Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

prefilters quality

WCF

Help Support WCF:

trevor peacock

I bought a 450gpd ro system from colinswaterproducts a couple of years ago.

I bought 6 x sets of 10" prefilters from him for £43.99.

image.png

I need to get some more, I'm on my last set.

I know you can get different quality membranes, does the same apply to prefilters?

These suppliers sell r/o products that suit fish keeping.

The 10" GAC filter has a service life of 10000 liters of chlorine removal. That's not good enough in our industry IMHO. I have no idea what the other C/B's service life is so that's something you have to find out. It may also be 10000 liters. (Interestingly the 20" GAC filter has the same service life which doesn't make sense to me.)

You need to be looking at a better quality of carbon block such as a Fiberdyne filter. A 10" is good for around 36000 liters.

The membranes they sell are cheap Asian ones. They don't need to be highly efficient. In our industry we need the best performing membranes. If not, then we are going to spend more on resin polishing the remaining tds of the pure off.

Interesting website. There are alot of items that can be pretty hard to get hold of cheaply.
I read the Pentek eo-10 reduces Chlorine up to 22,700lts per filter @ £13/£15 per filter, finest filters 10" carbon block filter you say does 10,000lts well at £15:00 for 5 that's 50,000lts isn't that good value. If I've got this all wrong I apologise now.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The GAC filter having seen peoples membranes that have used then I would not use as they let out a lot of carbon dust which can block the membrane. GAC filter only is for drinking water to improve the taste so I would use another carbon filter x 2. You may has seen this when you changed your membranes Trevor.

Buy [emoji90] pay twice or x3 and more as membranes are way more expensive than filters, I would rather pay a higher price for quality filters from a reputable supplier.

County Durham Lad

sorry if I'm thick but I need some clarification.

My 450gpd system takes three 10" prefilters, a micron sediment filter, GAC granular activated carbon filter and a CTO block carbon filter.

colinswaterproducts told me they were good for about 11,500 lts per set.

At £43.99 for 6 sets of filters, that's less than £2.50 each, it seems good value.

I've seen other filters sold individually but at higher prices, they might be better quality but for value these seem the best?

And Doug, thanks for your post, but most of the RO systems have three pre filters where as yours only have the two.

If you only need two why do the others have three?

sorry for being a pain!!!!

sorry if I'm thick but I need some clarification.

My 450gpd system takes three 10" prefilters, a micron sediment filter, GAC granular activated carbon filter and a CTO block carbon filter.

colinswaterproducts told me they were good for about 11,500 lts per set.

At £43.99 for 6 sets of filters, that's less than £2.50 each, it seems good value.

I've seen other filters sold individually but at higher prices, they might be better quality but for value these seem the best?

And Doug, thanks for your post, but most of the RO systems have three pre filters where as yours only have the two.

If you only need two why do the others have three?

sorry for being a pain!!!!
They build them mainly for drinking water where we don’t need that specification. All that the GAC does is make water taste nice for drinking so not necessary for window cleaning. For fish keeping instead of a GAC filter they use a sediment filter.

They build them mainly for drinking water where we don’t need that specification. All that the GAC does is make water taste nice for drinking so not necessary for window cleaning. For fish keeping instead of a GAC filter they use a sediment filter.
Doesn't the GAC filter remove chlorine?

Also, looking at your website, the package that includes a sediment filter and a spectrum ECB carbon filter, it says that the ECB only has a capacity of 6000L is that right? Is that only with high concentrations of chlorine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the GAC filter remove chlorine?

Also, looking at your website, the package that includes a sediment filter and a spectrum ECB carbon filter, it says that the ECB only has a capacity of 6000L is that right? Is that only with high concentrations of chlorine?

That's what the Spectrum spec sheet says. The 20" is twice that.

This is why I always got Fiberfyne from Gardiners as that filter has a longer service life. 12000 liters for me isn't good enough.

Gardiners haven't increased their prices on imported Fiberdyne filter so the price is good compared to other suppliers. GAPS water also supplies Fiberdyne prefilters as does Grippatank. For my situation Fiberdyne are the best for me as they are 5 micron. I have tried a long service life 1 micron carbon block but even with a sediment filter (5 micron) the c/b filter became blocked with sediment long before its service life was reached.

Yes, Gardiners are discontinuing some of their water filtration lines.

Yes, GAC does also remove chlorine. The still sealed 20" one under my desk says it does and is good for 2500 gallons. As the filter is made in the USA it will be US gallons (4 liters) so 10000 liters in our speak. That's a waste of time for me.

There is also another option of filling a di vessel with activated acid washed carbon granuals but this is geared more toward the higher end of water production.

Back