Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Losing pressure

WCF

Help Support WCF:

markg

Hi, I run 2 wfp off the same shurfo pump and variestream controller, not ideal I know but it's worked for years. Today I started to lose pressure. Only really noticed when the poles were fully extended. I run a di set up. The battery runs off a split relay. I thought it might be an air lock, checked all the connections. I lowered the pump and controller to force it through, this helps but when I raise it to it's normal spot the pressure dies. The pump btw isn't making any unusual noises. Help[emoji35]1533744933330~2.jpeg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Have you ruled out air locks completely? I had the exact same setup for years (same model varistream same pump).

I had an issue where it was a similar problem and I removed the inline filter and the problem went away. I think the filter was letting air in somehow.

Have you ruled out air locks completely? I had the exact same setup for years (same model varistream same pump).
I had an issue where it was a similar problem and I removed the inline filter and the problem went away. I think the filter was letting air in somehow.
I've had lots of airlocks over the years I usually hold my finger on the outlet on the di vessel to force the airlock through. I cleaned the inline filter today and noticed housing was very cloudy. Will take out or replace tomorrow. Cheers

The best way to remove airlocks is to turn the pump up to full and allow the output to flow with as little impedance as possible.

I used to just unplug the hose from the reel and let it run in the gutter to clear airlocks if the water level ever dipped below the outlet to the pump, but now I have a 2 way tap after the pumps that I call a flush valve. It can divert the water from the output of the pump directly back into the tank with as little resistance as possible. This is handy for clearing airlocks (or relieving system pressure).

The best way to remove airlocks is to turn the pump up to full and allow the output to flow with as little impedance as possible.
I used to just unplug the hose from the reel and let it run in the gutter to clear airlocks if the water level ever dipped below the outlet to the pump, but now I have a 2 way tap after the pumps that I call a flush valve. It can divert the water from the output of the pump directly back into the tank with as little resistance as possible. This is handy for clearing airlocks (or relieving system pressure).
Makes sense. Any chance you could post a photo tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Take the leisure battery out of the van and bench charge it, if it hits a full charge fairly quickly the battery may need replacing.

I would also monitor the voltage when the pump is running in the working conditions to see if the voltage drops quite a bit.

If the battery has never had a decent charge in 3 years then it could be cream crackered a battery on its way out can be fine one day then fail the next which is usually shows in lost pressure at the brush head.

County Durham Lad

Hi, I run 2 wfp off the same shurfo pump and variestream controller, not ideal I know but it's worked for years. Today I started to lose pressure. Only really noticed when the poles were fully extended. I run a di set up. The battery runs off a split relay. I thought it might be an air lock, checked all the connections. I lowered the pump and controller to force it through, this helps but when I raise it to it's normal spot the pressure dies. The pump btw isn't making any unusual noises. Help[emoji35]View attachment 14518

Is there a reason why everyone fits their pumps with the writing upside down? I’ve fitted mine with the writing the right way up and never had any issues. I didn’t think it mattered as the trolley systems even have them sideways but upside down seems to be the preferred way. Sorry for going a little off topic.

Thanks@Skxawng you were spot on with the inline filter. I removed it put the controller on boost, changed a few connectors and flushed out the mother of all airlocks. I already have a strainer from the tank to the pump inlet. I was Probably overkill. Seems to be better than before. ( Touch wood) if you ever get the chance to take a picture of your set up I would be grateful. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks@Skxawng you were spot on with the inline filter. I removed it put the controller on boost, changed a few connectors and flushed out the mother of all airlocks. I already have a strainer from the tank to the pump inlet. I was Probably overkill. Seems to be better than before. ( Touch wood) if you ever get the chance to take a picture of your set up I would be grateful. Thanks to all for the help.

Glad it worked ? its a bit hard to picture it as all the hoses go through the box sections of the chassis (seemed like a good idea at the time but bad for freezing in winter!)

Is there a reason why everyone fits their pumps with the writing upside down? I’ve fitted mine with the writing the right way up and never had any issues. I didn’t think it mattered as the trolley systems even have them sideways but upside down seems to be the preferred way. Sorry for going a little off topic.

2 reasons. 1st, you want to keep the pump head as low as possible to help avoid airlocks and 2nd, makes sense to keep the electronic part above the wet part in case of leaks.

2 reasons. 1st, you want to keep the pump head as low as possible to help avoid airlocks and 2nd, makes sense to keep the electronic part above the wet part in case of leaks.
Good points although I’ve never had any airlock issues and also used to use it as part of my trolley set up and it got wet through when it was raining which never affected the wiring or electrics. I just always thought it was weird the surflo labelled them this way but everyone fitted them the opposite way.

Latest Posts

Back