day every time & also would refuse to pay if wife wasn't there saying her job to pay not him. Such as arrogant man

Haha i quoted an old lady last week. Was a bungalow so all ground level windows. There was a solid 25 quids worth of work as it REALLY opened up at the back and thete were loads windows . I didn't even bother with the 1st time clean Premium, i just said 25 every 4 weeks. She basically looked into my eyes so deep she could probably see my soul... and said, well thats very expensive, i usually pay 12. I just said im very sorry but i cant offer you my services for that much. Didnt even want to haggle as i knew she wouldn't budge. Her wall paper, carpets and interior aroma made my escape well worth it [emoji12]

A skinflint.Not worth your breath

I've got a woman mid 40s who writes pretty ass for her reference lol 

Trollop

There is a good argument that you should lose some of your quotes from being too expensive, thats how you know you're charging the right amount. I don't lose many quotes, there are a couple of new build estates where I only get about 50% of what I quote because I quote the same prices I do in more affluent areas. It would appear i've only picked up people who can afford to pay for quality in these areas and having higher prices means I have missed the scummy ones.

There needs to be a balance though. I've picked up a good days work in Tetbury. Just outside the town are some seriously huge houses. The royals have property there, loads of celebs etc. Some of the work is larger houses, others are just on the local council estate, 3 bed semi type stuff. The problem is the local windies were quoting £35-45 quid a clean because they know its an affluent area. I think they're daft, I have picked up a load of decent £15-20 jobs, they pay on the day no issues. I also have a customer in a huge country house, he's famous enough that I had to sign a confidentiality waver before his PA would even introduce me and he has always paid late because he's busy jet setting around the world... Worth adding i've only actually done 2 cleans for him. Also by the time I've spent a morning on his property I could have earned the same drinking tea and chatting to the oldies on the council estate.

Who's the celeb then padstar ?

I’m in the process of drumming up new business as I’ve moved to a new town. I do a lot of commercial buildings. I went into a shoe store and gave them a really low price...$15 for 5 windows(I’m in America ya’ll). She says “that’s way too cheap honey! You gotta charge more than that!” I moved my price up and she refused saying she can’t do business with someone who changes their prices.

BTW, great forums. Learning a lot from you pros. Except pricing. The only pounds I’ve got are the ones I see on my bathroom scale.

Back